DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Not to belabor the point, but it really is interesting to see the shows in the South/Southeast doing so poorly ticket-sales wise and the Midwest shows doing relatively well. Champaign, IL has like two tickets left, Sears Center is doing fine for the size of the building, and Indianapolis will be a near sellout if not a sellout outright. Then you look at Corpus Christi, Jacksonville, and Nashville (less so but still not great). Full Gear isn't a sellout in Baltimore (yes, technically Mid-Atlantic) and they did seem to move quite a few more tickets after TV started. However, it does seem like the Midwest is their strongest fanbase in terms of showing up to the actual arena and the Northeast did obviously great with its few shows. I do wonder how invested the West coast will be. Somewhere in-between I would think. Hopefully they start hitting up the major Canadian cities next year as part of their expansion if they're still thinking about basing show locations off of viewership. I have faith they could do a mid-sized building in Toronto but am not so sure about us fickle Vancouverites or Montreal (though I think they'd be fine in Montreal). Do they include Winnipeg in the first wave of Canadian shows? All we hear about is nobody there knows who Kenny Omega is.

Any Winnipeg show should be built around Jericho. He popped a decent house show number the last time he worked a WWE house show in 2016 against Ambrose. Not sure if they would be able to run Bell MTS Place, depending on what kind of arrangement they have with WWE. If you can't run there, finding a large enough venue is next to impossible. 

I think eventually people here would get behind Omega as a hometown boy, but since he has never been on television here until AEW started, he's unknown to any casual fans. 

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

As alludes to in one of the other threads, puro has always been well connected with the yakuza and it would not be outlandish to suggest that A could ask B for a favor, so B goes to C to get it done.

I mean, tangentially, if there was a real threat to Vince in 2019, would you doubt he or Linda would try and get [the guy at 1600] to lean on someone in some office to make things difficult for that other promotion. 

With WWE, I can sort of see it, but that's because we know there's an existing, longstanding relationship between WWE and Trump. Linda was in Trump's cabinet. Trump is a WWE Hall of Famer. There's a relationship there.

I'm not aware of any relationship between NJPW, Bushiroad, the Yakuza, and Gedo here, or with Japan's immigration and customs. But if they actually did this to Omega, that's pretty serious and highly illegal. So I'd simply like more information here and wonder why Observer would just so casually imply this.

Not sure how Starrcast panels are coming across on Fite. But I just saw Moxley's panel which was awesome. It's weird having it here since there was so much background noise during it. 

I did run into Avalon and Bates who were just two nerds checking out merch. And Leva was still checking it out after Peter left bless her nerdy heart. Sammy is cool as hell too. Also met Sonny who is FANTASTIC and Don West who I gladly brought merch from. And I finally got me a Pentagon mask which I'm stoked about.

My wallet's taking a hit but fuck it I'm having a blast.

• Like 5

While we're talking about Starrcast and stuff, here's a Cody quote from the media call today that validates what I was saying like a week ago (IE this isn't the 90s and nothing is the same).

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

While we're talking about Starrcast and stuff, here's a Cody quote from the media call today that validates what I was saying like a week ago (IE this isn't the 90s and nothing is the same).

It's crazy to think of the people who used to be DVDVR regulars who are now doing really cool shit. Bill Barnwell, Tom Lawlor, Mookieghana, etc.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 6:21 AM, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Her accent is fascinating

I read somewhere that she learned English from watching nothing but Harry Potter movies. Thankfully not just Hagrid, although a Westcountry/Japanese combo would be something. Not sure what, but it would be something.

I think I would pay to be an AEW employee at this point just to have the unique pleasure of travelling with always-in-gimmick MJF and OC. I can’t remember the last time a 3 second clip tickled me that much ?

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

With WWE, I can sort of see it, but that's because we know there's an existing, longstanding relationship between WWE and Trump. Linda was in Trump's cabinet. Trump is a WWE Hall of Famer. There's a relationship there.

I'm not aware of any relationship between NJPW, Bushiroad, the Yakuza, and Gedo here, or with Japan's immigration and customs. But if they actually did this to Omega, that's pretty serious and highly illegal. So I'd simply like more information here and wonder why Observer would just so casually imply this.

Next week's Dark goes live in ten minutes. Not on tuesday.

Excalibur, Goldenboy & Arn Anderson on commentary.

Edited by AxB

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

It's crazy to think of the people who used to be DVDVR regulars who are now doing really cool shit. Bill Barnwell, Tom Lawlor, Mookieghana, etc.

DylanWaco is also involved in some cool indie stuff. The hype for Marko Stunt and PCO arguably started/built momentum with SCI.

• Like 1

Double A was on commentary for Hikaru Shida vs Big Swoll. Then it was Excalibur, Goldenboy and Chuck Taylor for Shazze McKenzie & Shalandra Royal vs Nyla Rose & Leva Bates. Then lots of Full Gear hype. Sorry for posting during the show. Just Excal & Goldenboy for SCU & Cima vs Hybrid2 & Sabian.

11 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m pretty sure Arn is on commentary for at least one of the matches from the Charlotte Dark too.

No, this is the Charlotte Dark. It's premiering right now. Makes no sense to keep it on the shelf until after the PPV.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

No, this is the Charlotte Dark. It's premiering right now. Makes no sense to keep it on the shelf until after the PPV.

Funny... Back in the day JCP, WWF, and later WCW would still air stuff that they taped prior to a big show. Sometimes they would hardly even reference the PPV.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Chuck Taylor is on commentary for this match.

He was being pretty quiet during the entrances though.

That was a really good little show. Only fifty minutes, and probably the least in-ring action of any Dark yet, but it was all good. Possibly that criticism that the matches were long for the sake of length was something the office agreed with, because everything here felt like it lasted the right amount of time.