Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Dolfan in NYC

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Recommended Posts

Riho/Emi was as good as I expected. Can’t wait until the eventual Riho/Kong collision. It has all of the potential in the world to be great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 1:21 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Referee Rick Knox needs to be publicly reprimanded for not allowing that tag from Ortiz's boot to Santana's hand.  WTF!?  

I don't recall ever seeing a ref allow the foot tag.

Pretty sure I saw the exact same spot recently on a NJPW show so, when it happened at Full Gear, I immediately went "you can't allow that".

#I'mWithKnox

Edited by Paco
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, I seem to remember various times throughout this company's short history where tags were made to backs and shoulders etc.  I don't quite get the logic how a tag to your partner's foot wouldn't be valid.  #ImWithJR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paco said:

I don't recall ever seeing a ref allow the foot tag.

Pretty sure I saw the exact same spot recently on an NJPW show so, when it happened at Full Gear, I immediately went "you can't allow that".

#I'mWithKnox

Bad enough with all the backslaps and what not. 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only notice things like this because professional wrestling's most notorious WUM makes a habit of blowing a use whenever he sees it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cody/Jericho rewatch: I liked this match on first view, but second view it feels like a near masterpiece.  MJF needs a bodyguard like Ace Orton immediately.  Hammerstone would more than due.  

Thinking on this stip: I thought it was gonna be harder for Cody to get back in the title picture than it is.  I mean without a blatant or lame renege  Simple enough, the current champion some time down the road sees Cody as a proving ground to defeat.  Any number of reasons why that could be.    

Also, the crowd seemed much more alive, and louder, watching the replay with headphones.  First time around I watched it on my television thru a soundbar and it seemed really dead.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

What is the consensus on Cody's cut? As someone mentioned, it wasn't your typical blade job looking cut. But then Dave is attributing the bruises from the belt whipping to that ramp spot. Man, Dave and Bryan seem out of it in this review. 

 

I think it was a hardway cut.

The moral panic over the match is hilarious. WWE has basically been spamming gimmick matches for years and themed entire events around gimmick matches with Hell in a Cell and TLC in the TV PG era. And yet the TV PG era has made these matches all very toothless. Think about it. We see a Hell in a Cell basically end in a No Contest because Seth Rollins was using too many weapons after Bray Wyatt used a giant mallet in the match already. A freaking Hell in a Cell match where years ago they let the match keep going after Mick Foley was thrown off the top and through the top oc the cage. 

Yeah I highly doubt those TLC matches in WWE are that much safer. They built up Omega and Moxley having this violent contest. And let's not pretend these matches haven't been a staple of mainstream pro wrestling for decades because they have.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Did you go with PlayStation store? 

Sorry! Yes! I'll do this instead of BR Live everytime. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Natural said:

 

Some of the most laughable comments I've ever heard from those two, and they've gotten pretty outlandish over the last year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Cody/Jericho rewatch: I liked this match on first view, but second view it feels like a near masterpiece.  MJF needs a bodyguard like Ace Orton immediately.  Hammerstone would more than due.  

Wardlow should be his bodyguard, if they go that route. But one top heel already has a heater, I'm not sure their #2 heel needs one as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a match recently between Naito/Ibushi, not the one @ MSG which I attended I believe it was after that where these guys were KILLING each other dropping one another on their head and neck and shit and to be fair to Bryan he did say it was excessive but Dave made every excuse in the book for it and went on to give it a high rating despite showing some concern for their well being.  

The Lights Out Match between Mox and Kenny was safer than Naito/Ibushi.   Dave also gave Shibata/Okada like 5 stars despite Shibata nearly dying in the ring.  

For the record,  I liked all of these matches mentioned it's just another case of Dave and the Observer board stooges' hypocrisy.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wardlow should be his bodyguard, if they go that route. But one top heel already has a heater, I'm not sure their #2 heel needs one as well.

For that reason I'd say Wardlow would be too similar to Jericho's Hager.  Ace Orton was more of a second in command than simply a 'bodyguard'.  Tho, he was always referred to as such.  

@Niners Fan in CT I remember that Ibushi-Naito review a bit differently.  Dave was suggesting why they do it rather than making excuses as to why it's right.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There was a match recently between Naito/Ibushi, not the one @ MSG which I attended I believe it was after that where these guys were KILLING each other dropping one another on their head and neck and shit and to be fair to Bryan he did say it was excessive but Dave made every excuse in the book for it and went on to give it a high rating despite showing some concern for their well being.  

The Lights Out Match between Mox and Kenny was safer than Naito/Ibushi.   Dave also gave Shibata/Okada like 5 stars despite Shibata nearly dying in the ring.  

For the record,  I liked all of these matches mentioned it's just another case of Dave and the Observer board stooges' hypocrisy.  

The Naito/Ibushi match you're thinking of was at Dominion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Kenny Omega is everything Seth Rollins thinks he is.  I'm embarrassed that there are wrestling fans in this world that think Seth can tie Kenny's boots. 

I gotta be honest, I think they're the same guy in the ring. They do shit to do it, often at high speed. 

The difference is that outside of the ring, Omega is a nerd and knows and embraces it. He seems like a genuinely nice dude, too. Rollins is Geek of all Geeks, but isn't self-aware enough to see that and instead thinks he's cool. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I gotta be honest, I think they're the same guy in the ring. They do shit to do it, often at high speed. 

The difference is that outside of the ring, Omega is a nerd and knows and embraces it. He seems like a genuinely nice dude, too. Rollins is Geek of all Geeks, but isn't self-aware enough to see that and instead thinks he's cool. 

Seth Rollins has never shown the ability to weave an intricate, multi-layered story like Omega has on frequent occasion. Sure, Omega can have indulgent spotfests and he's excellent at those too if they're your thing but there are leagues between them when it comes to in-ring psychology. I just wish Omega were more consistent with it. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Seth Rollins has never shown the ability to weave an intricate, multi-layered story like Omega has on frequent occasion. Sure, Omega can have indulgent spotfests and he's excellent at those too if they're your thing but there are leagues between them when it comes to in-ring psychology. I just wish Omega were more consistent with it. 

I don't think I've ever enjoyed any Omega match where there's been a storytelling element, but you have good taste, so I defer to your opinion here. I could just be missing something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I gotta be honest, I think they're the same guy in the ring. They do shit to do it, often at high speed. 

I have to disagree.  Besides Omega's ability to actually tell a story on occasion he is far more athletic than Rollins and when he "does things at high speed" he is actually doing them at high speed and they are crisp.  

Rollins moves around 2 full gears below Kenny and while he has decided to use a lot of the same move set,  the moves themselves look bad when he attempts them. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have to disagree.  Besides Omega's ability to actually tell a story on occasion he is far more athletic than Rollins and when he "does things at high speed" he is actually doing them at high speed and they are crisp.  

Rollins moves around 2 full gears below Kenny and while he has decided to use a lot of the same move set,  the moves themselves look bad when he attempts them. 

I can agree with this; Omega is definitely a better athlete. I just don't rate how athletic a worker is very highly when I judge them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smelly McUgly said:

I can agree with this; Omega is definitely a better athlete. I just don't rate how athletic a worker is very highly when I judge them. 

I see what you're saying but Rollins uses many of the same moves and it's night and day between them. If it was one move it'd be less glaring but it's various moves from the strikes to the aerial and it's a big difference..   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm still reading the thread but just wanted to say we had a fucking blast last night. I know @John E. Dynamitedidn't like the Baltimore crowd which sucks. And considering how little people think about Baltimore in general it does sometimes seem like it just piles on. But I dare say this was the best time I had at the Arena. For one unlike WWE shows the people there were all super nice and apologetic if they were in your way which normally doesn't happen there. And while there was insipid commentary at times at least around me that got shot down quickly.

Do not let me be misunderstood - I am from Baltimore, and I live in Baltimore City proper because it's where I want to be. My section was what I described it as - I literally sat behind a loud fat guy who's jeans kept falling down, exposing most of his ass. Rowdy county folk, I didn't have bad words with anyone, but their rowdiness didn't translate to a better crowd sound than DC.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Naito/Ibushi match you're thinking of was at Dominion.

I found that more uncomfortable than Moxley/Omega and other matches. Made me not want to see Naito vs. Ibushi again. Less is more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Naito/Ibushi match was insane and uncomfortable.

Omega has had great storytelling matches with guys like Okada and Tana, but I'm not sure how much of that is Kenny vs the other guys. As far as all out athletic spotfests go, him and Ibushi is about as good as it gets with guys that size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few thoughts after finally watching the show last night:

- Loved the custom set, always a nice touch. The whole show just had a great presentation last night and the big ramp added to the big show feel compared to the weekly episodes.

- The opening tag was the perfect combination of a spotfest with a "great match". It really shows why these two teams are miles ahead of a team like Private Party for example.

- Adam Page is slowly but surely getting very over with the crowd. He's in a much better places as a face now than when he had the title match with Jericho and I can see the fans really backing him next time he challenges for the belt. I'm also really enjoying him lariating and big booting the shit out of people during his matches.

- There was no reason at all for that Spears match to be in this show, Dynamite would have been a much better spot for it.

- There was a funky two count during the women’s title match where the ref counted to one, stopped and then did a two count. You could see the crowd shitting in him for a bit after that.

- Main event was great but I would've taken out the mouse trap spot and prepared a bit better where the weapons were cuz it seemed like 10min of the match was just them walking around trying to find the right thing to use next. I liked that it started with a crappy trash can and it looked like it was gonna be like any "Extreme Rules" WWE match and then it suddenly ramped up the violence. Loved that they went all out with the use of barbwire instead of just teasing it and not delivering (think Ambrose vs. Lesnar at WM). And that missed Phoenix Splash into the wood looked brutal, Kenny ate shit.

Overall a great show and I love that I can watch the whole thing without fast forwarding even once which is something I can’t even do with New Japan and their infinite lower card multi man matches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Having already subscribed to FITE to watch Dynamite weekly, I bit the bullet and ordered my first ever wrestling PPV in Full Gear. Have watched all bar the Mox-Omega match and feel I got great value for money at €23. 
 

Without repeating what’s been said in the previous pages, the one small thing I noticed that bugged me was during the Spears-Joey match. How often was Earl Hebner out of position?? At least twice Joey had to shoo him away. I don’t normally notice the ref but this was glaring. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...