DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Only the promotions that the WWE approves of aka basically the like 3 like EVOLVE and PROGRESS

That being said, ACH posted a pic on Instagram of him signing a document. WON says it was a "legal document" but no one has confirmed anything beyond that but everyone is assuming it was his WWE release

I think on some level ACH really wants to find himself in a court room with Vince McMahon at the other desk. Even though he can't afford a lawyer as good as Jerry McDevitt*.

* I never thought of this, but he and Finn Balor might be distant cousins.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:52 AM, Craig H said:

Yeah, I felt the same way. I watched some of Raw and I was like, the fuck is everyone fighting for? It was the shittiest "brawl" I think I've seen in a long while. Either that, or I've been spoiled by AEW and Impact. Who gives a shit about brand supremacy when every year we're immediately told it doesn't matter. Bryan's right. Last year it was supposed to matter that SD lost all of their matches on the main card and the next night and on Tuesday they simply moved on.

Dave of course tried to explain or defend this shit. Once again another example of why I don't want to hear a word about how biased Dave is towards AEW and how much he hates WWE when he constantly makes excuses for WWE until he's backed into a corner and only then he's like, "I guess it's just bad then."

If we have to do this brand supremacy bullshit, then it should have been WWE vs NXT, not the three shows against each other. Raw and Smackdown band together because they are tired of hearing how much better these assholes on the developmental brand blow them out of the water, and NXT wants to show that they are more then just the C show. We are the A show, we are the main roster now. You don’t like it? FIGHT.

Is it perfect? Hell no. But at least there would be some reason, even if it’s a flimsy one, why these guys are fighting. And since we have to do qualifying matches for everything these days, you could do worse then Raw and Smackdown guys vying for the right to compete on a combined team to take on NXT.

But all of this only works if we keep the t-shirts. The t-shirts are the most important thing 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

If we have to do this brand supremacy bullshit, then it should have been WWE vs NXT, not the three shows against each other. Raw and Smackdown band together because they are tired of hearing how much better these assholes on the developmental brand blow them out of the water, and NXT wants to show that they are more then just the C show. We are the A show, we are the main roster now. You don’t like it? FIGHT.

Is it perfect? Hell no. But at least there would be some reason, even if it’s a flimsy one, why these guys are fighting. And since we have to do qualifying matches for everything these days, you could do worse then Raw and Smackdown guys vying for the right to compete on a combined team to take on NXT.

But all of this only works if we keep the t-shirts. The t-shirts are the most important thing 

i think one thing that's bothered me every time the do a draft or warring Brands storyline is how nobody is ever upset. to make up an example, say Kofi gets drafted from Raw to SD! and he's super happy about it and immediately sports the Blue shirt and now will fight on their side. i know loyalty in pro wrestling is ridiculous, but come on! nobody switches sides that completely and suddenly.  i want to see people fighting to stay on their brand because it's the "A" show, or because they think they'll get more title matches championship opportunities or because they want Mondays off. something other than "i'm super excited to be on [insert brand] because it's the best!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i think one thing that's bothered me every time the do a draft or warring Brands storyline is how nobody is ever upset. to make up an example, say Kofi gets drafted from Raw to SD! and he's super happy about it and immediately sports the Blue shirt and now will fight on their side. i know loyalty in pro wrestling is ridiculous, but come on! nobody switches sides that completely and suddenly.  i want to see people fighting to stay on their brand because it's the "A" show, or because they think they'll get more title matches championship opportunities or because they want Mondays off. something other than "i'm super excited to be on [insert brand] because it's the best!"

Based on this, I really hope Kevin Owens turns and re-joins NXT and the TUE stuff was just a red herring. I mean, TUE didn't even put in that much of a beat down and it's not like HHH joined in on the beating.

If I'm fantasy booking it, the best ending I could think of is KO turns on Raw, re-joins NXT, NXT wins, everyone is celebrating, Cole is out there too, Cole thinks KO is an ally, and then KO grabs Cole, gives him an apron powerbomb when everyone is walking up the ramp, and that leads into a Cole vs KO program.

In that scenario I could see KO eventually beating Cole for the title because HHH or whoever is booking NXT doesn't seem like they're ready to pull the trigger on Priest, Lee, Riddle, Dunne, or Ciampa and Balor has other stuff going on. May as well have KO and Ciampa vs TUE and run with that for awhile.

I make a quick chart for anybody wanting a week by week of the whole AEW/NXT thing

p9hE5e0.png

2.3M viewers on October 2nd. 1.8M last night. Last night may have had second most combined viewers of a Wednesday night over the AEW Dynamite run. The sequence has been: 2.3, 1.808, 1.73, 1.66, 1.34, 1.635, 1.71, and 1.809.

Although I believe the official line from some accounts is that the only reason NXT won is because Mr. Burns recruited baseball all-stars to beat the Shelbyville plant team in a softball game and old people gave NXT the win over the slightly less old AEW fanbase.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WWE has confirmed that ACH (Jordan Myles) is no longer under contract

No further details regarding the conditions of his release.

Since he was able to take dates immediately, they clearly waived the 90 day no compete (or again is looking for a court battle)

Most likely - there was a condition he couldn't go to AEW for a certain period of time. (Oh and that he couldn't talk badly about the company anymore)

• Like 1

@Cobra Commander I said in the AEW thread that the fact that the combined Wednesday viewership is higher than some 3rd hours of Raw hopefully bodes well for the sustainability of great midweek wrestling (or speaks to the shocking recent Raw viewer retention, YMMV), albeit there is some hotshotting on the NXT side.

On another note, this week’s best wrestler reaction is a hotly run contest between Peyton Royce’s roar and ‘hang loose’ at Joes entrance, and Jungle Boy covering his eyes in horror as Orange Cassidy winds up to decapitate Billy Gunn with a brutal kick. I’m an unashamed fan of the IIconics act, and Jungle Boy is so entertaining with his non-wrestling body language.

• Like 4

IIRC, didn't the weekly TNA PPVs start on Wednesdays? aside from that, Wednesday is sorta lagging the other nights of the week for wrestling shows, so there may be a little bit of a market there.

But some of the reactions to the rating almost amount to "NXT only did so well because they produced something people wanted to watch". NXT was gonna have ratings struggles if they were seen as the #3 show. So it's not really underhanded to give people a reason to watch the shows as long as you're not pulling bait-n-switches. Of course, the PPV on Sunday could undercut a bit of this.

I'd think the hope is that NXT is at least in the 800s in January (the December ratings are really only the first 3 weeks, and then Christmas/New Years are gonna be wild cards). Something where hopefully people who came over to NXT stick around. Honestly, the Survivor Series-infused NXT ratings have made me think that NXT doesn't necessarily need to push things back to 8-10 Central (9-11 Eastern) to get an unopposed hour every week. Moving the start time to 9pm Eastern might be a slight logistical problem at Full Sail too.

It's still going to be a challenge for the WWE to have 3 weekly shows that all get good ratings due to the burnout from 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown, and the whole history of WWE fans not really watching 3 shows aside from Heat getting good ratings during a red hot period of business.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not gonna lie, but I half expected this to be a video of Elias saying he asked for his release.

Asking for your release in a song would be pretty creative. That kind of creativity would deserve a push.

Glad to hear ACH is free from WWE. I figured they were going to pay him to sit home just to keep him away from other promotions, mainly AEW.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Not to derail things but figured I'd post this here instead of the ROH thread.

So as stated in the LoC section we're moving from Baltimore to Harford County.  It's kind of bittersweet but we're looking forward to it.  But between the legal shit and the packing it was a ton more stressful then we anticipated.  But settlement's tomorrow and we finally got all the BS done with so tonight was a big ol' sigh of relief.  Instead of just chilling at home we decided to go to Jimmy's Seafood one more time (at least for quite awhile)

We get there and are just chilling out with drinks when the owner comes around.  He's a homophobic asshat and I couldn't care less about him, but we had pleasant small talk anyway since "Fuck it, we're leaving anyway!"  At the end he points out Marty Scurll's at the a table by the door.

Sure enough we look over and it's him, Josh Woods, Matt Taven and Vinny Marsagelia (sp?)  The other three are nice to see but my wife just was beside herself over the fact Marty was there for...reasons.   And I had quite a bit of man-crush for Marty but seeing him in person only intensified that (no shame here, folks, he is quite lovely in person)

Anyway, we finish up and are on our way out and with a bit of trepidation we say hi to them and they couldn't have been nicer.  They were filming stuff for ROH TV and Final Battle and had to stop by at Jimmys because it's "Good shit, pal!" We chatted for a bit and wished them the best and left on quite the emotional high.

Long story short moving is stressful and scary at points.  But if our last night in Baltimore was being in the same room as Marty and others (and meeting them on our way out) then we're leaving on one helluva high note.  And if Marty does indeed go to AEW then it was delightful meeting him before he moves on.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 18

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So as stated in the LoC section we're moving from Baltimore to Harford County.  It's kind of bittersweet but we're looking forward to it.  But between the legal shit and the packing it was a ton more stressful then we anticipated.  But settlement's tomorrow and we finally got all the BS done with so tonight was a big ol' sigh of relief.  Instead of just chilling at home we decided to go to Jimmy's Seafood one more time (at least for quite awhile)

We get there and are just chilling out with drinks when the owner comes around.  He's a homophobic asshat and I couldn't care less about him, but we had pleasant small talk anyway since "Fuck it, we're leaving anyway!"  At the end he points out Marty Scurll's at the a table by the door.

Sure enough we look over and it's him, Josh Woods, Matt Taven and Vinny Marsagelia (sp?)  The other three are nice to see but my wife just was beside over the fact Marty was there for...reasons.   And I had quite a bit of man-crush for Marty but seeing him in person only intensified that (no shame here, folks, he is quite lovely in person)

Anyway, we finish up and are on our way out and with a bit of trepidation we say hi to them and they couldn't have been nicer.  They were filming stuff for ROH TV and Final Battle and had to stop by at Jimmys because it's "Good shit, pal!" We chatted for a bit and wished them the best and left on quite the emotional high.

Long story short moving is stressful and scary at points.  But if our last night in Baltimore was being in the same room as Marty and others (and meeting them on our way out) then we're leaving on one helluva high note.  And if Marty does indeed go to AEW then it was delightful meeting him before he moves on.

Awesome story! Meeting Marty must have been really cool. I don't know if I would have been able to contain myself and not show him at least one of my plague doctor cosplay pictures. Very happy for you, my brother from another mother.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Awesome story! Meeting Marty must have been really cool. I don't know if would have been able to contain myself and not show him at least one of my plague doctor cosplay pictures. Very happy for you, my brother from another mother.

Thank you kindly, sir!  Yeah, it was very awesome and it was kind of fun doing our best not to be "THAT guy/girl" just staring.  Thankfully they had the first Royal Rumble playing on the Network and NFL so we kept ourselves busy enough.  But after meeting them we were giggling like motherfuckers and in awe at our wonderful luck being there when when they were of all nights.  Great times, man, great times.

EDIT:  I did try a plague doctor cosplay for last year's Halloween but didn't like how it turned out.  And considering all that I saved to the phone it would have been a nightmare trying to pull that up.  Hopefully I can pull off a better one so I can tweet that to him next year.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sure enough we look over and it's him, Josh Woods, Matt Taven and Vinny Marsagelia (sp?)  The other three are nice to see but my wife just was beside over the fact Marty was there for...reasons.   And I had quite a bit of man-crush for Marty but seeing him in person only intensified that (no shame here, folks, he is quite lovely in person)

Great story, my friend. Nice one meeting them and I remember you getting a high five from Becky Lynch. Best wishes with the move.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Asking for your release in a song would be pretty creative. That kind of creativity would deserve a push.

Glad to hear ACH is free from WWE. I figured they were going to pay him to sit home just to keep him away from other promotions, mainly AEW.

We're going to get this next year from Joe Hendry and ROH.  Even odds.

I really hope John Woods ends up with Suzuki-Gun/Sabre-Gun next year- he's gonna be too good for ROH soon.

Edited by alstein

Really loved that story about Marty and co, got me thinking again how it'd be so nice if maybe for a month - next one, perhaps? - people could focus on what they love about wrestling and not shit on others' opinions. 

Yeah, that'd be swell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1