DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So what's this I'm hearing about Kenny having a hard time getting into Japan?

When Kenny Omega went to Japan for the DDT show, he was stopped going into the country. It’s the third time this has happened since he left New Japan. Something happened where there was an attempt to get him banned from going to Japan for ten years. He did get in, like he has every time, and worked the show. But he was very bitter about New Japan and Nick Jackson made a cryptic tweet about New Japan. Suffice to say feelings are very bad right now with them, even though Jericho is going to the Tokyo Dome since he has a separate deal. Nothing has been said regarding Jon Moxley at the Tokyo Dome but there are still two months to go.

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That is some petty shit. Is it Sugabayashi being the vindictive ex? Kidani? I imagine it must be somebody very well connected to be able to pull those kinds of strings.

Hence my (not so ) oblique reference above. ? 

Couple things.   

1.  I saw some ratings chatter in the closed thread but I wanted to say 822K is very solid given that NXT did a shade under and not only has NXT been in a nice groove but they were heavily featured on both RAW and SDL this week and they are heavily featured headed into Survivor Series.  Plus,  there's been a ton of appearances from 'main roster' names with Finn Balor being a mainstay.  

My point is I didn't view NXT as a developmental even on the network but now it's truly not a developmental at all.  AEW is now going head to head with what is essentially a third WWE brand and the fact that they won in both total viewers and in the 18-49 demo is a good sign to me.  It shows that there is still an appetite for an alternative and NXT should be happy too because their number shows that people saw them on RAW/SDL and were interested enough to tune in on Wednesday.  

2. I don't think WWE owns the 2-ring team based cage format known as "War Games". As Dave pointed out they obviously own the name but I'd assume AEW can still do a version of the match and as someone else said they used to call it "The Match Beyond" and that's when all ten dudes are in the ring together and it's a fight to the finish.  

Here is a little promo video advertising Bash '87 among other things from JCP.  This is an awesome video.  I love these.  

Skip to 2:59 for the Bash '87 "THE MATCH BEYOND" promo. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I still view NXT as developmental. No matter what, the goal for most of those guys is to move to Raw or Smackdown and get a bigger spot. Otherwise, more top guys like Finn Balor should be moving or wanting to move back to NXT. 

Just like with 205 Live. I highly doubt most of those guys want to stay cruiserweights or be considered cruiserweights forever. When guys like Ali or Cedric Alexander left, it was treated like they got a promotion. 

Now, maybe it's different for say Roderick Strong. For Strong, NXT is likely the best his career would ever be in WWE. If he ever moved to Raw or Smackdown does anyone see him not getting lost in the shuffle or basically being glorified enhancement talent? That's basically what happened to Tye Dillinger after he moved up to the main roster. A guy like EC3 was definitely moved up way too quickly.

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I still view NXT as developmental. No matter what, the goal for most of those guys is to move to Raw or Smackdown and get a bigger spot. Otherwise, more top guys like Finn Balor should be moving or wanting to move back to NXT. 

Just like with 205 Live. I highly doubt most of those guys want to stay cruiserweights or be considered cruiserweights forever. When guys like Ali or Cedric Alexander left, it was treated like they got a promotion. 

Now, maybe it's different for say Roderick Strong. For Strong, NXT is likely the best his career would ever be in WWE. If he ever moved to Raw or Smackdown does anyone see him not getting lost in the shuffle or basically being glorified enhancement talent? That's basically what happened to Tye Dillinger after he moved up to the main roster. A guy like EC3 was definitely moved up way too quickly.

Not to flood an AEW thread with WWE talk, but if you ask me, Walter has the best gig in WWE. I wouldn't want to be moved out of NXT and NXT-UK.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

It's from Observer, so take it for what it is, but the Observer Newsletter claimed "something happened' when Omega went to Japan and basically suggested NJPW is trying to block Omega from entering the country or get him banned from working there for 10 years.

Would NJPW actually be able to do this and have they done this before? A wrestling promotion trying to blacklist or blackball a guy I can believe, but this scenario sounds far fetched.

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Kenny has also said that he's a Japanese citizen ...... so how could he be stopped? 

Has he given up his Canadian citizenship? If not then he probably isn't a Japanese citizen.

Most likely scenario, from what I gather, is that Kenny is not Japanese citizen and there probably were some issues with him either not declaring that he was leaving Japan (I think he wasn't there since WK?) or that he still had NJPW work visa for whom he obviously does not work anymore.

I'm loving the duelling factions at the moment. Some great brawls, a real believable hatred between them. I'm looking forward to a war-games type match, some taped fists, jeans, hopefully some blood. I wonder how long they can keep the Inner Circle v The Elite going if Cody and Jericho aren't feuding, maybe Omega or Page challenge Jericho. Or if Cody wins the title, Jericho gets a rematch somewhere down the line. 

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It's from Observer, so take it for what it is, but the Observer Newsletter claimed "something happened' when Omega went to Japan and basically suggested NJPW is trying to block Omega from entering the country or get him banned from working there for 10 years.

Would NJPW actually be able to do this and have they done this before? A wrestling promotion trying to blacklist or blackball a guy I can believe, but this scenario sounds far fetched.

As alludes to in one of the other threads, puro has always been well connected with the yakuza and it would not be outlandish to suggest that A could ask B for a favor, so B goes to C to get it done.

I mean, tangentially, if there was a real threat to Vince in 2019, would you doubt he or Linda would try and get [the guy at 1600] to lean on someone in some office to make things difficult for that other promotion. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Thanks 1

Not to belabor the point, but it really is interesting to see the shows in the South/Southeast doing so poorly ticket-sales wise and the Midwest shows doing relatively well. Champaign, IL has like two tickets left, Sears Center is doing fine for the size of the building, and Indianapolis will be a near sellout if not a sellout outright. Then you look at Corpus Christi, Jacksonville, and Nashville (less so but still not great). Full Gear isn't a sellout in Baltimore (yes, technically Mid-Atlantic) and they did seem to move quite a few more tickets after TV started. However, it does seem like the Midwest is their strongest fanbase in terms of showing up to the actual arena and the Northeast did obviously great with its few shows. I do wonder how invested the West coast will be. Somewhere in-between I would think. Hopefully they start hitting up the major Canadian cities next year as part of their expansion if they're still thinking about basing show locations off of viewership. I have faith they could do a mid-sized building in Toronto but am not so sure about us fickle Vancouverites or Montreal (though I think they'd be fine in Montreal). Do they include Winnipeg in the first wave of Canadian shows? All we hear about is nobody there knows who Kenny Omega is.

• Like 1

I get that they're building a "territory," but of all the places they've run, Corpus Christi is the one I've questioned the most. If they wanted to run a college town in Texas then Corpus Christi is probably the wrong one. That place may have been hot for wrestling during the attitude era, but I swear it's been the shits since. It's one of WWE's worst crowds and so far the AEW crowds have been hotter than Chernobyl, but I doubt they find much success there.

This may also be them testing the waters and maybe this tells them not to go back to Corpus Christi. Like, we tried, we failed, it's ok, we move on.