DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Is Spears getting better? His talking juxtaposed with Tully's just exposes how weak his shit sounds. Tully had some legitimate sounding anger (Decker looked shook!) and emotion in his voice. Spears sounded like he was in a casting room trying to get a role on a cable TV show from the '90s. The quicker they move on from Spears the better. Tully is a fucking legend, one of wrestling's great talkers, and his connection to Tessa would hopefully have some sway on signing her when the day comes. He should be used so much more prominently than this shit.

Better. I wasn’t a fan of his sit down interview or most of his promos. If he sticks to sounding like he’s putting question marks at the end of his sentences and sticking to maybe 2 sentences and differing to Tully, then that Cat-eyed Mohawk Warrior is going places.

Real note, I’m not as down on Spears. Probably among the weaker workers on the roster that is regularly used. I find his character interesting. Comes in with a big splash, betrays his best friend, and completely falls flat. He often comes across weak. Even when angry he’s whiny. In every way he needs his manager. The only offense he had against Moxley was because of a Tully distraction. His coolest win moment was because the Tully piledriver assist. It’s endearing in a complete douche way. Maybe I’m getting lost with reality and actually find the parallels with reality amusing. Without Tully, I’d probably have no interest in Spears at all. Even after the chairshot, Tully was the best part of his feud with Cody until the massive crowd reaction Cody got in the match. 

I’m just rambling. I probably agree with you in the long run. Something about this angle intrigues me enough to see where they go. I think Tully yelling at Janela is going to be interesting. Hopefully he’ll help Spears cheat in a fun way and end up getting hit with a White Claw can. 

On a fun note @Oyaji, if they were to move on fast from Spears (which I don’t actually see them doing without WWE fan style irony chants) then who would you pair Tully with? Always enjoy reading your opinions. 

I personally wouldn’t have him with MJF or the Inner Circle. I don’t think he’d fit with PAC, but it could be interesting. Maybe one of the female workers like Nyla Rose? Maybe the voice for Adam Page if he turns? 

• Like 2

Yeah, it's totally okay they want to stick with things and not give up when they're not going well only because they listen and change other things so it's not a Vince vs. the fans type of thing, at least not yet. They seem receptive generally speaking and don't want to just ditch something the second it isn't hot. 

I've said it before, but I'd have him with Pac. Pac is a very good talker but those two would bring the intensity and Tully could advocate for Pac. The latter has made it known that he feels underused despite his record. I can see that stylistically they may not match up because Pac is very much a modern wrestler, whereas Spears wants to be a traditional wrestler's wrestler. But personality wise they absolutely do match up well and to me that's more important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Is Spears getting better? His talking juxtaposed with Tully's just exposes how weak his shit sounds. Tully had some legitimate sounding anger (Decker looked shook!) and emotion in his voice. Spears sounded like he was in a casting room trying to get a role on a cable TV show from the '90s. The quicker they move on from Spears the better. Tully is a fucking legend, one of wrestling's great talkers, and his connection to Tessa would hopefully have some sway on signing her when the day comes. He should be used so much more prominently than this shit.

Who do you stick him with then?   None of the other heels need him.   If they bring more guys in later, Spears would slot in just fine as a lieutenant or gatekeeper to the real threat.

The problem with Tully is kinda  good one to have, and that is most of the heels in AEW are good talkers, or are in groups where someone can already talk for them.

If Hager would split off from Inner Circle, Tully would be great for him, but Hager's the one guy I despise in AEW.

Edited by alstein

2 hours ago, alstein said:

double post for some reason.

When you quote a post from a page other than the last one in the topic, it doesn't take you straight to the post. You stick on the page you posted from... so you think it didn't work and click 'Submit Reply' again.

I think Tully could fit in well with the MJF and Wardlow team.  MJF obviously doesn't need him to cut promos but Tully would be a good complementary piece and I think they would fit well together as a 'corporation based' organization.  

Driving-DiversityintheBoardroom-3.jpeg

EDIT: So in our fictional example, Tully would be over MJF's shoulder flanked by the other members of the stable.

Edited by Goodear

Regarding Spears, I feel like the WWE system ruined him. With someone like PAC, they're so good that it didn't matter what WWE tried to do to them to make them adapt to the WWE style. With Spears, it's all he is. So nothing he does stands out, feels electric, or looks exciting. That's why I feel like I'm watching enhancement talent whenever I see him and question his placement on things like this PPV.

lol

Regarding the Full Gear buyrate, Dave from the latest Observer:

As far as PPV goes, the numbers look to be about the same as All Out, which ended up at about 100,000, or slightly below. On digital, the numbers were roughly the same as the first two shows. Still, you’d hope digital would show noticeable growth because of the television hype, particularly because the Cody go-home promo was one of the best of its kind in years. We don’t have the cable numbers yet, past that they won’t hit Double or Nothing levels and will either hit with late buys or fall slightly short of All Out.

Tony Khan said he was happy with the numbers but joked that they specifically picked that night because they wanted to avoid a big UFC show or a big boxing match, knowing football this time of the year would make it tough. They thought they had the right date with UFC in the afternoon. Then they ended up blindsided with something that hit the casual audience bigger than a huge UFC or a Canelo Alvarez fight, since DAZN reported the most viewers for any event in its history for the Logan Paul vs. KSI rematch which went head-to-head. Even worse, in the U.K., it ended up as the biggest PPV event of the year, even beating Anthony Joshua fights. That kind of competition isn’t going to make a 30,000 buy difference on a show like this but could easily make a 10,000 buy difference. There was also a monster LSU-Alabama game, which was over before the PPV started, but it also drew 16,583,000 viewers and if people watched it, they were probably looking at doing something other than watching another four-hour event immediately after. Even if it ends up the same as the last show, and thus it probably would have beaten the last show without the level of competition, it still shows that the television building it up didn’t make the kind of difference it did for other companies that first got television.

Disappointing that TV didn't really help the PPV buys with two big matches on top and the big Cody promo on the go-home show. I guess that's where they're at with PPVs for the short-term future.

I still think $50 is tough to swallow, but if you lower it to $30 or $40 then you have to guarantee you're going to get more buys than you had before to make as much money as your were making. So with that in mind is probably safer to just keep it at $50.

43 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Good promo from Tully. Wish he got a chance to do that on TV, if only for thirty seconds like he did here. 

It was something, but how many times can he do that without killing himself acting his ass off?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I still think $50 is tough to swallow, but if you lower it to $30 or $40 then you have to guarantee you're going to get more buys than you had before to make as much money as your were making. So with that in mind is probably safer to just keep it at $50.

And the pre order price for the NWA ppv is only $20. 

Do you guys think they'd get double the buys at $25? I don't, so it makes sense for them to keep it at $50 even if it is steep and may scare some off. I do wonder if the plan down the road is to do their own network of sort and have monthly shows so events like Fight For the Fallen and Fyter Fest are treated as big deals just like Full Gear/All Out/Double or Nothing. I don't hate the big 4 PPV idea though even if it is more expensive as is than a monthly charge of $10-15. 

They need to use Bash at the Beach though. PPV or B/R Live... I do not care. Just give it to me and give me that damn beach set with a dope superplex off the lifeguard chair. 

• Like 1

Dave has discussed repeatedly through the years that raising prices for boxing, wrestling, and mma has never hurt buyrates. There’s always hesitation to do it and then they do it and make more money. You get something that captures the zeitgeist like pacquiao vs mayweather and charge $100 and break all records. It’s all about having an event people feel like they have to watch, the price doesn’t matter. 

• Like 1

It’s remarkable that they get 100,000ish people to drop $50 on a PPV in 2019 to begin with, since we’ve all been spoiled by either the Network or indie streaming services like FITE or IndependentWrestling.TV

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

It’s remarkable that they get 100,000ish people to drop $50 on a PPV in 2019 to begin with, since we’ve all been spoiled by either the Network or indie streaming services like FITE or IndependentWrestling.TV

I can only speak for myself, but I felt absolutely no buyer's remorse about paying $50 for Full Gear. Now, I'd feel differently if they had 12 ppv's a year.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can only speak for myself, but I felt absolutely no buyer's remorse about paying $50 for Full Gear. Now, I'd feel differently if they had 12 ppv's a year.

Very true with only 4 PPVs $50 is fine but if they ever go to 6 a year then they need to drop it to $35 or $40. 

• Like 2

-Shawn Spears is AEW's Dolph Ziggler. He's never going to be a real threat or do anything at the top of the card, but he's the perfect guy to have someone you want to move up a notch beat. He's a cromulant wrestler and fits in the mid card. He can make an up and coming babyface look good, eat a finisher or two and go about his business.

-With the pay per view pricing, I can see the point that if you put on something people are excited enough to see, $50 isn't a big deal. But I can honestly say I REALLY wanted to watch Full Gear but that's too steep for me(damn kids of mine needing groceries and stuff for school and such). Granted, we are spoiled in the streaming network age but it feels like they could get a few more buys if they lowered the price maybe $10 or $15?

• Like 2