DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, HumanChessgame said:

I watch GCW and CZW semi-regularly and can dig a good deathmatch. I take it this was actually decent and not the sanitized WWE Hardcore title sort?

There are certain things in the match that I've never seen WWE use in a hardcore/no DQ/whatever match (that I can recall). The big reveal towards the end of the match... yeah, definitely not. Only ever seen that in places like FMW or Big Japan. CZW probably did it back in the day (or still does, I don't know).

Surprisingly not that much blood, though. Which was kind of disappointing.

• Like 2

It was definitely not the sanitized WWE Hardcore title sort.  Given that the match was in Maryland I was stunned how much pull AEW got on it.

That match was a middle finger to the Hell in a Cell match.  I am sure it wasn't their intention but you know Omega wanted to prove to people that he isn't afraid to take the chance

Now the biggest problem is what do they do with Moxley after this.  He has to be put in serious "technical" matches like in New Japan.  as we have seen from the booking, the "hardcore guys" like Janela and Darby Allin seem to be stuck in the role of making others look good when they are beating the shit out of each other.  Moxley luckily has that WWE pedigree where that will never happen to him

Edited by hammerva

The thing with the MJF turn: it opens up huge matches between Jericho and Mox, Omega ect. while giving Cody a huge feud/grudge match. Also had another interesting thought: Omega could tell Mox you beat me in an ultraviolent streetfight, but you can't beat me in a straight wrestling match that counts.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

We enjoyed the PPV tremendously. Only boring match was Janela and Spears. 

Page v. PAC was really good. Page is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and him and PAC work together so well. 

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know this'll be debated and debated, but we pretty much all knew what the destination would be with this relationship. Why drag our feet? 

BTW, calling it now: Cody only goes back on his word and puts himself in a title match long down the road when MJF is champion. 

When your commentators are openly predicting a MJF heel turn, it's stupid to pretend that it isn't happening.  I feel they were better off saving it though.  The heel turn would have been better for Wednesday.  

This whole "Cody can't ever challenge for the championship again!" and fantasy angling to get out of it is the dumbest fucking thing.  I'm from the world where Randy Savage lost a retirement match at WM7 and was the champion at WM8.  Or Vince being forced off TV for losing a match.  And was back months later. Those are the obvious.  Stipulations don't mean shit.  It's been that way since day one.

The ending was telegraphed immediately the second they referred to MJF as Cody's "cornerman" so that killed a lot of the unpredictability factor for the match for me. Still a great, great title match. But I do hate the MJF turn happening as I just enjoyed him more in the pseudo babyface role. I figured they'd hold off on that until The Match Beyond. Not a fan of Cody never being able to challenge for the title again, considering very few are on his level right now.

Omega/Moxley was a blast to see how crazy it was gonna get. Guessing Moxley will end up the next title challenger.

Really loved Riho/Sakura. The pin reversals sequence they do is so great and I dug that as a call back to Wednesday, then the actual finish was beautiful. Riho is amazing, becoming more and more a fan every time. Sakura being in this spot was pretty cool, glad for her to enjoy the moment. Super fun match overall.

Tag titles match was good, though Daniels dressing as Pentagon seemed rather a random thing to do. Not a Spears fan at all but the match felt like one you'd see on a late 90s WCW PPV between two random midcarders, and I did pop for the Spike Piledriver finish - that was cool. Great tag opener and Page/Pac was very good as well. Thought Britt/Bea on the preshow was fairly solid also. Good show overall with everything getting a lot of time to play out. 

• Like 3

@hammerva I definitely see what you were saying earlier about the reaction to that match. People on Reddit are saying AEW lost a fan because of that match (lolwut) and I guess whoever did the Observer's coverage of the show thought it was excessive or whatever.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to digest everything from this show.

I was surprised with the MJF turn. I figured it would come after Cody won the title and MJF grows incresingly jealous. I was really enjoying MJF being the Luger to Cody's Sting.

I loved Moxley vs. Omega. There were some moments when I sat with my mouth wide up. The mousetraps, glass, and barbed wire spider web were three of those moments. 

Why the fuck did Shawn Spears need to go over? Joey Janela needed that win. Janela has a lot more upside than Shawn Spears.

I'm going to watch the replay to let everything really sink in.

• Like 6

And if it's a choice between guys getting cut with barbed wire or taking dangerous neck/head bumps I'm going with the barbed wire. Cuts heal, broken necks or brain injuries not as much.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

though Daniels dressing as Pentagon seemed rather a random thing to do.

Why? Pentagon injured Daniels, which is why Scorpio Sky is the tag team champion with Kazarian, and not Daniels.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Why? Pentagon injured Daniels, which is why Scorpio Sky is the tag team champion with Kazarian, and not Daniels.

right I just mean the dressing up part, like it wasn't a 'shocking reveal' like when Jericho did it last year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

@hammerva I definitely see what you were saying earlier about the reaction to that match. People on Reddit are saying AEW lost a fan because of that match (lolwut) and I guess whoever did the Observer's coverage of the show thought it was excessive or whatever.

I mean I get Alvarez shitting on it because well it is Bryan Alvarez.   But listening to PWI shit on the match is funny to me because I am not sure if anyone has told them yet that Backlund lost the title to the Iron Shiek in 1983.   

I was somewhat joking when I tweeted it but the people crying about the match obviously never watched Crockett TV from 1985 - 1987.  Granted those matches weren't weapons heavy but still shit it was a bloodbath almost every night

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

After the hot opener and a really good PAC-Page match, that second hour dragged. Thank goodness the last two matches delivered. Cody's on a different level right now. 

I’m with you. Headlining matches delivered, and PAC Vs. Page was very good. Actually that match made me realize how similar PAC’s viciousness is to Chris Benoit’s. He just needs to ratchet up the intensity. His deliberate slow pace is admirable, but he needs to crowd please more in matches.

The rest of the matches needed more build than just #1 contenders matches.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m with you. Headlining matches delivered, and PAC Vs. Page was very good. Actually that match made me realize how similar PAC’s viciousness is to Chris Benoit’s. He just needs to ratchet up the intensity. His deliberate slow pace is admirable, but he needs to crowd please more in matches.

Fuck that. He’s perfect. Surprised you’re just catching the Benoit comparison now. The body types and intensity invite it, regardless of how much PAC flips.

But yeah, everything should be shorter. You cut the middle matches, you have a legit great 2.5 hour show. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

On the other parts of the show:

1.  I don't get why Daniels saved his friends dressed as Pentagon with awful face paint

2.  I really hope that the fan that showered MJF at the end of the show with a beer wasn't a plant because that visual could be used for months to build up this feud.   If you are going to put MJF in a major feud even though he is still pretty damn green wrestling wise, Cody is the perfect person to his opponent.

3.  Did Cody actually blade or did he actually think that diving head first into the ramp (WCW ramp everyone ? ) was the best way to get blood

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Everything else was good.  I'm not underwhelmed it was a great show but I have to say the Baltimore crowd was not that great. It was probably the weakest AEW crowd they've had unfortunately. 

I was so pleased how the DC crowd wasn't a bunch of fat mark ass cracks, people with incredibly regional dialects doing their own rudimentary play-by-play, and a cornucopia of weird but definitely human smells. Don't know why I thought I'd get that lucky twice.

Good show, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

2.  I really hope that the fan that showered MJF at the end of the show with a beer wasn't a plant because that visual could be used for months to build up this feud.   If you are going to put MJF in a major feud even though he is still pretty damn green wrestling wise, Cody is the perfect person to his opponent.

Wrestling Twitter says he was kicked out of the arena after that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Did Cody actually blade or did he actually think that diving head first into the ramp (WCW ramp everyone ? ) was the best way to get blood

I have no fucking clue, but honestly that cut looked like something you’d see in a boxing fight. Usually blade cuts are straight, but this one was curved. 

I want to know how Nick Jackson did the kick into the corner. I didn’t see padding, and that shit looked full force.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs