DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Is Proud & Powerful what they went with for the name of the former LAX?

Woof.

I‘ve come around to it. The way it’s pronounced is how it comes together. It’s never “Proud & Powerful”, they’ll instead say “They are the Proud & Powerful” on commentary.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:41 PM, goodhelmet said:

So, after a month of TV, I think creatively and aesthetically, it's  a success. I watched 2 episodes live, and although I didn't always enjoy the wrestling, I enjoyed the TV show.  So easy to watch. I know JR gets criticized,  but it's so refreshing hearing announcers who aren't talking in corporate Vince-speak. I like how they are searching for their groove. Sometimes, they are a little too wrestling heavy but everything feels exciting. The angles and promos they have pulled off are top notch.  

The big concern, maybe, is that they haven't been able to retain viewers.  They need a rebound week.  Every week, the numbers have been lower than the week before. No World Series, no more excuses. Gain viewers, don't lose them. I'm still excited for this company but I want the world to be excited too. 

I wonder if it's just a case over-saturation.  How many casual fans want to watch 4-8 (or more) hours a week.  I'm fairly interested in AEW, but even attempting to keep up with the eight hours of national tv that's on a week is exhausting.  

I watch Raw and Smackdown some but I'm not a diehard.  I generally watch very little RAW during football season and am not home most of the time on Fridays.  I gave up trying to keep up with the indy and Japan a long time ago.  So,when AEW started, I figured I'd try to watch Dynamite and NXT - on tape delay with fast-forwarding.  That's only about 3 hours a week (ff through the commercials, at least) and I can answer email or whatever while the show is on.

That lasted three weeks.  Week four, I watched about an hour of AEW and tapped out,  NXT was the same result after just a few minutes.  I haven't watched anything from last week.  Don't have the time and it seems like a hassle to even try,

I like what I've seen of AEW.  The production values have been good and the presentation works.  I've having a harder time with the wrestling.  Already seems like an awful lot of 20 min matches that don't need to be 20 min long.  I like long matches, but I don't need to see so many long midcard matches.  For all that I dislike about WWE shows, SDL feels like it does more in 2 hrs. than AEW (granted, a lot of what they do, I could do without).

It's also jarring to see so many INDY acts on national tv.  Say what you want about WWE, but their presentation usually smoothes out rough edges.  And when it can't, those acts don't get on tv much.  I want to like Private Party, for example, but nothing about them feels like they're ready for this spotlight.  I like spot machines just fine when those machines are polished (I'm fine with the Young Bucks, for example), but PP just annoys me.  A lot of their spots look overly choreographed, they guys have good looks that suit the gimmick, their ring attire is so indy it's painful, etc.  Nothing really wrong with them that a few years of seasoning won't fix, but I feel like they're in no way ready for the spot they are in.

Have the same issue with Riho.  She's not awful or anything, but she doesn't project "athletic" well at all.  I'm generally fine with joshi so tiny Japanese women aren't a problem, but Riho doesn't put herself over as a serious athlete who should be beating other serious female wrestlers.  I can buy Asuka/Kana, Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo/Kairi Sane, etc. as athletes.  Riho.... looks like Io should break her in half.

Like I said.  It's barely been a month and I already feel burnt out.  That's my main issue.

Edited by Whodathunkit
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You really don’t think the AEW fans don’t know who Roman, and Seth are? They definitely knew who Moxley was when he jumped. In fact I would say AEW fans know the top stars of the WWE more so than WCW fans did about the WWF’s stars at that very time. Go back and watch Hall’s debut. You could hear a pin drop during that entire segment. Barely anybody knew who the guy in the Canadian Tux with the slick back hair was.

Maybe they were just confused.

"Hey, it's Diamond Studd. Where's he been for the last five years?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Those three are going to need gimmicks if they are on jobber duty. 

I kinda miss "God's Gift" QT Marshall. Perfect gimmick for a lowercard heel.

This apple thing doesn't do much for me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peck said:

I kinda miss "God's Gift" QT Marshall. Perfect gimmick for a lowercard heel.

This apple thing doesn't do much for me.

The apple gimmick could be wonderful if done right. Just think of the variety of apples at a grocery store. Now think of him bringing out a mackintosh apple, and Excalibur gives us “Facts” about the apple he’s eating tonight. His gear can also match the different apples he carries to the ring.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The apple gimmick could be wonderful if done right. Just think of the variety of apples at a grocery store. Now think of him bringing out a mackintosh apple, and Excalibur gives us “Facts” about the apple he’s eating tonight. His gear can also match the different apples he carries to the ring.

Hashtag That’s Not Cool 

• Haha 2

I was just thinking of something this morning. Looking at the upcoming schedule they have, it looks like they are going after an untapped(And somewhat forgotten) southern wrasslin market. So if they are determined to do just that, then they should think about potentially picking up James Storm if he’s ever available. He’d make a neat old Vs. new rivalry with Hangman. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was just thinking of something this morning. Looking at the upcoming schedule they have, it looks like they are going after an untapped(And somewhat forgotten) southern wrasslin market. So if they are determined to do just that, then they should think about potentially picking up James Storm if he’s ever available. He’d make a neat old Vs. new rivalry with Hangman. 

I like that idea but feel he's better off in NWA.  And as of right now for any southern-style wrestler I can think of I'd rather they do NWA instead unless there was some kind of agreement between both companies a la AEW/MLW's agreements.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like that idea but feel he's better off in NWA.  And as of right now for any southern-style wrestler I can think of I'd rather they do NWA instead unless there was some kind of agreement between both companies a la AEW/MLW's agreements.

The upside of say him coming to AEW is that Cody is there. Ever since Cody had that match with Nick Aldis, he’s been recreating that build, and having that match. So you’d think the programs Cody is involved with BTS, he’ll try the same for those guys.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 4:17 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So this Cody announcement thing. Does anybody think it might be health related? We haven’t seen Cody wrestle since the AEW Dark multi-man, and he’s only had one singles match since the start of Dynamite. 

I assume it's him going as Cody Rhodes again.

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

I assume it's him going as Cody Rhodes again.

That would be cool.  Only going as "Cody" makes him sound like a Final Fight character, germane to AEW's video game vibe though it may be.

Also, the it drives the grammar/logic stickler in me up the wall when Cody teams with someone who does have a last name, and they announce Cody first, making it sound like they're related.  IE "Cody....and Kenny Omega!"

• Like 2

Seems weird to base a big announcement over him using his last name again...Or maybe not weird, but that definitely doesn't sound like big announcement material considering when he comes out the graphic on screen already shows @CodyRhodes. 

Part of the reason why Brandi used to be his ringside manager was so they could be introduced as "Cody and Brandi Rhodes", but now that she's not doing that any more and has her own angle starting... Cody getting his fake real surname back, it could work as one of those "meaningless things of great personal value" things. 

On a different subject, Allie. The thing is, she was Cherry Bomb on the indie circuit (and on TNA One Night Onlys) for years and years. But when Impact signed for full time, they gave her a non-wrestler gimmick as Maria Kanellis' secretary Allie, where she was nervous and got bullied. And though she eventually got in the ring, they had her wrestling like a trainee and being nervous and tentative in there. And it seems like even though the character has moved on from that, she might be stuck in the mindset of "This is how the Allie character wrestles" and it's making her look greener than she is. Plus she's trying to do a lovable underdog character even though that's Riho's spot.

Edited by AxB

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Part of the reason why Brandi used to be his ringside manager was so they could be introduced as "Cody and Brandi Rhodes", but now that she's not doing that any more and has her own angle starting... Cody getting his fake real surname back, it could work as one of those "meaningless things of great personal value" things. 

"fake"