Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

To be fair, someone had Melina vs. Alicia Fox as their favorite match ever.  <Someone find that Austin GIF>

Yeah, but in equal fairness, who are you to doubt Bret Hart?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone explain me if there's a particular reason(s) that the WWE went from family friendly PG-13 to Bobby Lashley Cuckmaster Supreme?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Can anyone explain me if there's a particular reason(s) that the WWE went from family friendly PG-13 to Bobby Lashley Cuckmaster Supreme?

AEW and Paul Heyman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orton's stuff with Christian was almost always great, even if they did that same dumb finish all the time.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny you bring this up and I look up at the muted Simpsons episode on TV, where Homer is a TV recapper and they reveal to him that the entire network of "B+" shows, USA, is not an actual network because nobody has watched their series and the streaming provider just made it all up. 

Is Raw technically even a solid C?

Actually... Does Raw really exist? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things I’ve learned in this thread over the past few pages... 

 

1.  Intermittent explosive disorder is not what you call having to use at least 3/4 of the toilet paper roll. 
 

2.  Kojima’s cutter is severely underrated and belongs ahead of Orton’s, at least. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Foley/Orton was a tremendous feud in 03/04

Survivor Series 03 was probably the best Survivor Series team match ever?

 

.....that was tough to compile

From like Survivor Series 03 to Wrestlemania 21 was probably his best stretch of inring work. He had a good run as IC champ and his first World title win was good. His feud with Christian was dope. Rated RKO was good too. He's had periods where he wasn't motivated and has a noticeably care free attitude to the point where ot becomes refreshing to see him openly express when he's having fun out there. It's like after a point he knew he wouldn't be near John Cenas level even though especially after Batista was gone he was the closest so why try.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

2.  Kojima’s cutter is severely underrated and belongs ahead of Orton’s, at least. 

Shit, Tenryu was crazy enough to do his to the floor in his 40s. I don't think anybody else we can name has done that.

EDIT: I could have that backwards and it was Muta doing it to him, but either way

Edited by Curt McGirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Intermittent explosive disorder is not what you call having to use at least 3/4 of the toilet paper roll. 

But it can still feels like an IED going off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I think both Mike and Maria would object to your choice of words. Still, definitely fun to see some of the massive overpays taking place because they missed the boat on Stardust. 

The worst part is that it ties into the "Orton had one good moment every so often and creative couldn't follow up on it" problem, since ultimately it goes down to the same weakness for all of the overpays: 

"We want to be used more!"

"How's more money." 

"That's nice- but give us some creative direction. Use us in storylines. Don't just play with your favorite toys...and if you do, don't give them utter crap to work with."

"...how's EVEN MORE money?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

That police Uniform looks an awful lot like a Nazi-Uniform, although this may be my German-school-System history lessons pulling mind tricks on me. 

That would be Vangellys, who I am watching right now on CMLL, and yeah, he apparently collects Nazi stuff. There's some people into that thing despite the reality that the Nazis would have murdered them and their families. There's a few other Mexico gimmick names which are in that vicinity.

The Wikipedia entry says this:

"In 2001 Vangelis was given a new ring character, that of a Nazi soldier, complete with swastika armband and the Nazi salute that naturally made him a rudo, a heel or bad guy character. Vangelis formed a group known as Los Warriors along with Kevin (a sailor), Brandon (an Aztec warrior) and Uri (a viking) although Uri only worked with the group for a few months"

For the record, Vangellys wore a subtle only slightly Nazi-looking hat to the ring tonight

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Log said:

It’s weird to think that there is probably a person who lives on Earth right now who has Natalia as their favorite wrestler. That person could’ve chosen any of the wrestlers in existence at any point in time, and they chose Natalia. 

Technically speaking, there is someone, somewhere on this planet, who is the world's biggest Firebreaker Chip fan. Let that sink in for a moment.

4 hours ago, Zartan said:

Ok you got me on this one. 
 

So almost 20 years and I’ve gotten all these answers to account for MAYBE one years worth of good shit if I’m being generous. 
 

The cutter list goes like this- 

1. DDP

2. Kanyon

3. Orton

 

He is the poster boy for riding a last name of someone that came before him that was infinitely better. If WCW worked as hard at making Erik Watts a star I’m sure after 20 years we’d be able to piece together more then just a decent year. 

Oh, come on. First, Chris Kanyon was awesome, and he deserved better than what this business gave him, but his Kanyon Cutter was not better than the RKO. 

And second, are you really trying to pretend like Orton is just skating by because of who he's related to? We're just going to pretend like he doesn't have preternatural timing? Like he isn't one of the most mechanically gifted wrestlers of his generation? I'm not a fan of his, but Goddamn, you're up in here talking like he's Curtis Axel. Let's see Erik Watts and his basic ass have a match anywhere near as good as Randy's matches against Christian.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

That would be Vangellys, who I am watching right now on CMLL, and yeah, he apparently collects Nazi stuff. There's some people into that thing despite the reality that the Nazis would have murdered them and their families. There's a few other Mexico gimmick names which are in that vicinity.

The Wikipedia entry says this:

"In 2001 Vangelis was given a new ring character, that of a Nazi soldier, complete with swastika armband and the Nazi salute that naturally made him a rudo, a heel or bad guy character. Vangelis formed a group known as Los Warriors along with Kevin (a sailor), Brandon (an Aztec warrior) and Uri (a viking) although Uri only worked with the group for a few months"

For the record, Vangellys wore a subtle only slightly Nazi-looking hat to the ring tonight

 La Commandante (the luchadora that hangs around with Terrible) used to be La Nazi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Randy Orton is Daniel Bryan's best opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Randy Orton is Daniel Bryan's best opponent.

Nah... They had a really great TV match together, but those matches he had with him after the beginning of The Authority angle were a chore to get through. Bryan had way better consistent matches with Sheamus. Actual best opponent is up for debate since he’s had wonderful chemistry with a variety of people. I’d still say personally it’s Nigel.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Nah... They had a really great TV match together, but those matches he had with him after the beginning of The Authority angle were a chore to get through. 

The PPV matches were a step down from their TV matches, but I highly recommend their match on Raw in December the night after Orton unified both belts. This was a week after that Raw in Seattle where Daniel Bryan chants hijacked a crazy closing segment. Bryan was shit hot at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Questions to anybody who attended a WWF marathon taping back in the day. How was it like? Did they used to front load them, or did they have one competitive match an hour to keep interest? How did they get people to stay? Did they promise a big time match for the end of the tapings?

I went to one Superstars taping back in 1990. It was full of squashes, the occasional mid-card match taped for PrimeTime, and then two "main events". One was The Ultimate Warrior and the Road Warriors v Demolition and the other was Hulk Hogan v Earthquake. I do remember specifically that Black Bart wrestled four matches that night. I was front row and got on TV once cheering as Ravishing Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan walked by. They also took my "Hulkamania Is Dead! Long Live Earthquake!" sign away from me. I have pictures from the night online somewhere, if you're interested. I know I posted them here before a long time ago.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I went to one Superstars taping back in 1990. It was full of squashes, the occasional mid-card match taped for PrimeTime, and then two "main events". One was The Ultimate Warrior and the Road Warriors v Demolition and the other was Hulk Hogan v Earthquake. I do remember specifically that Black Bart wrestled four matches that night. I was front row and got on TV once cheering as Ravishing Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan walked by. They also took my "Hulkamania Is Dead! Long Live Earthquake!" sign away from me. I have pictures from the night online somewhere, if you're interested. I know I posted them here before a long time ago.

WWF @ Flint, MI - IMA Sports Arena - September 19, 1990?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. That one exactly! It was my birthday present that year 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Questions to anybody who attended a WWF marathon taping back in the day. How was it like? Did they used to front load them, or did they have one competitive match an hour to keep interest? How did they get people to stay? Did they promise a big time match for the end of the tapings?

I was a little one so my memory might be fucked but as a I remember it they filmed a ton of squash matches,  Primetime and matches for a SummerSlam Spectacular maybe?  It was in Worcester, Mass. I believe.   Anyway,  it did not feel too long to me I remember having the time of my life but hey I was like 5 or something so what do you expect? 

I was a little luckier than the other show discussed,  there were quite a few interesting matches with names vs. names 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching a random TNA PPV on my DVR from Fight Network. Eric Young won a 10 man elimination match over Doug Williams, Petey Williams, Hiroshi Tanahash, Volador Jr., Jay Lethal, Homicide, Consequences Creed, Jimmy Rave and Sonjay Dutt. It was a good action match. I'm just sad how deep Eric Young is buried now. He can do anything from face to heel and serious to comedy. I never even see his name mentioned recently.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ka-to said:

I'm watching a random TNA PPV on my DVR from Fight Network. Eric Young won a 10 man elimination match over Doug Williams, Petey Williams, Hiroshi Tanahash, Volador Jr., Jay Lethal, Homicide, Consequences Creed, Jimmy Rave and Sonjay Dutt. It was a good action match. I'm just sad how deep Eric Young is buried now. He can do anything from face to heel and serious to comedy. I never even see his name mentioned recently.

Was this when Eric was still taking insane 80’s chicken shit heel bumps as part of Team Canada? That’s still my favorite Eric Young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...