DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

I know they're not going away, what I'm saying is that they need to format the show better around the ad breaks to make them less intrusive. For example, we got the picture-in-picture ad break for Jericho's entire backstage segment. I didn't have a clue what was happening beyond looking at Jericho being a dick. The thing is though, Jericho is super entertaining and I want to hear what he's saying and not just see him act like a dick. A better way to do it would be to have Jericho take that same walk during the broadcast, cut to the ad break, and during the ad break show what's happening elsewhere in the backstage area. Show wrestlers stretching or preparing. Show tag teams talking to each other. Show anything like that. That can all be in the picture in picture thing and when they're ready to come back, cut back to the ring and the start of Jericho's entrance.

These ad breaks cut into so many entrances too. I know they're not going away, but just find a better way to work around them.

• Like 1

Maybe I need to re-watch, but tonight I was especially aggravated by the commercials. The sad thing is that this was the first time in weeks where I had the house to myself. It was just me, my dogs, and my cats since my wife was working late and I didn't have my daughter tonight.

Although, I will say this...I am fucking STOKED to go to that show next week. I had hoped that thing would be like a mini PPV or like a Clash of the Champions and that's exactly how it's being booked. Fuck yeah. MJF vs Page? Awesome. PAC vs Omega? Awesome. Jericho vs Scorp for the title?! So awesome.

Unfortunately, I'll be going by myself. Can't find someone to take my other ticket and my wife wound up taking hours to make some extra money. Kinda bummed about that part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I need to re-watch, but tonight I was especially aggravated by the commercials. The sad thing is that this was the first time in weeks where I had the house to myself. It was just me, my dogs, and my cats since my wife was working late and I didn't have my daughter tonight.

Although, I will say this...I am fucking STOKED to go to that show next week. I had hoped that thing would be like a mini PPV or like a Clash of the Champions and that's exactly how it's being booked. Fuck yeah. MJF vs Page? Awesome. PAC vs Omega? Awesome. Jericho vs Scorp for the title?! So awesome.

Unfortunately, I'll be going by myself. Can't find someone to take my other ticket and my wife wound up taking hours to make some extra money. Kinda bummed about that part.

Shame that. Hope you still manage to have a good time. 

• Like 1

Darby/Mox (AEW EDITION) is my second favourite match in the promotion's history after, obviously, the Rhodes' bloody brawl. Way better than their match in a dumpy indie. Darby getting 50/50 reactions against Jon fucking Moxley! That woman in the front row with the Allin makeup too. Yaaaaay! Great storytelling with both guys weaving their very well defined characters into the match's narrative. Darby's worked the fingers both matches v. Moxley and he has some fantastic offense for it. 

I disagree with the idea this was a weaker episode. Hot opener that had a bit of storytelling in it with Nick not adapting to singles action as well as Fenix. I marked out hard for a lot of that battle royal even if it started with too much shit going on and the production team missing some of it. Ass man vs. Sonny Kiss and then OC? Hell yah. Billy Gunn should get squashed hard by Wardlow in December to put him on the shelf "permanently" and establish Wardlow as a killer. How great was that Jungle Boy elimination, btw? Once it settled down, it was a very fun battle royal with lots of guys shining and Mjeff doing Mjeff things. Mjeff gonna win Battlebowl, you guys. Great Jericho promo with Scorpio looking as close to a star to date in the build to the biggest match of his career. Nice bit of interconnecting angles leading to the Luchasaurus squash. Only downside was a second ref count botch in a month during that Private Party/Proud & Powerful tag that was moving along nicely up to that point. Come on now... I feel like the mandate needs to be count the three if you're a ref even if it's not the planned finish. The botch just completely pulls the audience out of its immersion. 

Oh and that Dark Order vignette? Thing of fucking beauty. Well shot and it finally gives the Dark Order a purpose, further explaining why they would try to tempt little Marko Stunt. I love it so much. Just get them putties some real putty gear and we are good to fucking go, baby!

OH OH, Shida got the best match out of Britt yet! After she got busted up she started to look a little emotionally engaged even if her offense was mostly still dog shit. Let's hope that this is them starting to shift away from Baker, #1 All American babyface that is a dentist, don't you know. Turn her heel and have her cheat to win and not do a whole lot on offense other than shitty heel things until she can get better (problem with house shows though is that she can't experiment). Shida brought it tonight. Hell ya.

For me, it was one of my favourite editions so far. Next week has one of the stronger line-ups on paper. I'll be glued to the TV for it.

• Like 4

I was done with the open as soon as they did the mirror dropkick. Fuck, people still doing this in 2019 is irritating. 

The end, instead, was pretty good (even with one guy who looks like he has no chance of winning) and ended perfectly. Even though the sound mix blew all episode with the crowd and music drowning out the announcing, Tony practically screaming "HE JUST KILLED HIM" or something like that was perfect. 

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Shame that. Hope you still manage to have a good time. 

I will. It's just more fun to enjoy the experience with someone else, to have some beers and nachos with my wife, and to have someone to talk to on the drive. Podcasts will suffice though.

• Like 1

A couple of you have mentioned audio issues and I didn't notice any tonight. Maybe I really do need to rewatch this because I feel like I watched something else. @Oyaji I already said weak wasn't the right way to describe it. My main gripe just has to do with all of the commercials. Maybe it doesn't bother me as much with WWE because I really don't give a shit, but with this I do and I want to see it all. I swear I also saw someone say that in Canada and overseas that you're getting the audio during the ad breaks?

Nah, we get shit commercial audio. I can't watch wrestling without sound so I usually tune out even with the PIP.

Maybe the FITE app people? That would make sense.

Edited by Oyaji

I watch on Fite and the amount of times where USTV is in commercial and nothing is happening has been cut way down. It's like less than five minutes of the two hours now.

Also, the sound was fine. Heard the commentary loud and clear all show long.

• Like 1

Darby Allin has less experience than Brit Baker and he is killing it.  I met Darby this summer and he was incredible. I bought an 8x10 from him and it was $10. I had a $20 and he didn't have change so he said "here it's on me"  I gave him the $20 and told him that he more than earned it.  I spoke with him for about 15 minutes and he was extremely humble and was looking forward to AEW TV.  I was shocked that nobody was really in line to talk to him.  If AEW makes a secondary title like an X Dvision type belt or a TV belt  I think Darby would be the guy to give it to. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Oh and that Dark Order vignette? Thing of fucking beauty. Well shot and it finally gives the Dark Order a purpose, further explaining why they would try to tempt little Marko Stunt. I love it so much. Just get them putties some real putty gear and we are good to fucking go, baby!

I loves that vignette too - looked great. Can see Peter Avalon joining Dark Order with how excalibur talked up the order targeting those on losing streaks and BTE kinda hinting at him growing tired of the gimmick.  

Darby Allin is a motherfucking STAR. Moxley killed him dead again and again and again and he kept coming. I was starting to worry that they were going to do another time limit draw as the minutes kept ticking down and we got some 2 counts, but it was put together really well as it pertains to coming up against the top of the hour. That avalanche Paradigm Shift was so goddamn brutal in real time, and in the replays, it's so evident how much of his body is underneath Darby. Looked great and appears to be (relatively) safe, at least against a dude Darby's size.

I really enjoyed the promo with Hager speaking for Jericho, and it really got good when SCU played the big dope into defending next week. I popped for Scorpio calling Jericho a "Paragon Of Virtue". Scorpio should come out of this looking like a guy that is a genuine threat to the strap in a losing effort, either via Hager fuckery or crafty heel work from the champ.

The Luchasaurus - Hager interaction has me pretty jazzed about those two big old beefy dudes throwing bombs. Probably won't happen soon, as Hager seems like he's a little too far up the card to be bothered by an undercard guy in a tag team, but I think they are missing the boat if they don't pay it off at some point.

While I am not super into the idea of Billy Gunn on TV, I thought he did exactly the perfect job here, but the company should have thought more about him not eliminating quite so many folks.  Him looking to have an ass-off with Sonny Kiss or admiring Sonny's ass or whatever the fuck it was was really fun, and he came off as so pissed when MJF fucked up his good time with Sonny and OC. By the way, outside of the super dark spray tan, MJF looks fucking good in tights. I think from looking at his face, I thought he would be a little softer body-wise, but he's really well put-together.

I missed the Dark Order vignette that folks are talking about, so I will have to see if they post it on YT or if not, I'll pull up the show in the TNT app and zip through it and check it out.

I also missed most all of PP / P&P, but that was a conscious decision, mostly because I feel like I have seen everything PP has to offer, and it just doesn't quite do it for me. I liked that they went over, especially if it was in honor of the kid Matt Travis that died the other day, but their shit is all flash and no substance in between.

I enjoyed Fenix - Nick Jackson, it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting from them. I liked Nick's quasi-confusion about looking into the corner for a tag. Nice touch. I didn't feel like the handshake refusal should be anything huge, Fenix applauded his effort, but he and his brother have been pretty dastardly lately, so why the fuck would he be out here shaking hands and kissing babies?

Really good show, and moved everything forward for us to get to next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

I missed the Dark Order vignette that folks are talking about, so I will have to see if they post it on YT or if not, I'll pull up the show in the TNT app and zip through it and check it out.

FWIW somebody put the video up on the Dynamite thread so you can catch it that way if you like.

• Like 1

The battle royal was so random. But after last night I want to see MJF vs. Orange Cassidy. It's probably happened at some indy before, but I've never seen it so I hope it's a match they go with. I really like Adam Page, but I would have rather seen Jungle Boy win to face MJF. I can just imagine the promo's MJF would do about him and you know there would be some nuclear heat if he named dropped Luke Perry in anyway.

The Dark Order video was interesting. Nick Jackson said it might not seem like it now, but in six months there's gonna be something to the Dark Order that will make everyone realize how good they are. I like them. But for a cult, they need a leader. They need someone like a Kevin Sullivan to be revealed as the master.

I was never really sold on Santana and Ortiz in TNA (though that was almost certainly cause of TNA), but I love them here in AEW. I kinda hope the thing with The Bucks leads to a Skywalkers match if Cody is snapping up everything he can that Dusty came up with. I mean you can just see Santana and Ortiz do the Road Warriors promo with them dropping pumpkins and stuff off the top of a building to signify the Buck's heads.

Later I have to watch Darby vs. Mox cause I missed it. But yeah Darby is a huge star. Just listen to the crowd when his theme starts. I can easily see him being AEW Champion down the line.

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

I know they're not going away, what I'm saying is that they need to format the show better around the ad breaks to make them less intrusive. For example, we got the picture-in-picture ad break for Jericho's entire backstage segment. I didn't have a clue what was happening beyond looking at Jericho being a dick. The thing is though, Jericho is super entertaining and I want to hear what he's saying and not just see him act like a dick.

I did hear it. You didn't miss anything besides bad ad-libbing that went far too long. The only good thing about it was the fact that Avalon was using dinosaur books to try to plan his match with Luchasaurus.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Billy Gunn should get squashed hard by Wardlow in December to put him on the shelf "permanently" and establish Wardlow as a killer. How great was that Jungle Boy elimination, btw? Once it settled down, it was a very fun battle royal with lots of guys shining and Mjeff doing Mjeff things. Mjeff gonna win Battlebowl, you guys. Great Jericho promo with Scorpio looking as close to a star to date in the build to the biggest match of his career. Nice bit of interconnecting angles leading to the Luchasaurus squash. Only downside was a second ref count botch in a month during that Private Party/Proud & Powerful tag that was moving along nicely up to that point. Come on now... I feel like the mandate needs to be count the three if you're a ref even if it's not the planned finish. The botch just completely pulls the audience out of its immersion. 

I've never been a fan of the Ass man, but there's something endearing about him playing a role in this company, and I think you're on the money that he's cannon fodder for big Wardlow.

I agree with what you're saying on the count botch, but it's hard to put all the blame on Turner.  He's been pretty steady.  Ortiz' should have been able to think on his feet (or back) and kick the fuck out.  Tho Cassidy (are they calling him Kennedy now or was that a commentary botch) should also have known better.  The Barretta-Pac match seemed mostly on Remsberg (tho Trent was also likely to blame), but this one feels hard to blame Turner.  Regardless, I think you're right - just count it!   

12 hours ago, AxB said:

I watch on Fite and the amount of times where USTV is in commercial and nothing is happening has been cut way down. It's like less than five minutes of the two hours now.

I watched the Fite feed as well, and didn't do a whole lot of FFWD.  The commercial break stuff was mostly pointless and, for me, took a bit away from the tighter tv version.  I thought the Jericho walk thru promo was pretty weak by his standards.  He seemed to be having trouble thinking on his feet.  Not terrible, but again not up to his standards.  They really ought not to have guys working the microphones during those PiP.  

Pretty good show.  Absolutely incredible opener.  Jackson and Fenix were, no surprise, on fire, but so too the crowd in Indy.  These AEW crowds are unreal.  Main was also strong.  Overall the show felt a bit uneven on first view, but I also watched it in the wee hours half asleep, so now for a proper viewing.  Meltzer mentioned on the recap that the Jericho-Hager 'Sorry' bit was lifted from a Fonzie bit on Happy Days.  And that the Scorpio not wanting a title shot and not wanting to wrestle next week was a tip of the hat to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_GYGcGQbEU

Edited by HarryArchieGus

*original post meant for Dynamite thread

Um, I liked Taz on Dark. He’s goofy as all hell but it works. Taz reminded me of 2002 SmackDown Taz. He was back on his A game. I was happy to see him on the Buy In. He’s a good addition to the commentary team.  

Edited by Web Conn

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

*original post meant for Dynamite thread

Um, I liked Taz on Dark. He’s goofy as all hell but it works. Taz reminded me of 2002 SmackDown Taz. He was back on his A game. I was happy to see him on the Buy In. He’s a good addition to the commentary team.  

I like Taz, but, for a company that has a weekly live TV show and a YouTube show taped in the same building on the same night, they have a fuckton of announcers.