DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

I’d be okay with it if they plan on doing a mini round robin tournament with the top five in each division before they restart. Which you can start near the end of this month, and finish before January. If not, then what was the point of the top five rankings being revealed so soon?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So Filthy Tom is done with MLW as he didn't re-sign with them. I know there will be talk of him going to AEW or NJPW or NXT. I'm kinda torn with him going to AEW if only because I think he would get slotted in with folks like Jimmy Havoc, Sonny Kiss, or anyone sub-Shawn Spears. I love Tom and all and some of that comes from his time posting here, but he felt like a bigger fish in MLW and I worry he just gets lost in the shuffle in AEW. Same thing would probably happen with him in NXT and I doubt he's going to want to move his family all the way out west to Orlando. Plus, it would likely mean the end of the Filthy 4 Daily. I'd be happy for him to get the AEW payday, but I just don't know if he would perform at the top of the card.

Although, if they introduce a secondary championship, he could easily hover around that level.

• Like 1

I haven't been paying as much attention to the ranking stuff as others here, so this may have been explained already, but... how does it work? So, Jericho has a singles record of 5-0 or 6-0 or something like that. I assume that's the best record in the company. If he loses the title, he goes to 6-1 let's say, so a record of +5. Let's say, the next guy is at +2. Is Jericho then automatically the next contender for the next few times until someone catches up to him? So Jericho could eat a couple of losses and still be the #1 contender?

It looks like Scorpio Sky may challenge next, but I don't think his singles record would put him in that spot. Are they doing a thing where pinning the champion gives extra points?

I don’t think it’s an exact science. I’m sure they will continually fudge their way through the rankings where needed.

I’d love to see someone like Nakazawa fluke a win on the first show of the year and then refuse to wrestle a match for the rest of the calendar year just so that he can finish the period with a 100% record.  He can then claim he is due a title shot for being the only guy with a perfect record!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I don’t think it’s an exact science. I’m sure they will continually fudge their way through the rankings where needed.

I’d love to see someone like Nakazawa fluke a win on the first show of the year and then refuse to wrestle a match for the rest of the calendar year just so that he can finish the period with a 100% record.  He can then claim he is due a title shot for being the only guy with a perfect record!

A Mikey Whipreck gimmick where a guy gets killed but keeps winning by DQ and moves up the rankings would be amazing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, alstein said:

To establish that there are rankings.

I really would want to see an AEW version of the G1 at some point.

I think if they were to do a G1 or and annual tournament they could use the records to determine the entrance and maybe then have all the tournament matches not count against their record. I could see them running stuff like this instead of the battle royals they put together for number one contenderships they've done.

I thought it would've been better if they waited until after the first year of Dynamite to restart the records but I guess the beginning of the year is better. I assume they have more of an idea of how to book around the records after haven't weekly TV and the first PPV since than. Alot of AEW haters knock the idea but it sets them apart from everyone else especially WWE. Khan really wants to make this work.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:
Spears is getting better on the mic. Tully is great as always.

Is Spears getting better? His talking juxtaposed with Tully's just exposes how weak his shit sounds. Tully had some legitimate sounding anger (Decker looked shook!) and emotion in his voice. Spears sounded like he was in a casting room trying to get a role on a cable TV show from the '90s. The quicker they move on from Spears the better. Tully is a fucking legend, one of wrestling's great talkers, and his connection to Tessa would hopefully have some sway on signing her when the day comes. He should be used so much more prominently than this shit.

• Like 4