DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

2 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I keep hearing “nip-up” on wrestling commentary lately instead of the proper “kip-up” and I’m convinced the Mandela Effect is messing with me.  Until the last few weeks I’ve never heard it called a nip-up. 

What the fuck is going on?

This is the biggest evidence that we’ve slipped into an alternate reality since Dolly not having braces in Moonraker. 

I feel like I've heard both for decades, FWIW.

• Like 3

I've heard both terms used for the same thing interchangeably forever. I don't know which is right. According to wikipedia's kip-up entry they're the same thing. Although, that one is disputed for lack of sources~! There's also a nip-up entry. Both are in the dictionary.

Definition of nip-up
: a spring from a supine position to a standing position

Definition of kip-up
: a kip executed from a supine position on the mat in tumbling

Edited by Ryan

9 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Unpopular opinion time:

Michael Cole isn't a bad announcer. He just calls matches how Vince likes them to be. I felt his commentary for Bryan/Orton/Batista and Team Cena/ Team HHH in 2014 are good examples of him actually selling the match well. 

Cole's fantastic and fuck anyone who says otherwise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't that the show where Balor won the NXT title from KO?

I can't imagine anyone being good with Vince screaming in their ear. 

His work in the early NXT when they became the replacement for FCW was much better than his main roster work at the time. This was probably a year after the awful heel announcer run. Even his heel work on the NXT Redemption season was good because it wasn't overproduced and every was just having fun.

Cole is a lifer, a company man, and good at his job for what it is. He's not a legend. There is no Michael Cole call that gets replayed on even WWE's social media. No wrestler hopes Cole calls their match because that's the announcer they grew up listening to, even though for many of them he is. The times I've enjoyed his announcing he's been straight play by play with almost zero personality, which is a skill unto itself but doesn't lend itself to gaining legendary status. My memories of Cole's career without looking anything up are:

1) Getting destroyed by Brock.

2) That one time he got shredded.

3) Eddie Guerrero/Kurt Angle from Mania.

4) When he thankfully turned face after Lawler died.

5) Orange singlet.

For a twenty year career, that's not a heck of a lot. Full disclosure, I wasn't watching regularly between 2002 and 2009 but I've gone back and watched the big moments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unplugged Cole is entertaining, such as in the overseas ‘live-event spectacles’, to borrow the ridiculous phrasing from that award (sounds like some funky new VR goggles to me, but anyway). I thought he had a good rapport with Tazz albeit a very long time ago.

Unfortunately you cannot parrot nonsensical buzzwords and cynically tout the charity stuff for decades without the negatives tarnishing the ventriloquist dummy, even if he is just the messenger, to thoroughly mix my metaphors. 

My biggest gripe is his artificial excited/emphatic voice that he slides into with such ease, that it’s like someone putting on an emoji mask to let you know they feel a particular emotion then taking it off again. My biggest negative with Tom Phillips is he has adopted the exact same emphatic tone to a tee, presumably learned from his mentor, and this combined with his delivery just makes him sound like a robot.

I think Schiavone hits that sweet spot between professional, authoritative while still genuine and a likeable guy that you’ve welcomed into your home.

Failing that, give me Booker T or Dusty’s excited incoherence over Cole any day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Custos said:

I think Schiavone hits that sweet spot between professional, authoritative while still genuine and a likeable guy that you’ve welcomed into your home.

Schiavone used to legit get excited when somebody would get nailed, and the crowd energy picked up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

To be fair, I vividly remember his call of Daniel Bryan winning at WM30 and the end of the streak, so he does have some iconic moments.

Plus he’s been through shit like Jerry Lawler collapsing and having to push through the rest of the show, and by all accounts he’s very hands on and helpful at the PC, so I don’t doubt his professionalism and efforts towards helping the business. I just don’t particularly want to hear him call a wrestling show any more.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Custos said:

To be fair, I vividly remember his call of Daniel Bryan winning at WM30 and the end of the streak, so he does have some iconic moments.

This is an example of Michael Cole's best quality as an announcer...he's the only announcer who really gets the importance of someone winning the World Title for the first time.

Cole may get into the same "We have a new World Champion! History has been made here!"...but he always gives that little bit more when it's "We have a NEW World Champion! [Wrestler] has just made it to the top of the mountain and etched their name among the all-time greats!" All of Cole's best calls- Daniel Bryan at WM30, Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004, Mankind on 1/4/99...all amazing calls that some of the better announcers would have dropped and failed to make as important.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

This is an example of Michael Cole's best quality as an announcer...he's the only announcer who really gets the importance of someone winning the World Title for the first time.

Cole may get into the same "We have a new World Champion! History has been made here!"...but he always gives that little bit more when it's "We have a NEW World Champion! [Wrestler] has just made it to the top of the mountain and etched their name among the all-time greats!" All of Cole's best calls- Daniel Bryan at WM30, Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004, Mankind on 1/4/99...all amazing calls that some of the better announcers would have dropped and failed to make as important.

He really does not get enough credit for the no way out call. You could tell it was a legit emotional moment for him. And the excitement was real when he’s cheering for Eddie as he goes up for the frog splash. I have so many issues with him, but dude does have his moments 

• Like 7