DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

19 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, it wouldn't need to be that far- if they really wanted their release and to strike a blow for the workers' rights, the better option would be to challenge the independent contractor system:

"Oh, you think I'm an independent contractor but make us work like a regular employee to save money? Great.

An independent contractor can legally enter a contract to work with any employers they want and are not beholden to one company.

With that in mind, I've entered a legal agreement to wrestle at AEW/NJPW/Impact's next PPV event. As an independent contractor, I can legally do this. Now, either release me (in which case I've got my first non-WWE date lined up beforehand), or declare me an employee and subject to all employee benefits (in which case, I can no longer legally work this date and I'll happily cancel.)"

I doubt it's that simple. I imagine the contracts are pretty airtight and say something along the lines of "I understand that I am an independent contractor and not an employee, however I agree to enter an exclusive contract with WWE and agree not to work for any other company within the period of the contract unless authorized by WWE"

Genuine question because I don't know... how do other companies like AEW and TNA do it? Are the wrestlers employees or contractors? And how did it work historically in the territories? Did the Mcmahons come up with this? Are there equivalents outside of wrestling?

• Like 1

Yeah, I like @SorceressKnight's point there, but you know WWE would sic McDevitt on the wrestler and the company, and I don't know if either would want a long, drawn-out, financially-draining series of court cases. 

But unionization? You can do that from within the company. Not that it doesn't come without its own set of complications! 

Either way, I wish these wrestlers would do something other than asking for a release on Twitter. They have options here. 

4 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Re watched 2 shows this morning, IWA King of the Death Match 2003 and Chikara King of Trios 2011 (Night 1).

Regardless of anyone’s opinion on death match wrestling, or Ian, or IWA, that show is stacked.  Probably the peak of that style of wrestling.  The crowd is hot, with the CZWFans having travelled down for the show.  That ring though, yeesh, literally every match was a Staph Infection death match.  Also has the sickest bump on the whole show is Mickie Knuckles being power bombed onto the upright chair.

Hailey was very uncomfortable doing that spot and told Ian she didn't want to do it, but he insisted. The result was...yeah...yeesh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swiftian said:

I doubt it's that simple. I imagine the contracts are pretty airtight and say something along the lines of "I understand that I am an independent contractor and not an employee, however I agree to enter an exclusive contract with WWE and agree not to work for any other company within the period of the contract unless authorized by WWE"

Genuine question because I don't know... how do other companies like AEW and TNA do it? Are the wrestlers employees or contractors? And how did it work historically in the territories? Did the Mcmahons come up with this? Are there equivalents outside of wrestling?

UFC does the same thing.

If you go to the Sports section of theguardian.com, and you see an article about David wrestling Goliath with a picture of Colin Kaepernick in the thumbnail, click on it. Read it. It's only a tiny bit about Kaepernick, and almost all about Professional Wrestling. Not often you get Wrestling coverage in the broadsheets.

Edit: link https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/nov/24/david-starr-wrestling

Edited by AxB

BTW, last night during the Sportsnet broadcast of the Vegas Golden Knights and Edmonton Oilers, they had Renee Young do commentary for a bit (It pretty much sounded like her wrestling commentary lots of 'OH!'s and "The Knights are about to...oh never mind".  She said it was much harder than calling wrestling, then invited the announcers to come call Royal Rumble which got former NHL fighter Louie DeBrusk very excited.

3 hours ago, caley said:

BTW, last night during the Sportsnet broadcast of the Vegas Golden Knights and Edmonton Oilers, they had Renee Young do commentary for a bit (It pretty much sounded like her wrestling commentary lots of 'OH!'s and "The Knights are about to...oh never mind".  She said it was much harder than calling wrestling, then invited the announcers to come call Royal Rumble which got former NHL fighter Louie DeBrusk very excited.

It’s been 25 years, we need a new Art Donovan wrestling renaissance.

• Like 3

so how many married couples are in different feds these days?

Darby Allin and Priscilla Kelly (AEW/MLW)

Nick Aldis and Mickie James (Powerrr/WWE)

Shawn Spears and Peyton Royce (AEW/WWE)

Jon Moxley and Renee Kelly (AEW/WWE)

Adam Cole and Britt Baker aren't married at the moment though

Also, Darby and Priscilla look like a couple that met each other through MySpace

So I haven't seen this mentioned yet (but it easily could have been posted in like 3 other threads that I missed)

Mauro Ranallo was supposed to work Survivor Series last night but Corey Graves had put up a passive aggressive tweet (that is still up as of around like midnight) shitting on Mauro. (It was something like you would never know there is a Hall of Famer and former ROH Champion calling this show).

Mauro became furious and left the building.

The WWE claimed "Mauro lost his voice"

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So I haven't seen this mentioned yet (but it easily could have been posted in like 3 other threads that I missed)

Mauro Ranallo was supposed to work Survivor Series last night but Corey Graves had put up a passive aggressive tweet (that is still up as of around like midnight) shitting on Mauro. (It was something like you would never know there is a Hall of Famer and former ROH Champion calling this show).

I was just coming to ask about that.  Honestly, from the little bit I got from Meltzer's site, I couldn't tell if he got angry and walked out, or it touched off some sort of depressive episode.  Probably the former as Triple H claimed earlier in the day that Mauro was still expected to work the PPV.

Supposedly, Mauro deleted his Twitter account over the weekend.

Honestly, he seems a little too thin-skinned to work around Vince and co.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hope the stupid fuck has a run in with Frank Shamrock. I'd start a gofundme to pay for Frank's legal defense after he gave Graves the ass kicking he deserves.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Whodathunkit said:

I was just coming to ask about that.  Honestly, from the little bit I got from Meltzer's site, I couldn't tell if he got angry and walked out, or it touched off some sort of depressive episode.  Probably the former as Triple H claimed earlier in the day that Mauro was still expected to work the PPV.

Supposedly, Mauro deleted his Twitter account over the weekend.

Honestly, he seems a little too thin-skinned to work around Vince and co.

"Thin skinned"??? He has a severe mental illness, so please don't be THAT guy OK?

• Thanks 13

Just now, sabremike said:

"Thin skinned"??? He has a severe mental illness, so please don't be THAT guy OK?

I'm not that guy.  I'm aware of his mental illness.  I somehow doubt WWE's the right environment for those sorts of issues.  Lol, Vince thinks getting a cold is a sign of weakness.  I kinda doubt Vince's attitudes towards mental illness are all that forward-thinking.

Also, the way the incident was covered by Meltzer yesterday made it sound more like Corey posted a kinda mean tweet and Mauro got pissy about it.  Maybe there's more to it than that, but I didn't think Grave's tweet was all that vicious (I'm assuming there was only the one tweet).

It is just a weird balancing act with wrestling fans.  Most people can generally agree that Mauro is becoming almost unbearable at times at commentary.  I mean he squeezed 2 cultural references in the first minute of the show after the intro video.  But it is also tempered by the fact that Graves has become a pompous ass with either an ego completely out of control or a heel character that he has no concept of how to do.

It is rather ironic that the person who whined about people voicing their issues about the Saudi plane ride from hell on social media voiced his issue with Mauro AS THE SHOW IS GOING ON.   

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1