DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I have a lot less issue it being a singles match where they're given a chance to get over.  I don't think they're giving most of these people a fair shot with these tags and four ways.

I think Kenny’s too stuck in the mind set women’s wrestling is best in tags. That’s the case in Japan where the best shows of Stardom are top to bottom tags, but women’s wrestling in America is strictly a singles match thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Big Swole is neither big nor swole. I hear a name like that and I think of a woman that looks like Jazzy Gabert. I understand that "Skinny Shred" is not as cool sounding, but it sure fits her body type more accurately.

I liked her previous moniker as Aerial Monroe. Then she had Big Swole as a nickname as a mighty mite.

• Like 1

Announced for next week's Dynamite in Chicago Sears Centre: Omega vs Pac (rematch from All Out).

Tickets still available. Possibly tickets still being available is why they announced the match this early.

Just now, AxB said:

Announced for next week's Dynamite in Chicago Sears Centre: Omega vs Pac (rematch from All Out).

Tickets still available. Possibly tickets still being available is why they announced the match this early.

There aren't many tickets available. I had a couple more people want to go with us next week and I can't find two seats together. I could find one individual seat, but that's about it. 

I imagine it has to do with the Bash at the Beach trademark being refused by the Attorney Examiner because it's too similar to WWE's The Bash and might cause confusion. Which is kind of funny, since The Bash was a shortening of the Great American Bash, not Bash at the Beach.

In other news that came out today - Shanna apparently had plans to retire in October, but then she got a call to work with Hikaru Shida on Dynamite and that changed her entire career trajectory, since she was signed (to a 3 year deal, by all accounts) almost immediately after that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I imagine it has to do with the Bash at the Beach trademark being refused by the Attorney Examiner because it's too similar to WWE's The Bash and might cause confusion. Which is kind of funny, since The Bash was a shortening of the Great American Bash, not Bash at the Beach.

Yeah, but didn't the name "Bash at the Beach" originate when they decided to merge the Great American Bash and Beach Blast together one year?

No idea why the Dynamite thread is straight up locked and the NXT one wasn't, but Dynamite was pretty good even if it was one of the weaker episodes. Weaker in that it was just setting up shit for next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't even think it was that weak of an episode. I thought Moxley/Allin was a fun main event. Fenix/Nick Jackson was the perfect opener. I liked the emphasis on Nick not wrestling a singles match in five years, while Fenix just wrestled one in the last week or so. I also liked Nick looking to the corner for a tag when he was in trouble. I also enjoyed Private Party/Proud & Powerful. I think this was the best Britt Baker has looked so far, but I'm still glad she took the loss. The battle royal was pretty predictable, but I liked the advancement of Daniels/Pentagon and Janela/Sabian. Hopefully, Havoc coming back in with the staple gun after being eliminated will lead somewhere. I'd love to see a darker, more bloodthristy Jimmy Havoc, who also happens to pick up wins. I loved the Dark Order vignette. That's what we should have gotten from the beginning. The Jericho/Hager/SCU segment and the brawl afterwards was great. I liked Dustin's return and staredown between Hager and Luchasaurus.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I thought this when I saw it in the first battle royal.  Billy Gunn needs to stay the fuck away from anything AEW.  Fans losing their shit over a guy who was a WWE C-teamer fifteen years ago and then destroying everyone in the ring is not a good look.  That being said, I wish I could look even 1/3 as good when I hit 50.   

Jesus Christ, he's 56????

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I thought this when I saw it in the first battle royal.  Billy Gunn needs to stay the fuck away from anything AEW.  Fans losing their shit over a guy who was a WWE C-teamer fifteen years ago and then destroying everyone in the ring is not a good look.  That being said, I wish I could look even 1/3 as good when I hit 50.   

Jesus Christ, he's 56????

I definitely feel the same way about keeping Billy Gunn away from the roster. It wasn't bad enough that he towered over them, but then he throws everyone off like he was Andre. Hell, anybody could have had Billy's spot. Why not put Trent? or Sammy Guevara in there?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The Dynamite Thread is still closed, boooo.

I thought Fenix vs Merch Freak was a fun opener. They did some really cool stuff. That crowd was HOT too.

Did anyone else have trouble hearing the commentary? The audio mix has been weird the last couple weeks and it's hard to actually hear the announcers over the music and the crowd. That isn't just me is it?

Jericho promo was great. The execution of the SCU stuff was a little rough. But I liked the idea in theory of them doing something different and having the face lull the heel into a title match by pretending to not want one. Playing off the heel's ego and contrarian nature. The beat down and saves were a little awkward but the crowd reacted big to them.

God damn Billy Gunn is 56 and jacckkkkeddd. I didn't mind him being in here. You need surprises from the past to keep that anything can happen feel. But yeah he probably shouldn't have gotten so many eliminations. The outcome here was pretty obvious.

Them missing the camera shot in PnP vs Private Party saved their ass. Santana def forget to interrupt the count. They totally lost the live crowd with that fuck up. Luckily the tv audience didn't see that the ref stopped for a ghost, and they covered for it okay.

Mox vs Darby was my kinda shit man. Two dudes OVER AS FUCK. Going out there and knowing who they are and being allowed to do what makes them so over. It felt alive. It felt organic. That is what I want out of pro wrestling. Hook it to my veins. That finish was gnarly as fuck tho. Hope Mox's torso was big enough to cousin Darby's neck.

• Like 2

Volume levels for the crowd and commentary is an on-going issue. They don't want to take away from how lively these crowds are by boosting up the audio for the announcers so much that you can't hear the crowd, apparently (I think Khan said that?). Last week was fine, but this week it was a real problem. There's still a bunch of growing pains, but luckily it's stuff that isn't THAT important.

Random thought here, but I can't wait until Wardlow turns on MJF and he becomes a mega babyface. That shit is going to rock.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Random thought here, but I can't wait until Wardlow turns on MJF and he becomes a mega babyface. That shit is going to rock.

I promise you they have 2002 Lesnar on their hands, raw talent and potential wise. And if they go down the logical path of Batista Evolution booking for him slowly getting fed up with MJF's shit, they are going to have a Goldberg level breakout star. WWE is going to fucking kick themselves for not signing him when they had the chance.

The Shadow knows.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips

Weak may have been the wrong description, but it definitely wasn't their best episode. I really don't like Britt. She's clumsy, not strong, lacks any sort of passion, and actively dragged down her match with Hikaru. The battle royal was kinda whatever. As battle royals go it was nothing to write home about and it was obvious what the finish would be. The botch in Private Party vs  PnP was one of the worst I've seen and it really took me out of what was a fun match.

Except for two of the refs, the reffing is fucking abysmal at times. They have to get stronger in that area.

My biggest complaint though and the single thing that took me out of the show to an extent are all. the. fucking. commercial. breaks. I hate the commercials during Raw and SD when I watch those semi live, but during AEW, it's really obnoxious. This may have been the commercials at their worst. They have to program this show in a better way so we can get more complete matches without an ad break and without the picture-in-picture window, which sucks because it's so small and there's no sound. Cutting back on the commercial breaks isn't an option so they have to find a way to better work around them. Private Party vs PnP had what felt like 3 ad breaks from entrance to end. Maybe it was two, I don't know, but I don't want to watch the fucking match on the tiny window with no sound. And so I find myself fast forwarding through those ad breaks if I'm far enough behind, which takes something out of the match when you rejoin.

Has anyone done a comparison with how many commercial breaks there are during AEW and how much time they take up with NXT or Raw or SD? It's really egregious.