DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

When we were compiling the list of everyone who wanted out of WWE this year, we all forgot Goldust. Who along with Shawn Spears are the only ones where WWE could have made them stay, but didn't.

From a hurting AEW perspective, they probably (with hindsight) wish they had hung on to Dustin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

When we were compiling the list of everyone who wanted out of WWE this year, we all forgot Goldust. Who along with Shawn Spears are the only ones where WWE could have made them stay, but didn't.

From a hurting AEW perspective, they probably (with hindsight) wish they had hung on to Dustin. 

I’d say Cody/Dustin was THE match that needed to happen to cement AEW as an alternative wrestling product, but I also imagine his abilities as a coach and agent will be invaluable. Definitely a boon to AEW.

• Like 3

The Fangoria article David J. Schow wrote about Brandon (they had plans to go rock climbing together) is one of the saddest things I've ever read. Which reminds me, I have several autographed books of his that I bought direct after contacting him on Facebook, which I'm sure you Crow fanboys would drool over. He did a hell of a job with that screenplay. It's a shame that the work he did on those Texas Chainsaw sequels was ruined. 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Following the announcement of the prime-time dream series of Holzhauer vs Jennings vs Rutter, Jeopardy James took to Twitter with wrestling memes.

Read the thread. He cut the whole promo and it's fantastic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Why? They weren't going to use him, he mentioned several times he pitched ideas to them. He has had a stronger ring run in WWE in the past decade than his earlier runs as Goldust. The guys is my far a better worker than any of the guys from prime era. These legends they bring to Saudi and WM matches can't touch Dustin in the ring. It's like Finlay before he when back to be solely an agent. He was over 50 but he was still better than % 95 of the industry and just as believable.

• Like 2

I’d think Dustin is also a unique case, given how long he was a good soldier for Vince and the personal connection with Cody. 

I could see them letting veterans go (someone like Truth) and opposed to young guys who have never done anything for the company.. 

• Like 1

Fucking wrestling bubble...Stan Hansen doesn't even know how to do the scissors in rock/paper/scissors.

Does Stan Hansen speak Japanese? He's been there for 40 odd years and works in the All Japan office, so it seems like he would have picked up a lot of it. Unless I missed it, he doesn't appear to say anything in Japanese, but he does seem to understand what everyone is saying to him.

As for the seconds, who's the dude in the army shirt rocking the brylcreem?

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile in Mexico, more fun from years ago:

That police Uniform looks an awful lot like a Nazi-Uniform, although this may be my German-school-System history lessons pulling mind tricks on me. 

Doesn't Stan Hansen have a Japanese wife? I seem to recall this being mentioned during that Network Show with JBL. She was not big and fat, and they didn't have nine kids. 

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Shayna Baszler's held the NXT Women's Championship for over a year, October 2018 to present day in her second reign.

I was thinking about wrestlers who have held a WWE Title for a year and over since Randy Savage's first time as WWE Champion in March 1988-April 1989.

I've come up with:

Diesel Nov 94 - Nov 95.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elizium said:

Fucking wrestling bubble...Stan Hansen doesn't even know how to do the scissors in rock/paper/scissors.

Does Stan Hansen speak Japanese? He's been there for 40 odd years and works in the All Japan office, so it seems like he would have picked up a lot of it. Unless I missed it, he doesn't appear to say anything in Japanese, but he does seem to understand what everyone is saying to him.

Even weirder when you realise his wife is Japanese and he lived there full time for a few years.

I don't think Hansen understood the concept and Chosu tricked him into doing the wrong pose for scissors. Oh Riki, always trying to get any little advantage...

4 hours ago, elizium said:

I believe that that's Masakatsu Funaki in the army shirt.

You can live in Japan and not be able to speak all that much if you have people around you who can speak enough English to help you get by, Unless he has to say take out a loan and fill out the application form by himself he could probably survive. I would recommend people coming to live in Japan to learn the language though. Besides, it doesn't really fit the character if he came in speaking Japanese.

Anyway, that clip was the final. Before that Choshu took on Shiro Koshinaka:

And then Akira Maeda (!):

And finally Hansen:

Japanese entertainers of a certain age are big fans of 80s wrestling.

Edited by lostinube
  • Like 2