DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

23 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I remember that promo Reigns cut about how he had his throat slit from ear to ear in prison being pretty good. Guy came off as legit scary in that instance.

“I almost got murdered in prison, why the hell would I be afraid of a match with The Undertaker?”

This is actually a significant moment in my fan development. Both the incongruity of how him being an enduring survivor of a terrible life was supposed to get us to boo him (which crystallized my “Vince’s idea of heroism is backwards” thesis) and the disappointment of getting such a great tease of maybe somebody finally being not afraid of The Undertaker’s shtick  only to have him be afraid of UT’s shtick and get squashed. Which made UT as tiresome for me as Hogan or HHH for the same reason.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Do we really think the American people want 100,000 wrestlers thrown off the contracts they signed with Vince McMahon? The answer is not Independent Wrestling For All. The answer is Independent Wrestling For All Who Want It.

$1,000 worth of Global Force gold per month for every man and woman.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I know only five people watch it, but isn’t Tom Phillips commentating NXT UK?

He does

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm not entirely sure why NXT UK exists. It was created as counter programming to World of Sport 2019 (which was basically dead on arrival anyway), didn't get a UK tv deal at launch and became a WWE Network exclusive, and still is. BT Sport's 2020 WWE deal is just for RAW and Smackdown. And most UK fans (of UK wrestling, which is the minority of UK fans) would rather see, say, Walter vs Devlin in OTT or Progress than in NXT UK (unless it's on a Takeover).

Kind of feels more like WWE's UK investment is more to do with a power play to strangle the life out of the UK indies, than it is to actually have an arm of the company that generates profit.

It exists because HHH wants it to exist. He wants to spread the brand globally. This has been known for years as a goal of his. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

*entire ROH roster joins Yang Gang*

Yeah, but does Stella Grey REALLY deserve to make $12,000 worth of Global Force gold a year? Does a grocery store worker deserve it more????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It exists because HHH wants it to exist. He wants to spread the brand globally. This has been known for years as a goal of his. 

Vanity, thy name is Paul.

WWE is already the most popular wrestling brand in the world. It already has been spread globally. So he wants his grand achievement to be creating a brand within that brand, and spread it globally by using his father in laws resources to buy exposure pre existing talent? Then sell that talent back to the fans who supported it on the way up originally, while insisting it's all his own work and demanding to be praised for it?

Hunter is a dickhead.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Do we really think the American people want 100,000 wrestlers thrown off the contracts they signed with Vince McMahon? The answer is not Independent Wrestling For All. The answer is Independent Wrestling For All Who Want It.

This, and it needs to be said.

WWE signing all these wrestlers is better for indie wrestling than sending them back.

The rise in the indies can be attributed to them remaining fresh- and it's fresh because WWE culls the herd (similar to hunters killing some animals so the rest don't starve to death.) One WWE or AEW signing to go national opens up a spot in NJPW/Impact, which opens up two spots (their spot and the replacement's spot) in ROH/EVOLVE/MLW, which opens up four spots (same) in the mid-major indies, which opens up some spots on small indies, which opens up spots in shindies, which gives spots to trainees. By this vacuum, you can open up dozens of spots just by one person signing a national deal, keeping the indies fresh.

By the opposite side, a big release spree by WWE would cripple the indies: For the next six months, every indie worth their salt would have at least one of the people released- and likely a match. The indie scene would be hobbled until some people are found wanting and fall off, and even then you'd hinder the rising stars on the indies from taking hold.

• Like 1

Triple H seems to basically want to recreate the territory system, but under the WWE/NXT banner, on a global scale. Then he can move talent around, keep people fresh, and strangle the life out of all competition.

• Like 2

This is the last thing I'm going to say about Mauro Ranallo.  I know his story.  It's why I have no empathy towards him.  He self-medicates his serious mental issue because he distrusts "big pharma" and claims THC as being the only thing that works for him.  Which clearly does not and is also incredibly dangerous to mix a hallucinogen with an extremely unbalanced brain chemistry.  It's also really irresponsible for someone that fancies himself a mental health advocate.  Say some kid suffers the same extreme mood swings as him and discovers the bipolar guy from WWE and looks into what he does and tries it and suffers a psychotic break.  There are plenty of people that suffer mental issues and have no support system or resources to deal with them.  He's a damn near 50-year old man that makes a lot of money and has essentially made his issue his gimmick.  He needs professional help not validation from nerds on the internet.

So you can all return to your high horses and continue spreading empathy by exclaiming fuck Graves, JBL, Vince, Rollins, Orton, Hogan, Saudi Arabia, Big Cass, and whoever else makes you feel as if you're standing atop the mythical moral high ground.  Like RiRi, GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING RECORDING ARTIST, RIHANNA, SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dana Brooke is a bad motherfucker. I wish she was a better wrestler so I could explain my unabashed fandom of her a little better. It's so goddamn unfortunate she didn't get to fuck Charlotte up a couple years ago after Charlotte was such a big old beez to her. Anything that gets that young woman a little bit of extra attention is A-OK by me, even if it doesn't translate to her winning matches on TV.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1