DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, I see how historically you could make an argument considering the numbers for the higher $50 price tag, but I also think @Phil4126 you're not alone on that price being too steep.  I did pay per view this Full Gear and I'm with @Nice Guy Eddie I feel no remorse for the $50 I spent.  Further, it feels good to support this company for all the things they did so fucking right to sell this show.

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Regarding the Full Gear buyrate, Dave from the latest Observer:

Disappointing that TV didn't really help the PPV buys with two big matches on top and the big Cody promo on the go-home show. I guess that's where they're at with PPVs for the short-term future.

At this stage it's still kind of a crap shoot concerning ppl buying or tuning in outside of the core fanbase.  I'd say keeping pace is good and I think it's no surprise or bullshit that they're happy with this.  It's gonna take a long time to establish these stars with the 'casuals' or whatever you call those 2 million plus viewers that still watch Raw and Smackdown.

Luckily they started this company with a billion dollar owner, and TK and this team seem to be well aware that it's gonna take some serious time and effort.  The strategy of just working extremely hard to present blowaway after blowaway show is going to pay great dividends.    

On 11/15/2019 at 1:50 AM, Oyaji said:

Yeah, it's totally okay they want to stick with things and not give up when they're not going well only because they listen and change other things so it's not a Vince vs. the fans type of thing, at least not yet. They seem receptive generally speaking and don't want to just ditch something the second it isn't hot. 

Yeah, I see no issue with sticking it out with Spears.  He's been fine.  I agree with @Phil4126, tho I've only really read about Dolph Ziggler, but seems like an accurate comparison.  Ppl often forget the necessities for building bigger stars.  It starts with 'good hands'.  Also, they're simply giving Spears a chance to get over.  That's great!  Having bored myself silly watching WWF thru the McMahon-Helmsley era I've got more than enough patience for a few segments featuring smaller mid-card projects.  Especially when said hand has a decent enough skill set that could potentially surprise a few folks.  I do wish he'd get a better haircut.  But I am happy he dropped the silly contacts.  Ultimately, concerning moving up the card, Spears would benefit greatly from a tag partner.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Yeah, I have no problem with Spears as a mid-card gatekeeper*. It’s Shawn Spears, legitimate threat to Cody that I’m not buying. If he can get people like Janella to the next level, that’s good enough for me. And if he manages to get himself over at the same time, that’s a bonus. Dolph Ziggler is a good comparison, although Spears isn’t quite the pinball Dolph is. 

* I originally typed Hatekeeper, which is a nickname he should use.

• Like 1

There was a built in backstory with Spears helping guide the early OVW Cody.  Seemed perfectly legit.  It gave Cody a feud before TV and building something.  Also, I may be in the minority in my thinking on this, but that match was fun.

Again, I've never really watched Dolph Ziggler, but from what I've read he's in this position so comparison seems fair.  But it also seems to me that WWE, surprise surprise, dropped the ball on somebody that was getting over(?) because he wasn't in their 'plans'.  Didn't have 'it'.    

Jericho is so good at these press appearances...

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

The only issue with Spears feuding with Janela is, Janela just went 40 minutes with Kenny Omega in a lights out match. Arguably he's already higher on the totem pole than Spears is. If beating Spears moves you from C+ to a solid B, why use him on someone who's a solid B already?

I mean, clearly it's a feud. Janela probably beats him the next two times, to establish that Spears needs Tully to help him win, that Janela is better in a no DQ chaos environment AND that Janela can beat him clean at wrestling if fair play takes place. If that happens, good. If it doesn't and Spears wins the feud, we can all go conspiracy theorist about how all the EVPs signed their friends, but Cutler and Nakazawa are total jobbers, whilst Cody's shoot best mate gets to win shit (We have to pretend Riho doesn't exist to enjoy this scenario).

7 minutes ago, alstein said:

Sabian seems to be set up with the Hybrid 2, haven't they had a couple of 6-mans together?   No idea how Spears and Sabian will link up, though I would like to see Sabian move up the depth chart a bit, he's impressed me so far.

They re-introduced Penelope Ford as Sabian’s valet(She, and Sabian became a real life couple) in a backstage interview before Janela walked to the back after his loss to Spears. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The only issue with Spears feuding with Janela is, Janela just went 40 minutes with Kenny Omega in a lights out match. Arguably he's already higher on the totem pole than Spears is. If beating Spears moves you from C+ to a solid B, why use him on someone who's a solid B already?

I mean, clearly it's a feud. Janela probably beats him the next two times, to establish that Spears needs Tully to help him win, that Janela is better in a no DQ chaos environment AND that Janela can beat him clean at wrestling if fair play takes place. If that happens, good. If it doesn't and Spears wins the feud, we can all go conspiracy theorist about how all the EVPs signed their friends, but Cutler and Nakazawa are total jobbers, whilst Cody's shoot best mate gets to win shit (We have to pretend Riho doesn't exist to enjoy this scenario).

I like Joey Janela, but he's a ways away (years) from moving anywhere out of the mid-card.  It's a great spot for Janela, and frankly Joey doesn't need to beat anybody to stay over.  He's the guy that'll do crazy shit and a win or a loss, it does not matter.  Cutler is perfect as a job guy.  Nakazawa looked great getting killed this week, so job guy - perfect!  I get not being into Shawn Spears.  He was a job guy in WWE and that isn't easy to forget.  He's trying to find his legs in this new company.  He's not a high flyer and he doesn't have the 'it' that Jon Moxley has.  I get the disinterest, but he's clearly got a decent skill set and I think he has proven he deserves to be presented as a potential threat.  From here sink or swim, but try and give the guy a chance.  I don't see anything that screams this guy is horrible and should be banished to the bottom of the card doing the Rene Goulet or Tony Garea.  EVP buddy conspiracy theories are completely ridiculous when you consider that more than half the roster was signed because they're buds.  And that's fine.  A cohesive locker room is one of the reasons these shows and this company is working so well.  

@LoneWolf&Subs is right on the money.  Moving forward I see Spears winning again, and probably with some sort of interference or tomfoolery from Ford and/or Sabian which transitions to a Janela-Sabian feud.  And then the good hand Shawn Spears moves up a notch and probably gets killed by somebody moving further up the card.  Great!

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Spears needs to decide what look he's got though. He's been beard and mohawk, beard and bald, and clean shaven and mohawk in the space of three months. And gone back and forth on the weird contact lenses to boot. Just pick one, man.

• Like 3

It does seem strange that they're talking about beating the Bucks to be the "best" and the announcers call the Bucks "the best tag team in the world, perhaps all time," and they aren't champions. Meltz was spot on with that. Still, it's good to make the other tag teams look like big deals and give these two teams something to do.

For what it's worth, I was thinking the other day that the Observer Awards are probably  going to be a Nixon/McGovern landslide for AEW this year. 

(Whether that is deserved or not is  of course in the eye of the beholder.) 

Edited by odessasteps

AEW really has some great well-defined jobbers in Nakazawa, Cutler, Avalon, Marshall and Havoc.  Those guys being part of the office helps as well- they know they can job and get a nice paycheck doing what they love for a few minutes a week.

Spears is well Spears, I don't think the experiment is working out, it's going to be interesting to see how much rope they give him.

Jimmy Havoc was one win away from a title shot and beat both Darby and Janela in the Cracker Barrel Challenge. He's clearly not positioned as a jobber at this time. He's an undercarder, yeah. But I think they're thinking he's still going to be super over when they eventually go to London.

nb: Progress' Wembley debut is free on the YouTube. Or here:

Go to 1:20:00 to see his match. And listen to how much babyface heat he's got. Alternatively, watch the whole thing. Card:

Spoiler
  • Mark Haskins w/ Vicky Haskins vs Matt Riddle
  • PROGRESS Women's Title Match: Jinny (c) w/ House of Couture vs Toni Storm vs Millie McKenzie
  • PROGRESS Atlas Title Match: Doug Williams (c) vs Trent Seven
  • No DQ Match: Jimmy Havoc vs Paul Robinson
  • PROGRESS Tag Team Titles Thunderbastard Match: Bandido & Flamita (c) vs Mills & Mayhew vs Sexy Starr vs GYV vs Aussie Open vs Anti Fun Police vs The 198
  • Ilja Dragunov vs Pete Dunne
  • Tables, Ladders and Chairs Match: Mark Andrews vs Eddie Dennis
  • PROGRESS World Title Match: WALTER (c) vs Tyler Bate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd pair Havoc up with Marty when/if he comes in. Then, I'd add Brody King to the group if he comes in.

Please stop trying to make Brody King in AEW a thing. He’s just plain bad.

• Thanks 1

@HarryArchieGus your point about how it feels good to support this company for the things they do right cannot  be liked enough. AEW has a ton of goodwill they have built up in their short existence for the simple reason that this company does not make you feel like they actively hate you or think you are stupid like WWE main roster shows do. Its amazing how when you book babyfaces not to be utter geeks that we the fans can get invested in them. I could not give two shits about Cody in the WWE but I actively look forward to what he's doing here. Jurassic Express would have lasted maybe 5 minutes before Luchasaurus turned on Jungle Boy, but the people got behind them and they are stars in the making. Goodwill goes a long way and AEW has it so far

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

The more I see of Jimmy Havoc the more he looks like Crispin Glover to me. If only he could talk like Layne from River’s Edge I might be into it. 

11 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

The more I see of Jimmy Havoc the more he looks like Crispin Glover to me. If only he could talk like Layne from River’s Edge I might be into it. 

So you’re saying that in a week Havoc will go from a guy we’d rather be on AEW Pitch Black to a guy who should be main eventing 60,000 seat stadiums, and we’ll all have Toyota SR5’s with yellow KC flood lights in our garages out of nowhere?

• Haha 2

When it turns out that Awesome Kong's hair gimmick was taken from Crispin Glover's character in Charlie's Angels, we can all blame Jimmy Havoc for that too? 

4 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I knew there was something I liked about James Havoc.  AEW please do the right thing and make Havoc into the Crispin Glover of Pro Wrestling. 

Jimmy's getting a lot of shit here these days.  I suspect because of his British training, and little glimpses seen in his matches, that he's got more talent than the plunder filled 'hardcore' brawls indicate.  He just badly needs a good style guide to make him look half way presentable on national television.  Not saying here that he shouldn't be a self destructive goth. 

I like the repartee between Cabana and Friedman here.  And then MJF goes and puts him on the spot(?).  Haters aside, does anybody know why the great Colt 'Boom Boom' Cabana is not in AEW?   Not to say he isn't a very significant member of the NWA Power family.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Haha 1

I don’t know why he isn’t in AEW, but I do remember why fans didn’t want him there. Colt has the stench of indie yesteryears. He’s associated with Punk, and the whole shoot interview. He’s been tied to ROH recently in its worst years. He was always seen as the lesser of the big workers in ROH. Regardless of all that stuff, he’s been tearing it up in the later half of this year. Cutting great promos, having really good matches in NWA, and in New Japan. I wouldn’t be surprised if MJF can get him to come. He’d be great as MJF’s Dustin Rhodes. But probably at this point it’s up to Colt, and if the NWA can succeed in its new form.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2