DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

The Observer posted a retraction and apology about the Seth Rollins/talent meeting story.

I like Rollins in-ring work, but, man... I can't help but think, for some reason, that he's lying about this and just saying he didn't give a speech and there was no meeting.

7 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Because Meltzer said Seth made a speech but it was actually AJ? Wrestlers live in some kind of bubble. Good grief.

You're focusing on the wrong thing there: How does that kind of lame ass reporting get a pass in this situation? Rollins is completely in the right and how/why anyone gives a shit about what that overrated hack Meltzer has to say these days is beyond me

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I threw it on this WWE Backstage show for a minute and they have a scroll bar.  One of the categories is current champions. Everyone had something positive as a comment EXCEPT the Kabuki Warriors where it said "lost non-title match to Charlotte and Natalya on Nov. 4" 

?

n8cy5ipccu9b.gif

Edited by BurningBeard

Yeah, even as someone who always thought Seth sucked, it's easy to see why this annoyed him. You're at your coldest reaction-wise since debuting, people already talk about you on line being a big uncool corporate suck-up, and now you get an untrue report that you gave a big pro company speech (not just any speech, a badly received "rah-rah" speech that makes him sound like the head girl trying to boost up a load of sixth-formers), I can fully see why he'd be fucked off with that. People already think he's lame, he doesn't need fake fuel added to the fire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

You're focusing on the wrong thing there: How does that kind of lame ass reporting get a pass in this situation? Rollins is completely in the right and how/why anyone gives a shit about what that overrated hack Meltzer has to say these days is beyond me

Because Dave got something wrong, offered a correction and apology which is what good reporters are supposed to do.

This isn't a matter of Dave giving his opinion on what is or is not a good match or wrestler. This was reporting on an event that actually took place.

Or do you think Dave is the only reporter - wrestling or non-wrestling - that gets things wrong due to the information that is given to them?

• Like 10

Wrestlers are in this weird spot where they want to be public, big time paid performers without any of the scrutiny that comes with being a public, big time paid performer.

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Yeah, even as someone who always thought Seth sucked, it's easy to see why this annoyed him. You're at your coldest reaction-wise since debuting, people already talk about you on line being a big uncool corporate suck-up, and now you get an untrue report that you gave a big pro company speech (not just any speech, a badly received "rah-rah" speech that makes him sound like the head girl trying to boost up a load of sixth-formers), I can fully see why he'd be fucked off with that. People already think he's lame, he doesn't need fake fuel added to the fire.

So instead of coming out and refuting it professionally, he tweets and sounds like the head girl trying to boost up a load of sixth-formers(I'm guessing this is a foreign english word I'm not aware of but I get the point).

Rollins knows his current run is falling apart fast and the only rallying point he has left is to stir up all the anti Meltzer types.

• Like 3

A reporter issued a "front page" correction. That's quite rare. He could have just said nothing and moved on like a lot of sites that just post BS all the time do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Or do you think Dave is the only reporter - wrestling or non-wrestling - that gets things wrong due to the information that is given to them?

Give over. How can you get the 'who is giving the speech' part of the story wrong unless you're being fed shitty information? I could forgive him for misreporting what was actually said but that's just poor form on all points.

It's like me attending a press launch and reporting on what the head of PR at Ford UK said only to then submit my story attributing everything said to the Chairman of Ford Global... Oh no, it's not, because I would have actually been there to report firsthand.

Edited by BurningBeard

If you invest yourself in reading wrestling insider news you have to be prepared for a second hand story to be inaccurate.  It’s like questioning the validity of the national enquirer?  That said, what’s the beef?  That he didn’t deliver a speech or that it wasn’t ra ra?  Ha, wha, who cares!?  Either which way sounds like Rollins remains true to his character.  And probably a nice bump for Meltzer.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Because Dave got something wrong, offered a correction and apology which is what good reporters are supposed to do.

This isn't a matter of Dave giving his opinion on what is or is not a good match or wrestler. This was reporting on an event that actually took place.

I had a response typed out for this predicting what their response would be, which was basically that nothing would be good enough and heels would be dug in.

And then I scrolled down and saw that was exactly the case.

• Like 2

When it comes to Dave and Journalism. Treat his wrestling stuff with a critical eye and most of his real sports reporting as what it is. Especially, if it was for a paper or website with oversight and editors.

I'd like to put out a retraction of my own.  I said I'm fully on board the "Fuck Seth Rollins" train after reading about his ra-ra speech.  Since that didn't happen then I retract my previous statement and deem it not the reason to jump on the train.

But then I read his asinine tweets about it and the cake on this train is pretty nice so that keeps me on the train anyway.  *toot toot*

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

46 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'd like to put out a retraction of my own.  I said I'm fully on board the "Fuck Seth Rollins" train after reading about his ra-ra speech.  Since that didn't happen then I retract my previous statement and deem it not the reason to jump on the train.

But then I read his asinine tweets about it and the cake on this train is pretty nice so that keeps me on the train anyway.  *toot toot*

Well played.

• Thanks 1

Since we are talking about wrestling journalists

It was during this segment they announced Orton's extension.

They also confirmed Alexa's injury. They are saying "minor undisclosed injury"

Meanwhile - I am now convinced they hired him solely so they could make the Satin Sheet pun

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Seth Rollins, Peyton Royce, Al Snow, Kevin Nash, Brother Love, and Karate Eric Bischoff vs Dave Meltzer, The Young Bucks, The Tokyo Dome, Bryan Alvarez, and Jim Ross. Winner gets all the stars.

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, OctopusCinema said:

Seth Rollins, Peyton Royce, Al Snow, Kevin Nash, 3 Time Karate Hall Of Famer Brother Love, and Karate Eric Bischoff vs Dave Meltzer, The Young Bucks, The Tokyo Dome, Bryan Alvarez, and Jim Ross. Winner gets all the stars.

FTFY

• Thanks 1