DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh fuck yes. That second Lion Tamer was sick and nasty and brutal.

God fucking damn that match was great, worth my 50 bucks, and makes my top 5, maybe top 3, of the year.

Cody's having a great year with the formation of AEW, Cody vs. Dustin and Cody/Jericho.

• Like 2

Cody already teased Inner Circle vs Elite War Games in his go home promo for this show, and the MJF turn gets it so Cody has to turn to his Elite bros for the assist, which he hasn't been doing as much with this Jericho thing right now, since Dustin and MJF and DDP were having his back instead.

I figure it also means that MJF might join the inner circle so Jericho could still defend his belt that night and give us a 5 on 5 War Games.

Edited by Tromatagon

It was interesting how when Cody was bleeding, they did everything they could to try and stop it, whilst Kenny & Mox bled, they did nothing (although they both stopped bleeding naturally quite quickly). But like when Impact did LAX vs OVE Barbed Wire Massacre, nobody figured that barbed wire puncture wounds actually close up pretty quickly, and if you want a pro-wrestling gushing blade job level of blood, you need to actually blade like normal.

Moxley's back after the broom tope went from him wearing the crimson... scarf to him just being sweaty so fast. He took like one bump and it wiped all the blood off.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

How is Meltzer going to sit there on his radio show and say Moxley/Omega went too far when he's been to Big Japan shows and praised them?

Did he praise the death matches or just the Strong BJ matches?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

It was interesting how when Cody was bleeding, they did everything they could to try and stop it, whilst Kenny & Mox bled, they did nothing (although they both stopped bleeding naturally quite quickly). But like when Impact did LAX vs OVE Barbed Wire Massacre, nobody figured that barbed wire puncture wounds actually close up pretty quickly, and if you want a pro-wrestling gushing blade job level of blood, you need to actually blade like normal.

Moxley's back after the broom tope went from him wearing the crimson... scarf to him just being sweaty so fast. He took like one bump and it wiped all the blood off.

Somebody once said that Japanese death match wrestlers would mix soy sauce packets with red food coloring, and that was one way they got extra juice because the hardway produced less.

I wonder when Pentagon Jr. saw himself  if he had one of those moments of existential crisis where he might be a clone of the original Pentagon Jr.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought Moxley vs Omega was fine. The one thing differently I would have done is added an angle leading up on who the referee would be. Since it was an unsanctioned match then in theory an AEW Official did not have to work it. 

It's always good to see Jericho bust out the real Lion Tamer. When he went to the WWF I just assumed he modified it into the Walls of Jericho because guys complained about the high angle and neck bridge.

• Like 2

@LoneWolf&Subs I didn't love the dress-up angle, but the character of Pentagon Jr. does seem unhinged enough to both find himself in that position and also kinda fall for it.  Prior to AEW, I'd only seen the Lucha Bros a couple times doing pretty blah MLW TV matches.  They seemed overly contrived.  Even when AEW started I was not sold.  I'm now with all of you who profess your love for these incredible performers with every show they perform on.  They're so good that it's hard to accept them in matches where they either don't win or are not beaten convincingly - like the 3 way.    

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Overall, I had another great night watching wrestling with Full Gear. The opening tag was my match of the night. I thought they would go way overboard on spots but they worked a solid tag match with great limb selling and some great double teams and it worked so well. The ending seemed a little abrupt after some of the epics with too many kickouts at 2.9999 but it got PnP over huge and served as a good change of pace. The tag title three way was okay but the loose spottiness in that is a far cry from how well Bucks/PnP put that together. Too bad it got overshadowed.

I agree on this.  LAX, as well, I'd never seen them before debuting in AEW.  They've won me over from the get-go.  Santana and Ortiz have so much potential - both as a team and down the road as singles.  They have a lot of charisma.  They're gonna have to keep giving them reasons to be hated as they are both very naturally likable.  The Countdown show sold this even more.  And lastly, I really hope this leads to either a 6 or 8 man tag with the Bucks/Rock n Rolls against the Inner Circle.  Great to see the RNRX get the deserved respect.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I thought Moxley vs Omega was fine. The one thing differently I would have done is added an angle leading up on who the referee would be. Since it was an unsanctioned match then in theory an AEW Official did not have to work it. 

It's always good to see Jericho bust out the real Lion Tamer. When he went to the WWF I just assumed he modified it into the Walls of Jericho because guys complained about the high angle and neck bridge.

In one of his books (I think, maybe it was an interview or podcast), he said that most of the WWF guys were too tall for him to do it that way, so it became easier to just do a more or less normal Boston Crab.

--------

BTW, I did it on B/R Live, and was able to watch the replay when I got home at 1:30 on my Roku, with full functionality, so I guess they've fixed the problems you guys have had in the past.

• Like 1

My Thoughts on Full Gear:

Britt vs Bea wasn’t as brutal blood feud as one would have expected but Kong’s new Outback themed gear, the knife and the lockets of hair as trophies as Voodoo Queen Brandi looks on is awesome as fuck.

The first two matches on the show knocked it out the park. Young Bucks vs Proud and Powerful holy cow that was awesome. I can’t remember who said it in this thread but this was the Young Bucks wearing their Japan boots. Straight up wrestling they couldn’t rely on Super Kicks and Suck It’s in this one. This was a rowdy ass match and I’m more than ok with this. What a way to start off the show. Santana and Ortiz this was almost a coming out party for them. Also Ricky Morton is the motherfucking man first he almost breaks his neck doing a Canadian Destroyer off the apron then at 63 years old decides to hit a suicide dive.

I was expecting PAC to win continuing his undefeated streak. I had an idea that PAC was gonna be the one to upset Jericho for the AEW Championship somewhere down the road having the title changing hands from a prick heel to an even bigger prick heel, the thought was that two heel champions getting longish runs the reaction when Hangman finally got his win over PAC and the World Championship too boot would have been bonkers.

The match was really fucking good I must admit. Bastard PAC is the best PAC he put a hurting on Page and Page kept fighting back. The Cowboy Shit tag has really caught on and Page is the up and coming fiery baby face. I was surprised by the finish but pleased. Page deserves it, looks like he’s working his way to a rematch with Jericho. I’m curious as to how they stretch it out because I don’t see it happening until the Memorial Day Weekend Show in Las Vegas as it seems along with All Out to be the Big Two shows of the year for AEW. Adam Page is gonna be a star if this match with PAC was any indication.

I don’t know if it was because I had ate two edibles by this point and they hit me at once or not but the show did seem to drag a tad from Spears vs Janela to Cody vs Jericho. 

I liked Spears vs Janela it was good, Spears got a victory, Tully was useful it looks like Spears is getting the upper mid card push we all thought he was getting in the build with Cody. Janela put up a fight and proved he can have a wrestling man while still being a wild man. I don’t know if this match needed to be on the PPV they could have ran it this week in Nashville at the start of the 2nd hour same match Same length same finish and it would have been just as effective.

A thought that popped into my head last night while watching the match was Shawn Spears might be a good fit for TV champion if they are to reveal a TV Championship. Spears and Tully stealing victories and slinking away with the title as a face is built up to take the Championship from Spears could be fun.

The Tag Team 3 Way and Women’s championship matches I think suffered from being too short and a little rushed. They were both around 13 minutes, a decent amount of time but especially the tag match felt a little restrained and a little more time and I think we could have gotten some crazier shit. Daniels return was really cool, him dressing as Penta and then revealing the Fallen Angel symbol on his face was cool as fuck. With Daniels back and it being 3 on 2 I wonder if Laredo Kid will be returning to even the odds for the Lucha Bro’s?

The women’s match was fine I don’t know if it was the edibles but what I remember most about the match is JR calling Emi Amy then saying goddammit out of frustration. I do remember the match being good and Riho being Riho.

Cody vs Jericho exceeded expectations in sense as I feared it was going to go an hour with the judges giving it to Cody but I thought 30 minutes and the finish was perfect. Cody getting color 6 minutes in (what a nasty face bump), Jericho (with help from Hager) kicking Cody’s ass for what seemed like 20 minutes, Jericho tossing Malenko’s judges sheet of the table the resulting stare down, Cody’s Mom Getting into it with Jericho at ringside saying fuck you Cody sliding out of the ring hugging her after it all, Hager getting thrown out pummeling MJF in the process, the false finishes, Cody getting stretched the fuck out and MJF throwing in the towel all made this feel like an old school wrasslin match. Bravo to Cody and Jericho for making a World Title feel important and having actual stakes again.

Im in The MJF Turn my have been too early camp. I thought maybe Page would turn but then he beat PAC so I thought that wouldn’t have made any sense. I was expecting Cody to raise MJF’s hand and they leave happily ever after. MJF kicked Cody in the dick and that crowd got pissed the fuck off. The dude who threw the beer in MJF’s face seemed legit so the turn worked on some level.

I’m also interested for Nashville to learn if MJF joins the Inner Circle or if this is its own thing.

As for Cody never challenging for the World Title again. It’s for the best. Like I stated their was a fear of Promoter Booking Himself on top from me at the beginning of the match. Cody third from top blood feuds is the best position for Cody. If he keeps by the wrestling fans for the wrestling fans folk hero approach up and him and MJF will be able to headline a PPV sans a Strap just like DDP vs Macho Man did. 

There was parts of Kenny vs Moxley I thought we’re rad as fuck. I’m not a big fan of death match wrestling. I find it to be mostly gratuitous. When done right it can be orchestra. I don’t know if this was orchestra but it certainly was Zeppelin. The barbed wire broom finally getting used, Moxley crawling through the broken glass for the ropes, Bucks and Page pleasing for them to stop resulting in the German into the spider web, the German throw the set design, the spots on the wooden boards all just insane.

The match was damn near 40 minutes idk if it had to be that long but it was that long. They did it they showed they were capable of it now let’s shy away from it. I wouldn’t do another let’s put match for another year if it longer. I’d make an exception if Jericho and Moxley closed out All Out with a Lights Out match. The bar is set too high right now and why risk serious injury trying up top it just don’t do it let the legend build. Stick to Cracker Barrel Clashes two or three times a year.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 2

I re-watched the three title matches. My appreciation grew higher for them on a 2nd watch. Especially the AEW World Championship Match. Cody literally took 75% of the offense, probably giving the impression to spectators that he had a big chance to win. Cody barely got any control at the end, he only got in Crossroads, and the Bionic Elbow. Which played smartly into Jericho kicking out of a desperation Crossroads by Cody, and then the elbow, since Jericho didn’t take any real damage prior to it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I thought it was that + avoiding hurting himself.  Sting relaxed the Scorpion when he was in TNA for that reasons.

Just a quick note concerning B/R Live:

Nothing but excellent streaming last night.  Also, the replay was available around midnight.  The previous mentioned replay starting Sunday morning didn't end up happening.  Maybe they meant the PPV wouldn't be available till Sunday - Midnight being Sunday.  I'm also pleased with the fact that I can continue to stream this on b/r live.  Just having a second look at LAX-Bucks and Cody-Jericho.  

• Like 1

I'm still reading the thread but just wanted to say we had a fucking blast last night. I know @John E. Dynamitedidn't like the Baltimore crowd which sucks. And considering how little people think about Baltimore in general it does sometimes seem like it just piles on. But I dare say this was the best time I had at the Arena. For one unlike WWE shows the people there were all super nice and apologetic if they were in your way which normally doesn't happen there. And while there was insipid commentary at times at least around me that got shot down quickly.

As for the lack of noise I know it's easy to blame the crowd mics but I think it's partly to blame for it. There were definitely matches where the crowd was dead (Janela/Spears should have been on the pre-show) But without seeing it yet on B/R Live I can safely say the crowd was MUCH louder for the opener and other points than it came across. The "Rock and Roll!" chant was thunderous and I can't remember the last time that happened there. And throughout the night there were chants throughout that were impressive.  Shit, they were even singing along to Cody and Jericho's theme which to me at least rang throughout a lot of the place.  Just a really fun atmosphere to be around.

As for the show I'll likely say more about it in the morning but thought I'd give my take on this for now. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4