DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Yup and also I mean....Dave literally likes more wrestling than anyone. Dude praises WWE, NXT, AEW, NJPW, watches lucha, loves old style, new style etc. It's like people get mad Meltzer isn't more bitter and curmudgeonly. "Fuck you for liking stuff" is such an odd take, especially with how negative most fandom is. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Oof, randomly saw his name pop on in a Twitter response to Bix I think. Some major health issues. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/you-got-to-be-kidneying-me

Jesus, that's sad. He sounds like a lot of my wife's dialysis patients so I have a good idea how painful his life is at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

822k for AEW and 813k for NXT.

AEW is up 63k. NXT is up 233k.

Excited for the possibility of comparing quarter hours to draw conclusions about what draws and what doesn’t.

I have to say, this Wednesday Night War has been incredibly fun so far.  Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses, but both shows have been very good every single week.

• Like 3

yeah, the whole "one show is in commercial while the other is in commercial" thing is either somebody not being good at counterprogramming or somebody being good at it.. from what i've seen so far, I think the NXT matches are probably better on average, but the AEW matches are longer, so it's possible to watch a match for awhile on AEW and miss multiple NXT matches live. I've sorta taken the "change the channel at a break" approach to the simultaneous programs (similar to my approach with radio presets while driving).

So this week was a good week for the stature of HHH in the future scheme of things, since his guys essentially had to step up due to certain "difficulties" on Friday and there's at least a short-term boost.

All this talk about the news sites and such just reminded me of how much more I enjoyed wrestling as a mark, and how I seriously hope there are some younger folks out there just eating it up right now with the Wednesday Night Wars with little online influence (although I fear that's virtually impossible these days).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

All this talk about the news sites and such just reminded me of how much more I enjoyed wrestling as a mark, and how I seriously hope there are some younger folks out there just eating it up right now with the Wednesday Night Wars with little online influence (although I fear that's virtually impossible these days).

I couldn't agree more.  As I grow older, I relate more and more to the character Cypher from The Matrix.  I'm not about to sell out the crew, but I swear the more I learn about just about anything I like, I the less I enjoy it.

• Like 4

I used to think like that, however I’ve found as I’ve got older I’ve less time for reading spoilers and newz and stuff so I just watch things and take them at face value.

I honestly enjoyed the last 2 years of Impact nearly every week and that was 99% spoiler free.  I’ve not read any of the NWA spoilers and that is a great show.  

If those shows had been around in 2003-04 when I was in my early 20’s I would have poured over every spoiler and would never have enjoyed them the same,  Being old and having responsibilities somehow helps in my fandom!

• Like 2

It's quite surprising him and The Godfather never showed up as B-team members at some point.

I vaguely recall that Charles Wright had some story about getting his WCW deal screwed over by someone though. EDIT: Found it - he was supposed to be Vincent, but Virgil offered to do it for a fraction of the money he'd agreed to.

Edited by RolandTHTG

The problem with journalism in general these days and Meltzer in particular is it's more opinion presented as fact rather than facts presented without bias.

He practically gave himself a Pulitzer for his reporting about Mauro Ranallo leaving WWE blaming it on JBL despite Ranallo himself saying JBL had nothing to do with it.  The stretching he did to make it sound like Ranallo was being bullied despite them bending over backwards to accommodate him.  They added Young Boy Tom to the desk to do the plugs he couldn't get through but Jerry Lawler called him good ol' M.R. so that was clearly Vince's way of calling him a mental retard on the air.  What were they implying about Jim Ross for all those years?

Whenever he corrects numbers he'll issue a correction but if he ever references it again, he'll go back to his original incorrect numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

It's quite surprising him and The Godfather never showed up as B-team members at some point.

I vaguely recall that Charles Wright had some story about getting his WCW deal screwed over by someone though. EDIT: Found it - he was supposed to be Vincent, but Virgil offered to do it for a fraction of the money he'd agreed to.

You get a fraction of the talent for a fraction of the money. Fair compromise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just think it's weird to go after Dave for getting something wrong when in 2019 there really is no such thing as "journalism" as we once knew it.  There are cable stations where I'd guess 90% of what is said is lies and bullshit?  Not an ounce of truth and people seem to be okay with it.  

Sports reporting all over is pretty bad too.  It's no longer about who broke the story,  it's about reporting whatever bullshit rumor you heard that maybe had 1% truth behind it and then repeating the rumor as fact for hours until it's proved to be BS and then move on to the next thing.