DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

6 hours ago, bazzil said:

I know about that. I also know that Cornette did not say that guy should kill himself as was erroneously claimed by some dishonest people and blindly believed by many more.

OK. He said "He should be hung in the parking lot", so in other words, not that Smallman should kill himself, but that other people should kill Smallman. Because not wearing a Bowtie to announce is apparently grounds for lynching.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

OK. He said "He should be hung in the parking lot", so in other words, not that Smallman should kill himself, but that other people should kill Smallman. Because not wearing a Bowtie to announce is apparently grounds for lynching.

Next thing you know this guy is going to say Cornette didn't say Justin Roberts looked like a pedophile.

Sounds like someone else here...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Doubtful. Most conservatives/Republicans (like Vince) prefer to ignore the decades long friendship between Epstein and Dear Orange Leader, and claim that Epstein is just another in a long line of people that Bill and Hillary have had murdered. If anything, this will get EC3 a title run.

Just using logic: It's a simple matter of fact that almost everyone in the media opposes Trump. If there was this strong connection between Trump and Epstein. and Trump turning a blind eye to the whole paedophile sex ring why is it not all over the media, and why did the media essentially disappear the entire story the way dictatorships disappear their critics (which is the thing that inspired the Epstein memes in the first place)?

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Just using logic: It's a simple matter of fact that almost everyone in the media opposes Trump. If there was this strong connection between Trump and Epstein. and Trump turning a blind eye to the whole paedophile sex ring why is it not all over the media, and why did the media essentially disappear the entire story the way dictatorships disappear their critics (which is the thing that inspired the Epstein memes in the first place)?

My assumption is because Epstein was tight with a lot of people in power. Including people who own/run networks.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ace said:

My assumption is because Epstein was tight with a lot of people in power. Including people who own/run networks.

That is in fact very true, but the fact that just about the entire American media is doing so is certainly interesting (as is the fact that the only network that hasn't ignored the story is one that has faced numerous sexual misconduct scandals in the past few years).

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Next thing you know this guy is going to say Cornette didn't say Justin Roberts looked like a pedophile.

Sounds like someone else here...

It hurts the brain watching people still push this “It’s only because it’s Cornette” bullshit. 

Considering how much of the board is being infected by this right now, this may be the most overdue Dumpster Fire thread needed. 

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

It hurts the brain watching people still push this “It’s only because it’s Cornette” bullshit. 

Considering how much of the board is being infected by this right now, this may be the most overdue Dumpster Fire thread needed. 

Being offended about other people's feelings of of offense is en vogue right now.

Well, that, and some people who like Cornette for whatever reason can't just say, "yeah, he's shit, but I enjoy his work" or "yeah, what he said was too much, but I like his commentary/podcast in general" and move on. It's like someone attacking Cornette's behavior translates to an attack on the identity of the person who likes Cornette.

The modern American way of forging identity - the things that I like and consume are ME - is probably pretty unhealthy. 

But that's just my take. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Well, that, and some people who like Cornette for whatever reason can't just say, "yeah, he's shit, but I enjoy his work" or "yeah, what he said was too much, but I like his commentary/podcast in general" and move on. It's like someone attacking Cornette's behavior translates to an attack on the identity of the person who likes Cornette.

The modern American way of forging identity - the things that I like and consume are ME - is probably pretty unhealthy. 

But that's just my take. 

But the exact opposite is true as well- the modern American way of forging identity is also "the things that you like and consume are YOU", so that leads to the problem as well. 

As such, people who like Cornette can't just say "yeah, he's shit, but I enjoy his work" or "yeah, what he said was too much, but I like his commentary/podcast in general" because the response will become inevitably "You like Cornette and he's a shithead? Well, by liking Cornette, you agree with everything he says and you are a shithead too!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

What have Smackdown's ratings been like lately?  I remember seeing the numbers posted here for the first couple weeks but nothing since the FS1 episode.

They lost out to Frosty the Snowman this week according to Post Wrestling 

https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/11/30/smackdowns-number-drops-against-frosty-the-snowman/

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But the exact opposite is true as well- the modern American way of forging identity is also "the things that you like and consume are YOU", so that leads to the problem as well. 

As such, people who like Cornette can't just say "yeah, he's shit, but I enjoy his work" or "yeah, what he said was too much, but I like his commentary/podcast in general" because the response will become inevitably "You like Cornette and he's a shithead? Well, by liking Cornette, you agree with everything he says and you are a shithead too!"

Sure, though I think the "ME" predates the "YOU." Get a bunch of fandoms of movies, gamers or, hell, pro wrestling fans together and they can be pretty toxic, which leads to assumptions of toxicity that are unfair on an individual level, but that come from somewhere. 

For example, I think Knives Out is a fantastic movie and I enjoy Rian Johnson's work in general, but inevitably on any article about that movie, Star Wars fans come in and go on and on about how terrible Johnson is and how he ruined Star Wars, which is obsessive enough in a weird and unhealthy way on its own, but that then also leads weird places about how Johnson is too hung up on female representation and personally must hate Star Wars fans a lot of the time, and that's pretty revealing about many of those fans. 

And I think that the assumptions about those fans that you mention comes from the initial weird overreaction to a fantasy film. Like, there's critique, and then there's being oddly personal about art that you don't like, and I think as humans, most people go there at least a few times in their life. Some people, however, make that a way of life.

---

The other issue is that your argument re: Cornette and his recent antics is not quite equivalent. I don't think that Cornette is any more racist than any other white dude from Tennessee. This society is racist, sexist, etc., and people are influenced by their society, but I don't believe that Cornette is actively, intentionally racist. He's just a dude who makes bad racist jokes because he's fucking old and slow to change. 

However, he does come off as a dude who loves the shock value angle and who, even after he got fired from Power, was putting up a podcast about snowflakes who can't take a joke and shit IIRC. He courts this stuff on purpose, and so you wonder: Who is he courting by defending his own racist jokes or telling people that they should be hanged for not wearing a tie or whatever? It really speaks to what type of listener that he believes that he can get by doing this stuff. 

I don't find it strange when someone questions Cornette defenders from that perspective. I don't mean to say that if an artist does or says things that one finds ethically unacceptable, we must all hate their art. HOWEVER, when someone goes out of their way to parse Cornette by pointing out that he just said that he thought someone should be hanged rather than that someone should commit suicide, so really, the LIARS are just out there lying to the SHEEP who should listen for themselves or that people who don't appreciate race-based jokes about fried chicken and East African famine in 2019 are just SNOWFLAKES, I'm not sure that you should be shocked that people make assumptions about the defenders. 

In general, our culture is going through political and social upheaval, and people can't relate to one another and some people don't like change or having to think about how they relate to others, and other people don't know or feel that their concerns are being heard, and so that seeps into everything, including our good old pro wrestling when really, we would probably all rather talk about how dope wrestling is. Because wrestling IS pretty dope. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ka-to said:

Baron Corbin should be getting over now that he is wearing the mandatory Baron cape. You can't take a Baron seriously without one.

I wonder if Darin Corbin gets pissed for being mistaken for Baron Corbin.

5 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

What have Smackdown's ratings been like lately?  I remember seeing the numbers posted here for the first couple weeks but nothing since the FS1 episode.

Still higher than the other American wrestling shows. And ok demos.