DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's like Vanilla Ice's hair and Egon from The Real Ghostbusters' hair had a hair baby.

You are painting a beautiful picture with words, man. No further analysis needed. So perfect.

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

Bruiser Bedlam had a completely bald head except for a tiny pony tail.  It was glorious.

As a dude that grew up in a neighborhood with hella eses, that is what is known as a "Mongolian". Pretty goofy looking haircut, but most of the dudes I knew that wore it were not to be told as such. Much like I figure Bruiser probably never heard about how dumb it was.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember Ace Steel referring to Sterling James Keenan as a CM Punk clone and Chad Collyer (whom Steel was feuding with at the time) as a half-assed Malenko clone.

Not really much of a reach there on either side, especially Collyer.  Trained by Dean and used the name in BattlARTS and NJPW. I was always partial to his work as the Metal Master in Michinoku Pro. He's  a magician and a mentalist now, apparently.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Brian Pillman Jr would like to have a word with you.

If I may crib from the GIFs thread a while ago:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Also on Bautista and hair:

Spoiler

nB11Ktatlla6lRn5exDRXrYKwse_xycslV0w2Kzw

AtIhS2vCMAAzL39.jpg

Edit to add: all of you throwing shade on the Pics thread, sometimes it's nice to switch your brain off and see photos of cool wrestlers doing cool things. Yes, sometimes it veers off towards the Hana Kimura Spank Bank Special, but it soon back on track with a dapper luchador in a suit, or similar.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Let me put it this way because a lot of people seem to be missing the point that they are co-workers,  both Mauro and Graves.  If I went on a social media platform and started bashing my co-workers what the fuck do you think would happen?  

Honest question because some of you just don't get it...  what the fuck would happen?  Hint:  we wouldn't be co-workers anymore. 

That's why voiced his opinion, that's why he goes out his way to say alot of what he says, Because he knows he's going to get heat with fans, sheet writers,  whatever. He's a wrestler whose career was cut short, he still gets to be a heel without having to bump again and that's what he's doing now. The company has a ton a ass kissers that will defend them without being asked he's just the loudest but even if he believes what he's saying, he knows he's going get heat from the fans. He's not far behind Cole as far as announcers, if he was still only regulated to call NXT, he would be vocal, he's been put in a really good position from having to retire.

If you want an announcer who used to be a Wrestler but they got injured and their career was cut short, you've got Excalibur, you've got Taz, you've got Joey Matthews. None of them treated a career ending injury like it was an Asshole Licence. Corey Graves does.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

He posted about being single and she responded in a flirty manner, so seems pretty innocent.

I believe she's posted recently about being single. The thing with Enes might have ended. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

If you want an announcer who used to be a Wrestler but they got injured and their career was cut short, you've got Excalibur, you've got Taz, you've got Joey Matthews. None of them treated a career ending injury like it was an Asshole Licence. Corey Graves does.

At one time I felt very sorry for Corey Graves, he seemed like he had a promising career ahead of him and while I don't think he would have set the world on fire, he seemed quite competent. However, now he ranks among the people that I would like to show the one move that I can still do proficiently at age 62, which is kick people in the head with my right leg*. Yeah, with bad knees and all that I'm pretty much a one-trick pony these days, but it IS an effective trick if it connects.

*34 year-old nephew and I were fooling around and he bet me that I couldn't kick that high. After I helped him up he paid me the twenty dollars that he foolishly bet against me. Like I said, I am old and can really only do one move effectively at long range, but I do it pretty well. (He said it was like getting hit with a baseball bat.) Our respective wives then told us to get back in the house and cut the shit...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll never understand why Triple H and Kevin Nash both shaved their glorious hair, but HBK clung to that mess on his head for at least a decade too long. 

--------

I think it goes without saying in the real world if you subtweeted criticism of a co-worker and that person and/or your company found out, you'd definitely find yourself in an HR meeting at best. But, hey, we all know WWE don't give a fuck unless mainstream media or a sponsor hammers them for it (not even then if it involves money from a certain oil rich regime in the Middle East.)

Oh, and also, I had to Google Tim Sylvia after trying for several minutes to figure out what wrestling company he won a title for and why he thought people would know him. Once I did, I realized "oh yeah, I kinda remember that dude exists"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think deep down the WWE would prefer if Mauro just quit at this point. They don’t seem to care for him, and looking at the responses here, the fans don’t either.

I personally think Mauro just isn’t suited for the WWE. I’ve heard enough of him on fight sports commentary to know how good he can be. How loose he can be. How natural his chemistry is with his co-commentators can be like. I was going to say “Well maybe that’s because wrestling is a different animal”, but then I think back to him working on New Japan’s AXS show, and remember that he had that same kind of talent he’d bring to a boxing, or MMA event for New Japan. So I’m of the opinion that both parties should separate permanently for the sake Mauro’s mental state. It’ll sting a lot for him, because of his fandom for the company, but they are honestly holding him back.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think deep down the WWE would prefer if Mauro just quit at this point. They don’t seem to care for him, and looking at the responses here, the fans don’t either.

Once again, you can't take people's opinions about Mauro on here and think that's how all fans think. Mauro is overwhelmingly loved by most fans and wrestlers. DVDVR is the smallest of sample sizes.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, AxB said:

At the show I was at in Friday, A-Kid managed to make himself the biggest heel in the building through the simple medium of entrance music. We're all standing there, waiting for him to come out, and then we hear it, booming over the PA system:

"Cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort" BOOOOOOOOooooooo!

Did the face come out to this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, caley said:

When WWE randomly took Tom Phillips off TV, I wondered if he was being held as a back-up in case the strain of weekly live WWE (and presumably eventually travel) was too much for Renallo.  

I know only five people watch it, but isn’t Tom Phillips commentating NXT UK?

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure why NXT UK exists. It was created as counter programming to World of Sport 2019 (which was basically dead on arrival anyway), didn't get a UK tv deal at launch and became a WWE Network exclusive, and still is. BT Sport's 2020 WWE deal is just for RAW and Smackdown. And most UK fans (of UK wrestling, which is the minority of UK fans) would rather see, say, Walter vs Devlin in OTT or Progress than in NXT UK (unless it's on a Takeover).

Kind of feels more like WWE's UK investment is more to do with a power play to strangle the life out of the UK indies, than it is to actually have an arm of the company that generates profit.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reported in the overnight but Mauro is expected to miss the NXT show tonight

(I hate bringing this back up since I so wanna ship Big Dave and Dana but here we are)

Graves is in Pittsburgh with his kids having Thanksgiving at his parent's today which is why he hasn't tweeted any responses today.  Crazy Mauro would miss a ppv and a live show though over that tweet.  I feel there has to be more to it. 

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Kind of feels more like WWE's UK investment is more to do with a power play to strangle the life out of the UK indies

I mean, yeah. That was always fairly obvious, wasn't it? I think NXT (US) originally existed for that reason, which is why you had WWE go on a talent hoarding spree starting a few years ago. It only officially became a proper brand when some indie guys/New Japan guys (+ Cody) decided to open their own promotion instead of bolster NXT.

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Graves is in Pittsburgh with his kids having Thanksgiving at his parent's today which is why he hasn't tweeted any responses today.  Crazy Mauro would miss a ppv and a live show though over that tweet.  I feel there has to be more to it. 

Graves "apologized" today on that stupid podcast WWE has him hosting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I mean, yeah. That was always fairly obvious, wasn't it? I think NXT (US) originally existed for that reason, which is why you had WWE go on a talent hoarding spree starting a few years ago. It only officially became a proper brand when some indie guys/New Japan guys (+ Cody) decided to open their own promotion instead of bolster NXT.

Graves "apologized" today on that stupid podcast WWE has him hosting.

it was forced