DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Unplugged Cole is entertaining, such as in the overseas ‘live-event spectacles’, to borrow the ridiculous phrasing from that award (sounds like some funky new VR goggles to me, but anyway). I thought he had a good rapport with Tazz albeit a very long time ago.

Unfortunately you cannot parrot nonsensical buzzwords and cynically tout the charity stuff for decades without the negatives tarnishing the ventriloquist dummy, even if he is just the messenger, to thoroughly mix my metaphors. 

My biggest gripe is his artificial excited/emphatic voice that he slides into with such ease, that it’s like someone putting on an emoji mask to let you know they feel a particular emotion then taking it off again. My biggest negative with Tom Phillips is he has adopted the exact same emphatic tone to a tee, presumably learned from his mentor, and this combined with his delivery just makes him sound like a robot.

I think Schiavone hits that sweet spot between professional, authoritative while still genuine and a likeable guy that you’ve welcomed into your home.

Failing that, give me Booker T or Dusty’s excited incoherence over Cole any day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Custos said:

I think Schiavone hits that sweet spot between professional, authoritative while still genuine and a likeable guy that you’ve welcomed into your home.

Schiavone used to legit get excited when somebody would get nailed, and the crowd energy picked up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

To be fair, I vividly remember his call of Daniel Bryan winning at WM30 and the end of the streak, so he does have some iconic moments.

Plus he’s been through shit like Jerry Lawler collapsing and having to push through the rest of the show, and by all accounts he’s very hands on and helpful at the PC, so I don’t doubt his professionalism and efforts towards helping the business. I just don’t particularly want to hear him call a wrestling show any more.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Custos said:

To be fair, I vividly remember his call of Daniel Bryan winning at WM30 and the end of the streak, so he does have some iconic moments.

This is an example of Michael Cole's best quality as an announcer...he's the only announcer who really gets the importance of someone winning the World Title for the first time.

Cole may get into the same "We have a new World Champion! History has been made here!"...but he always gives that little bit more when it's "We have a NEW World Champion! [Wrestler] has just made it to the top of the mountain and etched their name among the all-time greats!" All of Cole's best calls- Daniel Bryan at WM30, Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004, Mankind on 1/4/99...all amazing calls that some of the better announcers would have dropped and failed to make as important.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

This is an example of Michael Cole's best quality as an announcer...he's the only announcer who really gets the importance of someone winning the World Title for the first time.

Cole may get into the same "We have a new World Champion! History has been made here!"...but he always gives that little bit more when it's "We have a NEW World Champion! [Wrestler] has just made it to the top of the mountain and etched their name among the all-time greats!" All of Cole's best calls- Daniel Bryan at WM30, Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004, Mankind on 1/4/99...all amazing calls that some of the better announcers would have dropped and failed to make as important.

He really does not get enough credit for the no way out call. You could tell it was a legit emotional moment for him. And the excitement was real when he’s cheering for Eddie as he goes up for the frog splash. I have so many issues with him, but dude does have his moments 

• Like 7

I bring this up every time Cole's abilities are brought up.  YouTube anything from the 1980 Shea Stadium show that WWE 24/7 aired forever ago.  He and Mick Foley are just shooting the shit the entire time knowing Vince isn't listening and Cole is both laid-back and entertaining.  It's easily some of his best work from start to finish.

• Like 2

I really can't tell in hindsight if Taz and Cole or JBL and Cole were really that good in hindsight, or just eons better than King/JR's tired act with Coach thrown in.

Either way, he'd be what, top 10 for longest ongoing WWE employees of all time without ever leaving or having a sabbatical/absence/run elsewhere. It's pretty fucking amazing. 

• Like 2

Just now, RolandTHTG said:

I really can't tell in hindsight if Taz and Cole or JBL and Cole were really that good in hindsight, or just eons better than King/JR's tired act with Coach thrown in.

Either way, he'd be what, top 10 for longest ongoing WWE employees of all time without ever leaving or having a sabbatical/absence/run elsewhere. It's pretty fucking amazing. 

I was gonna bring up the Taz pairing myself, and count me as someone who enjoyed it. And I think a sign they were legitimately good was how abysmal Taz was with Mike Tenay on TNA (in my opinion, anyway).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was gonna bring up the Taz pairing myself, and count me as someone who enjoyed it. And I think a sign they were legitimately good was how abysmal Taz was with Mike Tenay on TNA (in my opinion, anyway).

Wasn’t it the Cole-Tazz pairing where Cole got upset with Tazz because he kept making gay jokes at his expense And complained to management, hence why they split them up?  Or did I make up that story?

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This should be on any Michael Cole list.

The intensity of this segment is heightened muchly from it's length, but redneck bully Austin is as intimidating as Dr. D Davis Shultz and that is great praise from RAF. Heel Cole's run was so so painful, again muchly because of it's length and how much he was protected (and Mr. McMahon).  I still have the PTSDs from the Guest GM Era. However, there were Cole highlights, usually when he shows ass, like:

cole-mine-funny.png

"The Cole Mine" - it still makes me chuckle.

- RAF

On 11/27/2019 at 6:06 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: Brock

Compared to literally 90% of the guys in UFC or were in the UFC at some point, his doesn't seem as bad. Sean O'Malley's doesn't even look like a real tattoo for example. Steven Peterson has a pretty bad one too. It's like he had 25 different ideas and decided to go with ALL of them. Chris Camozzi falls into this category as well. I am also not a big fan of Darren Elkins' The Damage tattoo. It's probably because I remember Elkins earlier in his career where he just had a small tattoo on his arm. Now he has that, The Damage in stitches, and a dragon his shoulder that almost touches the one on his chest. It's too much. Speaking of guys going with their nickname, if I didn't know Anthony Smith was nicknamed the Lionheart, I would think he just had a tiny flame on his chest instead of a lion.  

Kid Yamamoto (RIP) I thought had some cool shit later on after his career was pretty much done. He had a pretty nice one on his right shoulder (the cyborg-ish one) prior to getting the other work. Thiago Santos also has a hammer that says Marreta (which is Portuguese for you guessed it...sledgehammer). For whatever reason, I liked Alessio Sakara's tattoos because he already looked like a goddamn serial killer to begin with so that just makes him look even more intimidating. I thought Scott Jorgensen choosing to get all his work colorful and bright as hell was a wise decision once he finally got his vitiligo under control. Maybe this is cheating because he has really dark skin, but Israel Adesanya's tattoo of the African continent (apparently he has Nigeria outlined on it) looks pretty fucking cool.

I do claim Gustafsson's wolf as a serious bad tattoo guilty pleasure. 

33 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I do claim Gustafsson's wolf as a serious bad tattoo guilty pleasure. 

If we're thinking of the same tattoo, apparently, that's a tattoo of his first dog (a pitbull named Tequila) he had when he was a teenager and eventually lost custody of after going to jail for beating up a biker gang with his friends. I didn't know Sweden was that rough and tumble. Between that story and Reza Madadi, I don't know what to think now.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If we're thinking of the same tattoo, apparently, that's a tattoo of his first dog (a pitbull named Tequila) he had when he was a teenager and eventually lost custody of after going to jail for beating up a biker gang with his friends. I didn't know Sweden was that rough and tumble. Between that story and Reza Madadi, I don't know what to think now.

Lots of biker gangs in Sweden and Norway. Viking heritage and all that happy horseshit. 

Anyway, on the subject of tats, no one has mentioned how frightfully expensive they are to get a good one. I've made it to 62 without any ink simply due to the fact  that whenever the thought crossed my mind there was usually something else that I'd rather spend money on. (Usually a book, so I suppose that you could look at my collection and see what could have been full body art had I not preferred the printed word...)

• Like 2