DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

CM Punk's Pro Wrestling Tees page has apparently been shut down. Should make for some fun speculation about the sweet WWE royalty checks he's about to be cashing. 

Oh I never bought the “I’m only working for FOX” narrative that he loves to bring up in interviews. I mean if they want people to take Backstage seriously, they have to appear independent, so I understand that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

The best thing about this CM Punk announcement is that for six(?) years smarks have been chanting CM Punk on TV and now he's back they're calling him a sellout.

Maybe those people are not the same people? There are the smarks that chant CM Punk and the smarks that call him a sellout within a larger group of smarks who have diverse opinions on a number of wrestling-related topics. 

...I'm giving too much credit to smarks, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He was only being chanted for as a rallying call for the disenfranchised, now he's gone corporate, um, for the 14th year in a row or so, so he has to be called a sell-out!

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

CM Punk's Pro Wrestling Tees page has apparently been shut down. Should make for some fun speculation about the sweet WWE royalty checks he's about to be cashing. 

Well, around a month or two ago he pulled all of his shirts off of the page and then all of that was replaced with a shirt that said "CM PUNK SUCKS." I don't think any of that has to do with Punk signing with Fox or anything, I think it probably has more to do with Punk being Punk and then when he caught wind of the CM Punk Sucks shirt, he pulled his page down entirely.

Who knows what it means, but Oney's Twitter is back and he's back to going by BIFF MOTHERFUCKIN' BUSICK. THROW IT UP!

EDIT: On another note, god, I would love to go to a Pennywise concert with Biff.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, around a month or two ago he pulled all of his shirts off of the page and then all of that was replaced with a shirt that said "CM PUNK SUCKS." I don't think any of that has to do with Punk signing with Fox or anything, I think it probably has more to do with Punk being Punk and then when he caught wind of the CM Punk Sucks shirt, he pulled his page down entirely.

Wait I thought wrestlers basically decided what merch was sold on their page? 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Maybe those people are not the same people? There are the smarks that chant CM Punk and the smarks that call him a sellout within a larger group of smarks who have diverse opinions on a number of wrestling-related topics. 

...I'm giving too much credit to smarks, huh?

I thought the Punk chants was more an act of defiance and shit on something that sucks rather than actually wanting Punk to come back. Not saying people didn't want him back but after about 6 months after he left, I dont think anyone espected him to return any time soon, Eveb before the Colt Podcast.

• Like 3

I honestly thought even after the AEW stuff that Punk coming back was only ever going to happen in WWE. He still has a mythical aura about WWE in his mind that goes past his gripes expressed in the Cabana podcast. If he was ever going to go back to wrestling, I think for him ending on a better note for his legacy with WWE was the thing he wanted, but that's 110% conjecture on my part. I've never seen the dude wrestle live even though I've been watching him since 2013. (Don't attend too many wrestling shows as it's a bit of a slog from SE Alabama to anything decent and he worked house shows here when I was on a bit of a hiatus). I'll probably look at Mania tickets after the first of the year though since I have a strong suspicion he'll be somewhere on that card if wrestling is in his future.

I've seen Punk wrestle live more times than I can count or remember, but I think my favorite match he was in that I saw live was the Second City Saints vs the Briscoes for the ROH Tag Team Championships at ROH Reborn Stage 2. I think I was in the 3rd or 4th row and the crowd was electric. We blew the roof off of that place when they won.

If I hadn't been 6 or 7 hours away on vacation when Money in the Bank 2011 went down then I would have been there for that and that would have been at the top of my list.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I only saw Punk live once, but it was against The Undertaker at WrestleMania and it was fucking great.

Only time I've ever felt like the dueling chants were completely real.

Did you go to ROH Reborn Stage 1? I thought he had a match there. Or maybe I'm thinking of Samoa Joe. It's been too long and I don't even know if my ROH DVDs work anymore.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Did you go to ROH Reborn Stage 1? I thought he had a match there. Or maybe I'm thinking of Samoa Joe. It's been too long and I don't even know if my ROH DVDs work anymore.

He wrestled Danielson at Reborn Stage 1 with Steamboat as ref, were as Joe wrestled Homicide in the fireball match.

No, I did not have to look that up. 2004 RoH is just permanently in my head. I could probably name 5 matches off any show from that year save maybe the first 2.

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

He wrestled Danielson at Reborn Stage 1 with Steamboat as ref, were as Joe wrestled Homicide in the fireball match.

No, I did not have to look that up. 2004 RoH is just permanently in my head. I could probably name 5 matches off any show from that year save maybe the first 2.

God...Detroit got a WAY way better match with Samoa Joe then. I can't remember who Joe wrestled at Stage 2, but he had hair that made him look like Ray Zalinsky in Tommy Boy. And now you mentioning the fireball match makes me remember Joe's head being patched up for his match at Stage 2.

Man, those were good times.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

God...Detroit got a WAY way better match with Samoa Joe then. I can't remember who Joe wrestled at Stage 2, but he had hair that made him look like Ray Zalinsky in Tommy Boy. And now you mentioning the fireball match makes me remember Joe's head being patched up for his match at Stage 2.

Man, those were good times.

Wasn’t Detroit, was Minnesota. That was the first RoH double shot and it was Minnesota to Chicago, which was then switched to Dayton to Chicago for at least a year plus because the travel from Minnesota to Chicago in one night was a bastard. Also, not amazing attendance

And it was Matt Stryker on Stage 2, but they did get Danielson/Homicide and the SCS vs. Briscoes match to compensate. Also a super fun 4CS with Aries, Romero, Rave, and Nigel.

I only remember Joe vs Stryker and the main event. It's been a long ass time since I've watched that show. And I remember my friends and I showing up in a few different shots. Also, since Chappelle's Show was red hot at the time, we all kept chanting Chappelle's Show stuff and Joe responded with "is Samoa Joe gonna have to choke a bitch?"

I really should find some time and re-watch that show. It was one of the best live shows I've been to and because of time and my memory turning to shit since having a kid, I remember so little of it.

I almost went to the New York Summer of Punk shows in 05. There was some dude that was offering a travel deal for people that could make it up to New York on the ROH Forums at the time; however, it seemed sketchy and I probably had no business being 18 and trying to figure out traveling into a city as huge as NYC by myself.

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I almost went to the New York Summer of Punk shows in 05. There was some dude that was offering a travel deal for people that could make it up to New York on the ROH Forums at the time; however, it seemed sketchy and I probably had no business being 18 and trying to figure out traveling into a city as huge as NYC by myself.

lol i'll pretend u said 18

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Honestly all RoH from Reborn Stage 1 to the Death Before Dishonor weekend is worth watching, maybe even Testing the Limits depending on how “Aries vs. Danielson in a 75 minute 2/3 falls match” sounds to you. Even the weaker shows like Round Robin Challenge 3 and World Title Classic  Are just fun overall shows that fly through. 

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'll give this a go, but I'm sure my choices have changed over time. I just dug up my list from last year, and my number two has jumped to first place.

2010: Team WWE vs Team Nexus (SummerSlam)

2011: John Cena vs CM Punk (Money in the Bank)

2012: Daniel Bryan, Kane, and Ryback vs The Shield (TLC)

2013: Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins (Battleground)

2014: The Shield vs The Wyatt Family (Elimination Chamber)

2015: Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar (WrestleMania)

2016: Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles (Extreme Rules)

2017:  Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe vs Braun Strowman vs Brock Lesnar (SummerSlam)

2018: Charlotte Flair vs Ronda Rousey (Survivor Series)

2019: Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston (WrestleMania)

Most of those choices aren't set in stone. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1