DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Agreed with Craig on the songs. Some could certainly be better but they have grown on me. 

The 205 Live atmosphere for the post show Dark matches really hurts the quality. Evans/Omega was goodish but I couldn't get into it because of how done the crowd was at that point. 

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed with Craig on the songs. Some could certainly be better but they have grown on me. 

The 205 Live atmosphere for the post show Dark matches really hurts the quality. Evans/Omega was goodish but I couldn't get into it because of how done the crowd was at that point. 

It's rare where a crowd that hot can maintain that level of enthusiasm all night long. I'm assuming Dark was taped after Dynamite again? They probably should tape a couple of those beforehand and one after. They also don't all have to be long matches.

I was thinking about this after watching BTE this week because I feel like BTE is hitting another stride, but Dark would be best with maybe a couple 5 minute matches, maybe slightly longer and a match that's a little longer than that, maybe 15 minutes. The rest of Dark should have some skits from BTE, the ones that "fit" for Dark anyway. For example, the angle at the end of BTE would be perfect for DARK and then they could show the follow up to that next Tuesday. And then do ECW Pulp Fiction style promos and segments to fill out the rest.

• Like 1

That would be ideal. I think they do one dark match prior to Dynamite and then two afterwards. The main event is always after Dynamite to entice fans to stick around and that's always the match that isn't nearly as good as it should be because of the lack of crowd participation/buy in. Shorter matches and more BTE or original content like the Shanna video or promos is a great idea. And hell yeah to a Pulp Fiction conclusion. 

That blown replay during Omega-Evans was pretty silly, but quality control seems to be an afterthought for all these online shows. Match itself was good. I know the crowd was quieter than you'd want for an Omega match, but that was Rock-Hogan compared to your average 205 Live match. 

When I'm wishing wrestlers I like would get into the ring faster so they can cut the music, that feels like a problem (although it may be a me problem). The best themes are still those that guys already had pre-AEW (Cody, Hangman), along with Darby's (and I don't know what theme he was using pre-AEW).

Guest The Magnificent 7

Popping in to say the Dark Order video was awesome last week. It was like that commercial from Total Recall. 

For clarity, the good Total Recall. 

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That blown replay during Omega-Evans was pretty silly, but quality control seems to be an afterthought for all these online shows.

See that bugs me. They chose to do this to have an extra hype program for Wednesdays, and the least they could do is put more effort into the post production of it. Makes me realize that nobody in the company really cares about Dark. If they did it would be just as tightly produced as Dynamite. I would honestly prefer they don’t bother airing it if they aren’t planning on putting the effort.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Like others said, most of the themes have started to grow on me. I like Kenny’s music well enough but surely the point of an entrance video is to hype people up, and so it’s puzzling that the first thing you see is him just wandering around Japan like a jet lagged Western tourist. It doesn’t really scream ‘star’ to me. 

I like PnP, Dustin, Allin and MJF’s themes the best so far.

Dark can come off as a real amateur hour.  I’m not sure why they flipped the two women’s matches in the order they aired but having a reference to the Kong match in the Shana match is so sloppy.  Also they talked through a replay that didn’t show up onscreen during Trent-Pentagon. 
Spears was ... ok.  He seemed to be reading the heel commentary handbook from cover to cover.  It didn’t come off as interesting or organic. 

Trent v Pentagon was infuriating from a ‘this is a match that don’t mean shit and they’re doing apron piledriver spots’.  Like holy mackerel, I would hate to see what these guys would do if they were actually mad at each other. The execution was fine but Christ.

Shana’s package was okay, I think it will work for this audience. Swole’s rebuttal felt more emotional and made the most of her 30 seconds to get herself over.  The match was the usual back and forth, overly long AEW match.  There was some sloppiness to the execution but the bigger issue is the lack of character work from Shana.

Kong squashing the Librarians worked for me. I would have Kong scalp Avalon’s silly ponytail personally.  But it seemed odd to put this on Dark rather than the big show to showcase Kong’s in ring return debut.

I don’t get putting another company’s belt on your show when  Kenny is working a angle where he is losing his big matches.  I think it contradicts the narrative for no return.

1 minute ago, Goodear said:

Also they talked through a replay that didn’t show up onscreen during Trent-Pentagon. 

It wasn’t just there, but in all the matches. You could even hear the audio of the replay. If I was running the company I would tell them to pull down the episode, and fix all the issues to make a point. Fuck somebody needs to put there foot down. I enjoy the laxness to the booking, but some things in the ship need to be tightened.

• Like 1

Tonight, Scorpio Sky becomes AEW World Champion!!

How do I know?

How did I know Jericho would defeat Omega with a sudden Judas Elbow?

How did I know Jericho would defeat Cody my MJF throwing in the scarf..err..towel?

Scorpio Sky’s victory tonight will be another indication of Tony Khan’s genius, unpredictable, make stars booking.

How do I know this is going down tonight?

Simply....

The Shadow knows.

• Thanks 1

My favourite bit about there being a world title match tonight is that they have a tweet up promoting the match between Page and MJF asking who's taking the top price tonight, like the world title doesn't matter. It's like Jericho and Sky are an afterthought. Heck, they're pimping Jericho's celebration more than the title match. 

As much as I like them promoting things in advance, this should be a pretty easy to call TV title defense for Jericho. Especially after Mox almost called him out in his post-show promo last week.

Speaking of promoting things in advance, is there any word on who Cody's wrestling?

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I love this cover of Jimmy Havoc's theme. I think Adam Massacre has done themes for ROH in the past.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Speaking of promoting things in advance, is there any word on who Cody's wrestling?

When they promote that “So, and so is in action” that’s usually code word for enhancement match. So we’ll see.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's rare where a crowd that hot can maintain that level of enthusiasm all night long. I'm assuming Dark was taped after Dynamite again? They probably should tape a couple of those beforehand and one after. They also don't all have to be long matches.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That would be ideal. I think they do one dark match prior to Dynamite and then two afterwards. The main event is always after Dynamite to entice fans to stick around and that's always the match that isn't nearly as good as it should be because of the lack of crowd participation/buy in. Shorter matches and more BTE or original content like the Shanna video or promos is a great idea. And hell yeah to a Pulp Fiction conclusion. 

I don't know about the other shows, but in Philly there was one Dark match before Dynamite and two after.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Fair point. Avalon, you're up!

You’d think they’d try and position more than one wrestler as ‘jobber with a gimmick’ but the Librarian is that person. In fact, the Librarian is that one person on the women’s side too. It’s like it was their placeholder label for the bottom of the totem pole when planning out all the divisions and they just went ‘eh, let’s just do that’.