DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

Part of the reason why Brandi used to be his ringside manager was so they could be introduced as "Cody and Brandi Rhodes", but now that she's not doing that any more and has her own angle starting... Cody getting his fake real surname back, it could work as one of those "meaningless things of great personal value" things. 

That shit always crossed my mind. 

Some wrestlers do the thing where they have a fake name, a real name, and a fake real name. Like Bree Bella being Brianna Bryan.

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I remember hearing someone, maybe Ventura, slip and call Gorilla "Gino Monsoon."

On the name tip, we all should have known Seth Rollins was a douchebag when he took his initial gimmick name from Fight Club and Harry Potter.

And of course it had to be Sirius Black. A real hero would choose the name Neville as he was the best and the realest hero.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And of course it had to be Sirius Black. A real hero would choose the name Neville as he was the best and the realest hero.

But "Black" is sooo much "cooler".  And Seth is cool, you know.

Just now, Raziel said:

But "Black" is sooo much "cooler".  And Seth is cool, you know.

Yeah. Black is so edgy and cool. Check out my wardrobe which consists of jeans, black joggers, and 30 Blackcraft Cult t-shirts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I remember hearing someone, maybe Ventura, slip and call Gorilla "Gino Monsoon."

On the name tip, we all should have known Seth Rollins was a douchebag when he took his initial gimmick name from Fight Club and Harry Potter.

Jesse called Gorilla Gino quite often on commentary.

I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone speak ill of the awesomeness that was Tyler Durden. Alexander Hammerstone pulls off the Tyler Durden look wonderfully, fwiw. To make matters worse, Colby Lopez is besmirching the good name of Henry Rollins. He should really just wrestle under his shoot name because Colby Lopez screams "uncool, douchebag".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cody said in an interview last month:

“I can use it. I won’t use it though. That’s not everyone’s favorite answer, but I got the rub off that name plenty. The reason I don’t use it is this – this isn’t the romantic Game of Thrones answer that everyone wants, but the reason I don’t use it is, I got so used to being ‘The American Nightmare’ Cody in Japan, and I love that. I love the idea of trying my damnedest to get a single name over. I got the rub off of Dusty and my family long enough. I don’t mind not using it. You’ll see it every now and then, some people, they already know, so if it’s here, it’s here, if it’s not, it’s not. But by no means is WWE holding that name hostage, that is not a real thing. If I was to walk out tomorrow as Cody Rhodes and announced as Cody Rhodes, nobody’s gonna sue us, nobody’s coming after us. There’s a lot of respect between the families that are involved here. So, no. I just like using my first name.”

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Funny how Shawn Spears went from the "match of the year" as everyone keeps telling me against Cody to a match against a comedy guy on Dark this week.   

Most people now seem to think the former Tye Dillinger deserved to be where he was on NXT as an opener.  I really think AEW could get more out of him than they are now since they have a roster deficit in the middle of the singles roster (which would be a promotion for Spears).  It does feel like a waste of Tully (who should have a larger role on the show) but I think Spears could be the heater for a crown jewel of a stable.  No reason for him to have goofy contacts or haircut though.  

• Like 1

So Rowan looks like he’s being phased out. If you were AEW, would you pick him up? I would honestly, as an enhancement giant. He can go out there, and look impressive tossing around, and then he job out in under 7 minutes against a Darby, PAC, or Omega. Yes this is me asking to pull another play out of the WCW playbook, but it just work when a giant gets his ass beat, instead of a medium sized little guy.

I’m personally looking forward to some Big Swole so I’ll definitely be catching it. But yeah match up wise, there ain’t anything interesting outside of that match. Which is fine. When I watch these shows I expect that. But they need  in character kayfabe interviews. I want to see how Private Party parties. I want to see where MJF gets his bagels. I want to see Proud & Powerful gang banging on Badstreet USA.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

AEW might have a problem- people are getting mad at Jericho for embracing Trump Jr today on his podcast, which might also bring out some of the things Hager said recently that were rather bigoted (he went on a huge anti-LGBT spiel recently)

Given the nature/age of AEW's fanbase, they might get a real backlash or some nasty chants tomorrow.

I know they are just getting these guys some work in an arena setting. But, they need to make these matches on Dark shorter. The show doesn’t need to be an hour long. Maybe closer to 40 minutes. The Britt interview was good, and more of that is welcome. The Jimmy Havoc interview wasn’t. I’ve liked some of the Cody interviews, but on a wrestling show I don’t want to see these. I want more kayfabe stuff, and kayfabe stuff that is exclusive to Dark. That’s what most secondary shows for wrestling promotions should be, but that was abandoned a long time ago.

7 hours ago, alstein said:

AEW might have a problem- people are getting mad at Jericho for embracing Trump Jr today on his podcast, which might also bring out some of the things Hager said recently that were rather bigoted (he went on a huge anti-LGBT spiel recently)

Given the nature/age of AEW's fanbase, they might get a real backlash or some nasty chants tomorrow.

I would definitely agree with those that have issue with all this but I just don't see the chants happening.

5 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

Cancel culture is running wild though. Honestly who gives a shit except for people with too much time on their hands.

I'm all for people cancelling things that bother them (have done that myself the past year or two)  But unless I feel it's fine to give an opinion on it to somebody then it's just not worth me bringing it up.  I haven't even told my wife about it and we tell each other everything.  Sometimes people need to keep things to themselves but this being the internet that just doesn't happen.

Switching gears to Dark I thought Sadie had a better showing but she still has a ways to go.  And I haven't enjoyed a heel commentator this much since Heenan (not meaning to compare the two)  But MJF was so damn funny while also putting over talent in his own way that I would be thrilled if he did this more often.

Randy Orton has resigned to the WWE so he isn’t going to AEW.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/randy-orton-signs-new-wwe-contract-296681

Going back to a couple pages back with the discussion of how WWE builds stars and how no one is bigger than the brand I think if The New Day showed up in AEW they would be a big get and would move the needle. Kofi could be a big star outside of the WWE if he ever wanted to leave.