DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I watched Onita vs. Hayabusa exploding barbed wire cage match last night for ...  reasons I don't know I got stuck in a rabbit hole.  Anyway,  whenever they rammed each other into the barbed wire there would be blood all over them.  That did not happen with the barbed wire spider web.  

I believe the bat and broom were real barbed wire but I think somehow the spider web was gimmicked in a way that it wasn't going to cut them up too bad.  

Also,  it's days later and everyone is still discussing this match.   When's the last time that happened in WWE?  in a positive or divisive sense? Not often.. 

Dave and Bryan, among other esteemed writers, keep saying that Omega and Mox were covered in blood after the barbed wire bat and broom stuff. 

For starters, Dustin in the Cody/Dustin match was covered in blood. Omega and Mox barely bled and when they did it quickly stopped.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, Craig H said:

I made the mistake and listened to the rest of WOR over the weekend. Bryan and Dave are beyond infuriating. I think the thing that bugged me the most was the two of them talking about how company's that build themselves around matches like this aren't successful.

IT WAS ONE MATCH. Also, the show and promotion aren't built around matches like Omega vs Moxley. They're both fucking dumb.

Listening to them is infuriating. AEW isn't building their promotion around this type of match. And I recall WCW wasn't afraid of doing crazy violent gimmick matches fairly regularly throughout the late 80s and early 90s. 

Not trying to be an asshole but Meltzer can barely string together a coherent thought at this point. What he should do is like get a good night's rest before he does these recaps. Maybe that would help. Not to mention he goes on these weird tangents like when he's upset about Baron Corbin mentioning Reigns' leukemia and he takes umbrage with how other athletes have come back from the same thing in just weeks or never missed a game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, both clearly were because again, it would be a pool of blood from all of the shards of glass, not to mention pulling both guys out of a real barbed wire spider web thing would be a nightmare. You'd have to cut the wire to get them out.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3

I definitely think the glass was fake but want to believe the spider web was real (or at least a WWE-style bend-job like Foley's wire bats); they constructed that thing pretty sturdy so maybe they didn't have to cut them out a la the Circus Death Match in old BJW. I'd rather have had thumbtacks instead of the glass but the glass was a throwback to the table DDT so it kinda had to be there.

I would have preferred thumb tacks too, but I've seen that more than a few times so when the glass came out it was a real holy shit moment. Even the first couple moves onto the glass I'm sitting there saying WTF! It wasn't until no one was bleeding from the glass that I started feeling ok about things.

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

FWIW Dave said he re-watched Full Gear and cited a reason that he would make irrelevant. He basically said that he'll go back and re-watch smaller or indy shows or something like that if he watched a better quality show first. In this case it was the NJPW show in San Jose. He then said that doesn't really apply in this case because AEW isn't like what he described. So anyway...

I thought that San Jose show was really solid Road To NJPW show that mostly did stuff that Dave likes, had hot crowd and he was in attendance as well. I think he even got mad that literally not every single person in attendance stood up for Liger's farewell. I think it is safe to say that he was really into it. So I wouldn't be surprised if he went home after that show, started watching Full Gear and at some point said fuck this.

And I'm not trying to spin this as some "NJPW house shows are better than AEW's PPVs" narrative, but I think that it is reasonable that you might end up enjoying show that you attended more than something on replay (that had some audio issues with crowd reactions) that also ends up doing big match that you don't like on principle.

• Like 2

• Dolfan in NYC unpinned, unfeatured, locked and unlocked this topic

Page and PAC had an awesome match with no bells and whistles. Really enjoyable. The anticipated counter to the takes forever to set up Buckshot is getting old though.

Enjoyed Moxley and Omega more than I expected.

The Daniels reveal made no sense. "I'm going to dress up as my hated rival and sit around and wait for after the match to make my big return but only if my guys win and these guys beat them down after the fact"

Would have preferred the MJF turn happened on Dynamite instead but Happy to see where it goes though.

23 hours ago, tbarrie said:

That reminds me - somebody needs to teach Excalibur how to pronounce "Le Champion" vs "Les Champions", because he was saying the latter all night, and it was pretty annoying.

Absolutely, but I'd really like it if Excalibur didn't say either.  It takes away from Jericho's arrogant self aggrandizing.    

18 hours ago, Archibald said:

And I'm not trying to spin this as some "NJPW house shows are better than AEW's PPVs" narrative, but I think that it is reasonable that you might end up enjoying show that you attended more than something on replay (that had some audio issues with crowd reactions) that also ends up doing big match that you don't like on principle.

Not really disagreeing with anything you're saying, but AEW's shows all feel exciting and important.  Post-G1 NJPW has had some moments, but overall feels kinda stale or monotonous.  Their house shows in particular feel completely pointless.  Live exercises.  Whomever is saying a NJPW house show is better than an AEW PPV - I don't know where you're coming from but to each their own.  Also, there is something about these international shows for New Japan that just doesn't feel right.  Other than Suzuki-Okada, I had such a tough time getting thru that UK show, and there were other meaningful matches on that card.  The NYC show I watched was meh, and had really weak production.  Also, it feels like when they're in the US or UK they try to work in more traditional American style elements, and it comes off kinda lame in comparison to the more natural Japan shows.  AEW obviously runs a lot less shows, but there hasn't been a single show that hasn't been exciting going in and met or nearly met any of my high expectations.  I'm a NJPW World subscriber, but thinking about taking a break until the Kingdom show.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

On 11/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, Craig H said:

Dave and Bryan, among other esteemed writers, keep saying that Omega and Mox were covered in blood after the barbed wire bat and broom stuff. 

For starters, Dustin in the Cody/Dustin match was covered in blood. Omega and Mox barely bled and when they did it quickly stopped.

Mox and Omega suffered hardway cuts that quickly stopped. Dustin gigged deeply and hit an artery. Big difference. AEW is going to be a little more giving but they have sponsors and rules. They are not intentionally going to have a total bloodbath.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:22 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm pretty sure the barb wire on the bat and broom was real (they didn't bleed badly, but you saw the blood instantly after impact) but the glass and the spider web both definitely looked worked.

To me a big problem with the match was that the early spots were using real stuff while the supposed big spots at the ending (minus exposed ring) were very obviously gimmicked, i.e. you somehow had an inversion of escalation of violence. Of course, it did not help either, that Cody suffered a nasty hardway cut plus the beltshots, that made him look worse-off than the two guys in the ultraviolence hardcore match.

And please get rid of Earl Hebner. The only thing, he should still do for AEW is teaching Aubrey Edwards how to get the maximum out of the "ref throwing out heel manager" spot. Or was that Tim White, who was the king of that spot?