DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

He went super-violent, faked a psych diagnosis to explain it, and punted a ton of dudes in the head. That was awesome. 

But yo, fuck that dude, seriously. 

Fuck that fake diagnosis shit though, because for months after that I had to screen out people who were seeking disability by way of a psych diagnosis who were claiming "intermittent explosive disorder" as the reason why they weren't able to work and therefore needed a check.

I would reply, "You mean, like Randy Orton?"

"Yeah!"  100% of the time.

And I get that was Creative.  But still, fuck Randy Orton.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

He also has the only finisher in WWE that somehow stays over even when every match degenerates into finisher spam.

Even more impressive when you see his finisher spammed in every other match on the card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

Even more impressive when you see his finisher spammed in every other match on the card.

Even more when you see his finisher spammed in every match on OTHER promotions cards.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nate said:

Fuck that fake diagnosis shit though, because for months after that I had to screen out people who were seeking disability by way of a psych diagnosis who were claiming "intermittent explosive disorder" as the reason why they weren't able to work and therefore needed a check.

I would reply, "You mean, like Randy Orton?"

"Yeah!"  100% of the time.

And I get that was Creative.  But still, fuck Randy Orton.

So, fuck scammers, in other words.

Which includes Randy Orton, actually, considering his social media AEW flirt-fest that he embarked upon in order to get a better contract. 

I guess it all comes back to "fuck Randy Orton" when you really come down to it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Haha 1

Foley/Orton was a tremendous feud in 03/04.

I really enjoyed AJ/Orton at Mania, had really good psychology and pacing behind it. Rather than guys spamming shit in, it was a match built around each guy avoiding the other's big moves and building up that suspense to one of them finally hitting it.

Orton put Mark Henry over in a huge way during the Hall of Pain run.

The Taker feud was mostly stupid outside the ring but delivered in-ring...and probably gave Taker HIV.

Survivor Series 03 was probably the best Survivor Series team match ever?

.....that was tough to compile

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Which includes Randy Orton, actually, considering his social media AEW flirt-fest that he embarked upon in order to get a better contract. 

Boo to that. I'm for everyone bleeding every single red cent they possibly can out of their employer. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I guess it all comes back to "fuck Randy Orton" when you really come down to it. 

I thought AEW driving up everyone's contracts was supposed to be a good thing.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Boo to that. I'm for everyone bleeding every single red cent they possibly can out of their employer. 

Me too, normally, but you know, I make an exception for Fuck Randy Orton.

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I thought AEW driving up everyone's contracts was supposed to be a good thing.

Please see the "Fuck Randy Orton" corollary.

(Though actually, people signing five-year deals for bank with WWE and then whining about wanting to get out of them six months in is lame and the worst, though generally, I'm glad that workers can secure better financial terms from their employers.)

While the Wyatt stuff ended badly, that PPV match with Orton and Harper was aces. 

As a matter of fact, Orton is such a consistent performer that he's generally producing stuff that's at least good. It's just unfortunate that it feels like he's been around forever in a system that sucks the fun out of everything. Compound that with the highest profile stuff he's done the last couple years being rehashes of feuds from ten years ago (Hardy, Kofi), and you've got a a problem. At least we'll be getting him vs Ricochet in the near future. 

And even though those were decade old feuds, they still had their bright spots.

maxresdefault.jpg

All of this said, that Mania match against Cena he's campaigning for definitely shouldn't happen. That well is still dry. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sure, he's a scummy dude. But the guy he's playing hardball with is Vince McMahon. I think that evens things out. 

Wouldn't it be better if they could both lose, though?

Now Mike Bennett and Maria Kanellis scamming VKM? That's hilarious!

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So then you have to include Jericho under this same umbrella as -while it wasn't social media- he used dirt sheets (Got his friend to email one of the wrestling sites) to let McMahon know he'd "been seen" meeting with Dixie Carter.

So, while there are a lot of reasons to dislike Randy Orton, him using AEW to get himself a better deal is not one of them.  It's just smart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

Ok you got me on this one. 

So almost 20 years and I’ve gotten all these answers to account for MAYBE one years worth of good shit if I’m being generous. 

The cutter list goes like this- 

1. DDP

2. Kanyon

3. Orton

He is the poster boy for riding a last name of someone that came before him that was infinitely better. If WCW worked as hard at making Erik Watts a star I’m sure after 20 years we’d be able to piece together more then just a decent year. 

C'mon, he's way better than fucking Erik Watts.  Leave this place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caley said:

So then you have to include Jericho under this same umbrella as -while it wasn't social media- he used dirt sheets (Got his friend to email one of the wrestling sites) to let McMahon know he'd "been seen" meeting with Dixie Carter.

So, while there are a lot of reasons to dislike Randy Orton, him using AEW to get himself a better deal is not one of them.  It's just smart.

Hey, folks, I'm just saying Fuck Randy Orton. I don't really give a shit about workers getting better deals for themselves by working promoters. 

So, well, you know. FRKO. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Okay, The Natural. 

I'm not that nice. 

So thank you?

(This is what comes from talking about Randy Orton for longer than a single post.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Log said:

It’s weird to think that there is probably a person who lives on Earth right now who has Natalia as their favorite wrestler. That person could’ve chosen any of the wrestlers in existence at any point in time, and they chose Natalia. 

To be fair, someone had Melina vs. Alicia Fox as their favorite match ever.  <Someone find that Austin GIF>

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Questions to anybody who attended a WWF marathon taping back in the day. How was it like? Did they used to front load them, or did they have one competitive match an hour to keep interest? How did they get people to stay? Did they promise a big time match for the end of the tapings?

Oh, man. My pops would probably get PTSD if he read that post. I'm indebted to him forever for dragging me to those things as a kid.

From what I remember, basically they would trot out 4-5 squashes then throw in a competitive match. Rinse and repeat for 4 hours. Some of the jobbers would wrestle 3-4 times a night. There would be a Main Event at the end of the night for people to stay but it wasn't always the biggest draws as some of them would get the hell out of town halfway through the taping.

• Like 2