DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I'm just catching up on Full Gear -- haven't watched Omega - Moxley yet.  But I wanted to say:

MJF DID NOTHING WRONG.

Cody appeared to be in dire straits, that liontamer was all the way cinched in.  Cody had the gross laceration and the bruises on his ribs.  He threw in the towel to protect his friend.  After it was over, MJF apologized profusely, and Cody was acting like a total dick.  Crowd was chanting "you fucked up" at MJF and "Fuck him up Cody" while Cody was still acting like a dick.  We all know who MJF.  He's a disrespectful heel.  He's being rewarded for trying to save his friend with his friend acting like he did the worst thing ever and the crowd excoriating him.  What did we think MJF was going to do? 

Cody deserved it. 

Cody very clearly gave him an "it's alright" acknowledgment. And only then did MJF strike.

• Like 2

I made the mistake and listened to the rest of WOR over the weekend. Bryan and Dave are beyond infuriating. I think the thing that bugged me the most was the two of them talking about how company's that build themselves around matches like this aren't successful.

IT WAS ONE MATCH. Also, the show and promotion aren't built around matches like Omega vs Moxley. They're both fucking dumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I thought the show was pretty good the other night. My only complaint with Omega/Moxley was it went way too long. Like it should have ended after the spider net thing. It was overkill when they went to pulling up the ring mat.

They could have cut out the move into the Full Gear set or cut out the mouse trap bit or shortened any number of things. It's definitely a match that you could easily tighten up with some editing.

Great PPV and a smart way to get around Cody's promise not to challenge again for the title.  IT'S MJF'S FAULT~!

Even though he didn't do anything wrong.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I made the mistake and listened to the rest of WOR over the weekend. Bryan and Dave are beyond infuriating. I think the thing that bugged me the most was the two of them talking about how company's that build themselves around matches like this aren't successful.

IT WAS ONE MATCH. Also, the show and promotion aren't built around matches like Omega vs Moxley. They're both fucking dumb.

I nearly lost it when they were asking if any promotion doing death matches had ever mainstream popularity and I'm screaming at the top of my lungs "Fucking Onita and FMW were filling goddamned baseball stadiums!!!"

• Like 5

I get the talking point of “violence for the sake of violence” but wasn’t that part of the point of the match itself?  That if Kahn and the AEW powers that be wouldn’t sanction the match for fear of the level of violence then Moxley was going to give them blood and guts and then some just as a fuck you? Sure, the match could have been ten minutes shorter but to me it never felt like some of the worst garbage brawls we have seen over the years. 

The kerfuffle over the unsanctioned match is such horse hockey. It was just as much a magic show match as any modern Hell in the Cell or TLC, it just didn’t treat the audience like an idiot. That sugar glass was no more dangerous than the Fiend’s cartoon mallet but at least I didn’t feel embarrassed to watch it. Gouging the forehead was a little much but even that wasn’t as bad as Cody’s diving headbutt to the ramp the match before. Not only is it completely hypocritical to rag on this match and praise Ibushi’s many attempts to paralyze himself but it misses the point of the match entirely, that it’s declaring how different the two companies will be, for better or for worse.

And just so I don’t drown in the AEW koolaid, I wish they weren’t running PAC/Page again so soon unless it’s leading to something more. If it’s just PAC getting his win back, that’s the 50/50 booking BS that I’m trying to get away from.

• Like 2

Thinking back to their recap they did mention that during Kip/Penelope's interview they cut to Joey walking up the ramp.  It's interesting because they said she dumped Joey for Kip and I guess now they're going to transition into that for a story.  I get a bit weird about turning real life stuff like this into a story.  But if they're okay with it and can make for compelling TV then I guess I'm on board.

Oh, and also forgot to mention that we went to the after party.  I hope they have it somewhere a bit closer for next year but it was a fun time regardless.  We saw Peter Avalon again who was delighted to hear me bring up his other gimmick in NWA Hollywood (discussed on Jericho's pod)  And my wife finally met Sonny and she just lost her damn mind.  So I'd say it was worth going to and thankfully we paid half price for VIP tickets due to the code.

• Like 4

They have this hardcore match that Meltzer just shits on, but this is professional wrestling, after all - what was real and what was fake? These guys are pros, they're bound to know some stunt guy who could make the match safer - I'm not saying they used stunt doubles, that's stupid, but maybe told them how to do the barbed wire spots with some kind of faked-up wire.

I haven't seen many barbed wire matches (Funk-Sabu when Sabu tore his bicep off, practically) and every time someone went into the wire, there'd be a gang of people who'd cut them out with wire cutters. The AEW folk just kinda lifted  the two out of that barbed wire net.

If the doctor hadn't came down and stopped that nasty cut on Cody, there would've been much, much more blood in that match than an anything-goes hardcore lights-out match. It doesn't add up, and I wonder if Meltzer's taking of the whole thing as real isn't some weird work with AEW or some circle-the-wagons work on Meltzer..

Edited by jstout

FWIW Dave said he re-watched Full Gear and cited a reason that he would make irrelevant. He basically said that he'll go back and re-watch smaller or indy shows or something like that if he watched a better quality show first. In this case it was the NJPW show in San Jose. He then said that doesn't really apply in this case because AEW isn't like what he described. So anyway...

In pure Meltzer speak he said he still hated the match, but also said it was good or something to that effect, which, ok... He said a lot of people said the storytelling was good in it and he could see that. Then Bryan had to chime in to say the match didn't have any storytelling. Insert eyeroll here.

They both kept talking about how dangerous the moves on the bare wood were and how Kenny got spiked into the wood with the elevated Paradigm Shift, a more neither of them know the name of because they'll either call it a Death Rider, what he calls it in Japan, or A DDT, or a brainbuster. EVEN STILL, Kenny rolls through the move. He doesn't get "spiked" on his head.

They're always convinced some wrestler is getting literally killed by a move like they haven't watched this shit for decades and don't know how it works. Bryan two weeks ago said he actually calls people who work for the promotions asking if the wrestler is alive or ok. 

Anyway, rant over. I like Meltzer and Alvarez, but sometimes they just get on my nerves with their takes.

• Like 2

In retrospect I really liked the boot tag spot, and tag behind the refs back bit afterwards. It was strange that they were babyfacing Proud & Powerful, but if you were watching the hype packages before the show you’d noticed they were doing a bit of that already. 

More “Tommy Young being a dick” spots for Rick Knox please.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I find Dave a lot easier to take when you only read him and dont hear him. ?

Yeah. More and more I think this is the way to go. Even his mispronunciation of Asuka is like nails down a chalkboard. He's covered Japanese wrestling for forever now, he knows the "u" in names and words isn't always pronounced (whether he knows why that is is a different story), everyone else pronounces it as Ah-ska, and he constantly says it as Ah-suh-kuh.

• Haha 1

I watched Onita vs. Hayabusa exploding barbed wire cage match last night for ...  reasons I don't know I got stuck in a rabbit hole.  Anyway,  whenever they rammed each other into the barbed wire there would be blood all over them.  That did not happen with the barbed wire spider web.  

I believe the bat and broom were real barbed wire but I think somehow the spider web was gimmicked in a way that it wasn't going to cut them up too bad.  

Also,  it's days later and everyone is still discussing this match.   When's the last time that happened in WWE?  in a positive or divisive sense? Not often..