DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

I love Corny's stories about his experiences in the biz. His deep dives on JCP, SMW, and OVW are absolutely fascinating and a treasure trove on the inner workings and business while he worked/owned/booked those companies. And I give little credence to his opinions on today's product, whether it's a work or his actual views. That being said, this latest uproar about what he said is fucking bullshit. I'm as liberal and openminded and "woke" as they come, and my eyes figuratively rolled out of my head when I read about the whole "snowflakes reacting to the he should be taken and hung in the parking lot" fiasco. Some people need to get a life.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

I love Corny's stories about his experiences in the biz. His deep dives on JCP, SMW, and OVW are absolutely fascinating and a treasure trove on the inner workings and business while he worked/owned/booked those companies. And I give little credence to his opinions on today's product, whether it's a work or his actual views. That being said, this latest uproar about what he said is fucking bullshit. I'm as liberal and openminded and "woke" as they come, and my eyes figuratively rolled out of my head when I read about the whole "snowflakes reacting to the he should be taken and hung in the parking lot" fiasco. Some people need to get a life.

This.

Edited by Edwin

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So who did Corny tell to go jump off a bridge? 

About two or three years ago, he said Jim Smallman of Progress Wrestling should be strung up in the parking lot for compering a show while dressed like a slob. Which wasn't very nice, but Jim laughed it off and named a show Old Man Yells At Cloud, about two or three years ago. Apparently someone on Twitter has reheated the controversy and tried to pass it off as Cornette saying Smallman should hang himself, in the hope that the NWA would fire him, I guess.

3 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

About two or three years ago, he said Jim Smallman of Progress Wrestling should be strung up in the parking lot for compering a show while dressed like a slob. Which wasn't very nice, but Jim laughed it off and named a show Old Man Yells At Cloud, about two or three years ago. Apparently someone on Twitter has reheated the controversy and tried to pass it off as Cornette saying Smallman should hang himself, in the hope that the NWA would fire him, I guess.

Maybe you aren't explaining it very well, but it sounds like instead of Cornette saying Smallman should hang himself... instead he just said Smallman should be hung in the parking lot. Not that much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Maybe you aren't explaining it very well, but it sounds like instead of Cornette saying Smallman should hang himself... instead he just said Smallman should be hung in the parking lot. Not that much better.

Yeah, it's not at all better really, but if people are going to try and get him sacked they could at least have the integrity to do so on the basis of the actual words he used. And I say this as much more of a Smallman fan than a Cornette fan. Jim is usually more of a dick than he needs to be with his various flare ups, but he does also speak sense about some things, and of all the pieces of shit in wrestling, I don't think he deserves the hate campaigns he attracts.

32 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Yeah, it's not at all better really, but if people are going to try and get him sacked they could at least have the integrity to do so on the basis of the actual words he used. And I say this as much more of a Smallman fan than a Cornette fan. Jim is usually more of a dick than he needs to be with his various flare ups, but he does also speak sense about some things, and of all the pieces of shit in wrestling, I don't think he deserves the hate campaigns he attracts.

Ah, well, Jim's selling himself and his product as he is and he's sharp enough to know that he's going to get some shit for it.  He seems to thrive off it.  That's what you get when you rant and rave as he does.  That said, I agree, absolutely no reason to be fired, and he won't be.   

2 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ah, well, Jim's selling himself and his product as he is and he's sharp enough to know that he's going to get some shit for it.  He seems to thrive off it.  That's what you get when you rant and rave as he does.  That said, I agree, absolutely no reason to be fired, and he won't be.   

Just want to say I agree with both of you.

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wasn't. Please tell me. 

If I recall correctly, it started with Brian Last asking if anybody heard rumors about a Marko Stunt injury in a match with Joey Janela, and ended with a challenge to a Last/Janela fight that wasn't quite agreed upon due to a disagreement over camera crews (LOL at the concept of a guy who has problems releasing podcasts on time having a camera crew handling anything).

Cornette invites this sort of heat because he wants to court controversy to stay relevant. This is what he is willing to risk by doing so.

It's a big shrug from me. Don't say dumb shit for shock value if you want to lower your chance of getting brigaded for saying dumb shit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

If I recall correctly, it started with Brian Last asking if anybody heard rumors about a Marko Stunt injury in a match with Joey Janela, and ended with a challenge to a Last/Janela fight that wasn't quite agreed upon due to a disagreement over camera crews (LOL at the concept of a guy who has problems releasing podcasts on time having a camera crew handling anything).

Oh Lord... ?

I don't listen to the podcast in it's entirety, but do you have a timestamp for this?

Edit: Never mind. It was a Twitter exchange. Yeah, that was sad.

Edited by Edwin

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

scary thing is... Cornette's not actually the worst part of his podcast either (some of you who were using Twitter on Friday night might catch what i'm referring to)

You must not have heard the pod when Alice was the co host. 

brian is leaps and bounds better. He also does a good job fact checking for Fuller’s pod. 

• Like 1

Not sure what's more bizarre for the upcoming WM weekend Bloodsport card -- Janela saying he would fly to California to train with Josh Barnett and challenging Enzo to a shoot fight or Killer Kross challenging Batista to a match.