DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Unpopular opinion time:

Michael Cole isn't a bad announcer. He just calls matches how Vince likes them to be. I felt his commentary for Bryan/Orton/Batista and Team Cena/ Team HHH in 2014 are good examples of him actually selling the match well. 

• Like 9

Guest The Magnificent 7

I keep hearing “nip-up” on wrestling commentary lately instead of the proper “kip-up” and I’m convinced the Mandela Effect is messing with me.  Until the last few weeks I’ve never heard it called a nip-up. 

What the fuck is going on?

This is the biggest evidence that we’ve slipped into an alternate reality since Dolly not having braces in Moonraker. 

54 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Unpopular opinion time:

Michael Cole isn't a bad announcer. He just calls matches how Vince likes them to be. I felt his commentary for Bryan/Orton/Batista and Team Cena/ Team HHH in 2014 are good examples of him actually selling the match well. 

There's a show on the network, I believe from Japan, with an unproduced Michael Cole, where he is quite good.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ace said:

There's a show on the network, I believe from Japan, with an unproduced Michael Cole, where he is quite good.

Wasn't that the show where Balor won the NXT title from KO?

I can't imagine anyone being good with Vince screaming in their ear. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I keep hearing “nip-up” on wrestling commentary lately instead of the proper “kip-up” and I’m convinced the Mandela Effect is messing with me.  Until the last few weeks I’ve never heard it called a nip-up. 

What the fuck is going on?

This is the biggest evidence that we’ve slipped into an alternate reality since Dolly not having braces in Moonraker. 

I feel like I've heard both for decades, FWIW.

• Like 3

I've heard both terms used for the same thing interchangeably forever. I don't know which is right. According to wikipedia's kip-up entry they're the same thing. Although, that one is disputed for lack of sources~! There's also a nip-up entry. Both are in the dictionary.

Definition of nip-up
: a spring from a supine position to a standing position

Definition of kip-up
: a kip executed from a supine position on the mat in tumbling

Edited by Ryan

9 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Unpopular opinion time:

Cole's fantastic and fuck anyone who says otherwise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't that the show where Balor won the NXT title from KO?

I can't imagine anyone being good with Vince screaming in their ear. 

His work in the early NXT when they became the replacement for FCW was much better than his main roster work at the time. This was probably a year after the awful heel announcer run. Even his heel work on the NXT Redemption season was good because it wasn't overproduced and every was just having fun.

Cole is a lifer, a company man, and good at his job for what it is. He's not a legend. There is no Michael Cole call that gets replayed on even WWE's social media. No wrestler hopes Cole calls their match because that's the announcer they grew up listening to, even though for many of them he is. The times I've enjoyed his announcing he's been straight play by play with almost zero personality, which is a skill unto itself but doesn't lend itself to gaining legendary status. My memories of Cole's career without looking anything up are:

1) Getting destroyed by Brock.

2) That one time he got shredded.

3) Eddie Guerrero/Kurt Angle from Mania.

4) When he thankfully turned face after Lawler died.

5) Orange singlet.

For a twenty year career, that's not a heck of a lot. Full disclosure, I wasn't watching regularly between 2002 and 2009 but I've gone back and watched the big moments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1