DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, Ace said:

I started noticing 'em on Dynamite a couple weeks ago.

He’s going to slowly dress like Dante Hicks again, I betcha.

Main event was pretty awesome. Wish it went longer. On the other hand the rest of the matches felt like they went too long. Kris Statlander did look impressive when she was working Riho, with Britt less so. Swole has a lot of her character stuff down, but it feels like I don’t have a good sense of what her offense actually is. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Loved Statlander and am hoping she's signed full time. Also need to show tons of love for Dustin being wonderfully wacky on commentary. He gave tons of great points but it took me back to when Dusty would commentate. Him doing Dark on the regular would be sublime. 

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s going to slowly dress like Dante Hicks again, I betcha.

Main event was pretty awesome. Wish it went longer. On the other hand the rest of the matches felt like they went too long. Kris Statlander did look impressive when she was working Riho, with Britt less so. Swole has a lot of her character stuff down, but it feels like I don’t have a good sense of what her offense actually is. 

Main event couldn't go longer, since it was the first one filmed that night (before Dynamite).

We need more T-Hawk & El Lindaman, goddamn.

• Like 2

Fuck, Dustin is hilarious on commentary, noticeably cracking Excalibur up multiple times... But he was it just me or did he sound like he was a couple drinks in? I certainly hope not and rather he was just having a good time fucking around on commentary.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhh... Key Biscayne isn’t that far.

You can't draw 100,000 at Bash Near A Beach, brother.

18 hours ago, twiztor said:

off topic, how has no promoter done a Southpaw revival card? i swear i would fly cross country to see that done relatively well.

Might want to watch Impact next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Fuck, Dustin is hilarious on commentary, noticeably cracking Excalibur up multiple times... But he was it just me or did he sound like he was a couple drinks in? I certainly hope not and rather he was just having a good time fucking around on commentary.

It sounded like Dustin could have had a few cocktails or perhaps it was just the spirit of Dusty in him. I'd be all for commentator Dustin when he hangs up the boots for good.

• Like 3

Yeah, I could listen to a trio of Excalibur, Dustin, and Tony for a long time.

Private Party vs. Best Friends went a little long but was good. 

edit: man, as they get better and better women, the fans are going to turn on Baker if they still push her as their #1 woman even without a title. It would be wise to get ahead of that and have her turn on Riho in the near future I think and I'm not one for a wack load of turns.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He's let his goofy side show quite a bit in recent years so it was on brand for him. Especially considering he works for and with his family I don't see how he would want to risk doing something that almost destroyed him in the past. 

• Like 1

Yeah, sounded like slurred speech early on but he settled in after that first match. I think he was just having fun.

I'd seen Statlander's intergender matches with Dickinson and Silver and wasn't blown away. However, she looked very impressive here. All aboard the Statlander Express. Was it ever confirmed that she had signed with AEW? I remember reading it but never seeing anything official.

T-Hawk is a stud. He's somebody you could probably build into a star with his charisma, look, and working ability. That match in which he won the Z1 title from last year was one of the better non NJPW matches from the country I had seen. Dude can go.

One last comment about Dark: T-Hawk ought to be a singles guy and soon. Once the Road To Cambodia dries up, hopefully the Strong Hearts guys can stick around and be regulars. I'd love to see a team of CIMA/Lindaman with T-Hawk moving up the card slowly but steadily solo dolo.

• Like 1

Big Swole is neither big nor swole. I hear a name like that and I think of a woman that looks like Jazzy Gabert. I understand that "Skinny Shred" is not as cool sounding, but it sure fits her body type more accurately.

Britt Baker is not real good. Kris Statlander didn't look to be too great either, and she was leaps and bounds better than Baker. As this women's division keeps filling up, I hope they are looking to move Baker into a less prominent position.

• Like 2

The women's division is such a shit show of bad booking and poor agent work.

Introducing new characters to job in tag matches is fucking terrible. Way to make it clear that Kris Statlander is not important to anyone's plans.  They're just throwing these women out in multi woman matches and it does nothing for any of them.  Riho and Baker have no reason to be teaming at all much less against two people who have no steam behind them.  They should have transitioned Emi into Riho's tag partner and gatekeeper rather than putting Baker in there when the two of them have no chemistry whatsoever.

Agent wise, how goddamn hard is it to work a heat segment on your natural underdog face champion?  Nope!  Instead we have the faces work heat on Swole only to cut off Statlander as soon as she gets the tag.  How unbelievably brainless.  As usual, this thing is too long and has no purpose to it.  Just a garbage showing.

• Like 2

I agree, but I have no problem with random debuts. Sometimes you can get more out of somebody just having an impressive performance out of nowhere as opposed to someone coming in with a hype video, like with Shanna, but yeah that was a poorly planned out match. Stat should’ve been beating the shit out of Riho, and Big Swole tags in periodically to shit talk the faces since she’s the big personality in the match.

• Like 1

I have a lot less issue it being a singles match where they're given a chance to get over.  I don't think they're giving most of these people a fair shot with these tags and four ways.

• Like 1