DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

7 hours ago, Zartan said:

Fuck Randy Orton. 

Someone name me one thing Randy Orton has done that’s significant in like almost 20 years of a career now besides being able to generate a temporary mass cure for insomnia every time he appears on TV.

Randy Orton's feud with Mick Foley in 2003-2004.

Randy Orton vs. Edge on the post Backlash 2007 RAW. 

Orton's selling Sweet Chin Music in the lead to his match with Shawn Michaels at the 2007 Survivor Series.

Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton Street Fight on RAW, June 2013.

Randy Orton vs. Christian series in 2011. 

Dropping the World Heavyweight Championship to Mark Henry at Night of Champions 2011.

And this beauty versus David Otunga... 

QI4KQ.gif

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Yes. That one exactly! It was my birthday present that year ?

All of the other Tapings with LOD/Warrior vs Demos had a Hogan/Tugboat vs Earthquake/Bravo instead. That's the only one with both the six man and a singles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

That would be Vangellys, who I am watching right now on CMLL, and yeah, he apparently collects Nazi stuff. There's some people into that thing despite the reality that the Nazis would have murdered them and their families. There's a few other Mexico gimmick names which are in that vicinity.

The Wikipedia entry says this:

"In 2001 Vangelis was given a new ring character, that of a Nazi soldier, complete with swastika armband and the Nazi salute that naturally made him a rudo, a heel or bad guy character. Vangelis formed a group known as Los Warriors along with Kevin (a sailor), Brandon (an Aztec warrior) and Uri (a viking) although Uri only worked with the group for a few months"

For the record, Vangellys wore a subtle only slightly Nazi-looking hat to the ring tonight

If we're talking about racist/poor taste gimmicks, anybody have any of backstory behind the Killer Khan's "Black KKK" gimmick he had in AJPW around 84/85? I've asked in the pure folder and didn't get much...hoping a bit more eyes in this thread might provide more context on the gimmick.

Holy fuck I've been tired of Dave/Bryan's commentary lately but this RAW review is fucking great...  hilarious.  I'm dying.    Bryan asked the best question in a long time.   

"Why is everybody fighting?" 

And it went on from there with a hilarious back and forth between the two.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Holy fuck I've been tired of Dave/Bryan's commentary lately but this RAW review is fucking great...  hilarious.  I'm dying.    Bryan asked the best question in a long time.   

Shirts!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Orton's stuff with Christian was almost always great, even if they did that same dumb finish all the time.

Nah, they did a brilliant switch up where they set up the "Christian turning crossbody into RKO" finish and then Christian head faked and, iirc, Orton went splat.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

That would be Vangellys, who I am watching right now on CMLL, and yeah, he apparently collects Nazi stuff. There's some people into that thing despite the reality that the Nazis would have murdered them and their families. There's a few other Mexico gimmick names which are in that vicinity.

The Wikipedia entry says this:

"In 2001 Vangelis was given a new ring character, that of a Nazi soldier, complete with swastika armband and the Nazi salute that naturally made him a rudo, a heel or bad guy character. Vangelis formed a group known as Los Warriors along with Kevin (a sailor), Brandon (an Aztec warrior) and Uri (a viking) although Uri only worked with the group for a few months"

For the record, Vangellys wore a subtle only slightly Nazi-looking hat to the ring tonight

Thank you, simply for the Information, but also very much for helping me putting my uneasy mind in regards to whether I overinterprete stuff or not to rest.

And while I never get racism in first place, it gets even more absurd when the reasoning is "This dude would have killed my parents or grandparents, but he also hates Jews/Communists/Homosexuals, so I kind of like his concepts!"

That being said, as somebody who does know very little about Lucha, there is always the chance, outside of the memoribilia collecting, that it is first and foremost a gimmick á la Fritz von Erich or Baron von Raschke, I'd assume. 

Edited by ReiseReise

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah, I felt the same way. I watched some of Raw and I was like, the fuck is everyone fighting for? It was the shittiest "brawl" I think I've seen in a long while. Either that, or I've been spoiled by AEW and Impact. Who gives a shit about brand supremacy when every year we're immediately told it doesn't matter. Bryan's right. Last year it was supposed to matter that SD lost all of their matches on the main card and the next night and on Tuesday they simply moved on.

Dave of course tried to explain or defend this shit. Once again another example of why I don't want to hear a word about how biased Dave is towards AEW and how much he hates WWE when he constantly makes excuses for WWE until he's backed into a corner and only then he's like, "I guess it's just bad then."

• Like 2

Not sure it gets mentioned enough, and related to the Observer Raw review, but I pretty much exclusively follow Raw through Pollock and Wai at Post Wrestling. This six-month run of John Pollock deadpan reading all the Raw promos from the guys in "the room" one of the funnier things and has basically forever made Aleister Black uncool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Not sure it gets mentioned enough, and related to the Observer Raw review, but I pretty much exclusively follow Raw through Pollock and Wai at Post Wrestling. This six-month run of John Pollock deadpan reading all the Raw promos from the guys in "the room" one of the funnier things and has basically forever made Aleister Black uncool. 

I haven't heard that but, like you, I only know about current WWE via podcasts (Observer/F4W site) and every time I hear "knock on my door" I think of the lyrics to the theme from Three's Company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't give them creative ideas.

"Someone call John Ritter, I have a great angle idea! What do you mean he died? I just saw him on Three's Company!" - Vince

Edited by Ryan
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Questions to anybody who attended a WWF marathon taping back in the day. How was it like? Did they used to front load them, or did they have one competitive match an hour to keep interest? How did they get people to stay? Did they promise a big time match for the end of the tapings?

I never got to go to one back in the day but this week's Between The Sheets podcast covers a week in 1988 where Meltzer went to two nights of WWF TV tapings in Northern California and recaps every single match/segment and it sounds like a slog. 

• Like 2

Back in 86, I attended the WWF Superstars house show tapings where Piper came back and destroyed The Flower Shop and holy fuck it was insufferable.  The main event of The Machines vs The Heenan Family was not nearly enough to make up for sitting through 16 jobber squashes with LONG delays in between.  The only other non jobber match was The Bulldogs vs Valentine & Beefcake, which ended in 5 minutes with a fuck finish.

4 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I never got to go to one back in the day but this week's Between The Sheets podcast covers a week in 1988 where Meltzer went to two nights of WWF TV tapings in Northern California and recaps every single match/segment and it sounds like a slog. 

I was in my hunting stand all day so I listened to the whole thing. It was like 32 matches plus a dark main event on a school night with the matches in random order in front of a bunch of casual fans. It sounded brutal. 

Although I used to go to the Hamburg TV tapings back in the day and it was like 4 hours with everybody wrestling multiple times, including squash matches. I'm guessing my buddy's dad who took us got tired of it but I was a kid and I do not remember ever being bored. 

• Like 1