DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

*original post meant for Dynamite thread

Um, I liked Taz on Dark. He’s goofy as all hell but it works. Taz reminded me of 2002 SmackDown Taz. He was back on his A game. I was happy to see him on the Buy In. He’s a good addition to the commentary team.  

They should do the original 2-hour Nitro thing of split announce teams. Taz, and Goldenboy first hour, then Excalibur, JR, and Tony 2nd hour. Or maybe switch Tony, and Goldenboy. I don’t trust Goldenboy yet to lead an announce team.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Terrible. He should be fined $10,000 for each use of the gun on Wednesday and suspended indefinitely. At least. Additionally, attaching photos looks like AEW is trying to get attention for the outrageous nature of Jimmy's actions and have it both ways. Horrible. Tony Khan should apologize immediately and have his team re-do the tweet without the pictures. #CancelHavoc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Rankings are out. Hikaru Shida is top contender already.

Do matches on Dark count towards records when they happen, or when they air (are uploaded)? Unless they ban ranked wrestlers or teams from competing on Dark from now on (in sanctioned matches, in the division they're ranked in).

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 3:46 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I like Taz, but, for a company that has a weekly live TV show and a YouTube show taped in the same building on the same night, they have a fuckton of announcers.

I liked that they gave Taz(z) kudos and a shot in Philly, but never been a fan of his post-ECW commentary.  I much prefer, and really dig, the current Excalibur with guests Dark set-up.  Tho, I do find Excalibur's commentary a lot stronger when structured around Skeevone and Ross.  I especially liked guest Dustin this week.  Missed the MJF episode, but I imagine he was good too.   

Speaking of Dark, great to see the Stronghearts.  T-Hawk is the more obvious potential star, but I really like Lindemann.  He reminds me a lot of Malenko.  He looks crisp and strong in everything he does.  The match with the Bucks was a lot of fun.  

Statlander looked strong on this Dark episode as well.  I hope she finds her way into the top of the division mix.  Tho, I'm hoping Riho and Shida is strong enough, as expected, to warrant a bit of a series.  For all the Baker criticisms, which I completely agree, I really dig her finish and AEW's close-up production on the somewhat grotesque and brutal fingers in the mouth.  

PP-Best Friends was a bit weak.  PP looked as green as ever here.  I like Best Friends, but I'd also like to see Trent move on at some point.  I don't dislike Taylor, he has great charisma, but too much of what he does offensively looks half assed and weak.  He needs to tighten shit up.  I see no issue with the Friends going over.  The old logic of if they're going over this or that team then they should go over there as well is out the window.  I welcome the unpredictability, and the idea that any of the teams could win on any given night. 

Lastly, dug the Justin Roberts interview with Cody.  He comes across as a nice guy.  He's very well spoken and I wonder if he might work well hosting Dark.  Maybe save T-bone for the Dynamite.       

So I hadn’t been paying attention and it just occurred to me that War Games and Survivor Series and I think Raw are in the Rosemount in Chicago days before Dynamite in the Sears Centre. No doubt that’s why that card is so stacked. For those more familiar with Chicago, will this be a good test of AEW’s drawing power against WWE or is the scene there healthy enough to support both?

Khan has talked up the Sears Center on Thanksgiving eve as a tradition they want to start as a way of saying thanks to both Chicago and the Sears Center for playing such a huge part in all of this, so it'll always be one of the bigger Dynamite episodes of the year. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's about an hour drive I think from the city. It's not in Chicago but it's certainly the Chicago market.

It's an hour from downtown proper, but maybe 30 minutes from Rosemont.

It's still considered part of Chicago since it's a suburb in the same way we'd consider Arlington Heights or Aurora or whatever part of Chicago. Same with Rosemont, although I think most people wouldn't mind if Rosemont were just walled off from everything else.

So yeah, it's fair to say the Sears Center is in Chicago. We already say the All State Arena is in Chicago when it's in Rosemont.

As for the question about supporting both, yes, it can support both. I'm already guessing the former Squared Circle crew (now I think they go by Collar and Elbow) has secured all of the front row seats on the camera side and they'll be there for Wargames and Survivor Series. Chicago is a huge fucking place and in the middle of a bunch of places. It's a 2 hour drive for me, same for people coming in from Wisconsin, a little longer for people coming in from St. Louis, etc.

Wouldn't both of those phrases have been included in the sale of WCW? They used them as PPV titles. I don't understand the way any of this works. I get "The Match Beyond" since it was just like an extra tag line, but now with BATB and these two, I'm totally fucking confused. 

4 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Wouldn't both of those phrases have been included in the sale of WCW? They used them as PPV titles. I don't understand the way any of this works. I get "The Match Beyond" since it was just like an extra tag line, but now with BATB and these two, I'm totally fucking confused. 

I believe everything is filed under a separate trademark, and if they let the trademark lapse(Like they did with WarGames at one point) then somebody else can purchase it. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t think Cody will be using too many of these outside of Bash at The Beach. But he should at least use SuperBrawl.

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

They lasped and WWE would have to keep paying to renew them. Copyrights are a different story.

So far Cody has

SuperBrawl
Slamboree
The Match Beyond
Bash at the Beach
Dusty Rhodes
The American Nightmare
The Prince of Wrestling
Bunkhouse Stampede
Battlebowl
The American Dream.

• Like 2

I have an affinity for Havoc being that we are the same age, from the same broad area and I was a bit of a Camden ‘scene’ kid in my formative years (for better or worse) but between the backstage antics and being shown up and outshone in the ring, I don’t see how he fits into a hot AEW show in the long term.

But tyts the great thing about being a new company that can be agile and experiment . Some things will blow up and others will peter out with a whimper. 

I think @LoneWolf&Subs in the Dynamite thread remarked on AEW’s booking restraint and it struck me that the ‘big surprise’ from the first episode Hager has not even had a match as of week 9. He’s been featured and treated like a big deal (within his lane), it’s not like an on/off MoJo or Aleister Black push.

But it’s another thing that can be slotted in to future shows as a reason to tune in. Personally I’m intrigued if they push the MMA stuff in the way he wrestles versus how he was presented in WWE.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

It’s interesting to me if he’s applying for this individually, rather than AEW doing it, especially in light of his corporate position with AEW.

As I understand it, a lot of this is about him wanting to own as much of Dusty's legacy as he can.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I think part of the reason why he hasn't wrestled was the MMA "fight" he had last month. Doesn't explain why he hasn't worked since then but a Bubba Rogers is cool with me. 

I don’t think the fight has anything to do with it. Unless he broke his knee on his opponent’s steel testicles. Usually fighters with ties in wrestling jump right back into their second job pretty quickly. Whatever it is they’ve surprisingly created a new aura for him by just not doing any in-ring activity with him at all.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh man, if they do a legends reunion I'll mark like a little kid.

I wouldn't mind seeing AEW work with Wrestlecade for that.  They'd have to move the date, but it's close to an oldschool hub and what would be a good AEW area, and they've already got something lined up.

If Bash at the Beach is a TV show rather than a PPV, so can any of these other things like Slamboree or Superbrawl. Although if they're doing a legend's reunion type of thing, you'd think that was ideally a weekend deal, not a midweek thing.