DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

16 minutes ago, Log said:

I've gone from being really excited about pro wrestling a couple weeks ago to being exhausted by it.

In 2019 it’s essential to choose wisely.  Ive chosen AEW, NJPW select matches, NXT (tho interest wains) and NWA power.  I feel no need to see anything else but a few select bouts.  

• Like 1

I've often thought it would be an interesting science experiment to take someone who is a "smark" and have that person turn off everything wrestling related except the shows for six weeks or so and see if that persons enjoyment would go up or down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

I've often thought it would be an interesting science experiment to take someone who is a "smark" and have that person turn off everything wrestling related except the shows for six weeks or so and see if that persons enjoyment would go up or down.

Do I get a daily allowance for this study?

I watched this Prince Devitt documentary from Irish telly on the YouTube, it's about him finishing his NJPW & Indies career before going to New York. Quite a lot of it was about how much Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows are going to miss him, which confused me because I thought they went with him (they followed a year later. I forgot). He said he'd had five concussions and separated his left shoulder ten times, which was a bit ominous. Also the Young Bucks were in it, but very much in a "these two other guys are also here, look they've got funny boots" way. I'd recommend people watch it, but there's these bits of an ICW show where two guys kept trying to teabag each other, and they were actually pulling their nutsacks out of their trunks and wrestling with their balls hanging out, so maybe skip that bit.

It made it look like he left the Bullet Club and it was all handshakes and tearful hugs, but I'm fairly sure they actually turned on him and gave him a massive kicking. You do get to see what the New Japan dojo looks like though. It's tiny.

• Like 1

- Starr vs Devlin lived up to the hype but holy God was that commentary bad.

- Re: Meltzer - he's pretty good at offering up corrections. A lot of guys don't. I do find it interesting that the anti-Dave movement, which was basically fermented by known bullshitters like Bischoff and Pritchard trying to make a buck off gullible people, essentially boils down to saying that anything this journalist writes is "fake news." 

I understand cognitive dissonance  is a thing but I would love to know if the people who think that the majority of what Dave writes is bullshit also believe that everything in the Times and WaPo is fake too. Or, is it this thing where the people who spend time yelling at Dave and accusing him of making shit up are gonna be outraged when Jericho's interview with Junior features a healthy amount of media bashing?

• Like 2

I have to chuckle at the frothing-at-the-mouth some do when Dave is caught reporting something that isn't entirely factual. I can't think of any news source that gets it right all the time. AFAIK, there's never been such a thing. If these people get so riled up over Dave's news, I worry about how capable they are of exercising media literacy outside of the wrestling bubble.

Now Dave's opinions are hot garbage and I hate how much sway he has as a taste-maker. But his news? It's... fine. Not exactly like we're swimming in high-quality wrestling journalism. I'll take what little we get, read it with an appropriately critical eye and take it with a reasonable portion of salt. A top-of-the-page retraction already makes him more trustworthy than most people who are covering news that actually matters. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Looking forward to the years worth of retractions we are owed from the innumerable amount of times Meltzer has been wrong and refused to take responsibility for it.

I don't mean to prolong this discussion too much, but what are some especially egregious examples of Meltzer getting things wrong without retraction?

Related since it was announced on Backstage - Tyson Fury will be appearing on this week's SDL

Fury is also teasing he wants to face Brock at Mania which... ooof....

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Dave's opinions are his opinions for a reason. Just form your own and don't try and justify any difference of views.

I'm just jealous that his opinions carry more weight than mine. If things were different, we'd live in a better world littered with more big and tall wrestlers.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wrestling related but not necessarily an easy read

Been watching Gladiators on Pluto TV. Him, Zonk, and that entire production ages like fine wine. How they were able to seamlessly transition a program that took several hours to film into something that felt like a live sporting event was incredible. Then you watch the Hogan version that doesn’t even try to hide that it was filmed months ago with its shitty over produced editing.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wrestling related but not necessarily an easy read

I click and it says the website isn't available in most EU countries. Dementia is a cruel disease, my late Nan had it. It's why I wear the blue flower pin on my coat representing the Alzheimer’s Society charity and the Marie Curie daffodil for looking after my Mum and a best friend.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1