DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I haven't seen all of the show yet, but just wanted to say that really glad that Shawn Spears is finally starting to find it. The spike piledriver was awesome. I really think Janela should have stretchered for it, but I get that he's nothing if he's not a guy who can take an ass kicking so I'll live with it. But Spears viscerally enjoying fucking Joey's shit up was great - I still think he can be champ if he continues to up his game. 

And Ricky Morton is the fucking best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Having already subscribed to FITE to watch Dynamite weekly, I bit the bullet and ordered my first ever wrestling PPV in Full Gear. Have watched all bar the Mox-Omega match and feel I got great value for money at €23. 

Without repeating what’s been said in the previous pages, the one small thing I noticed that bugged me was during the Spears-Joey match. How often was Earl Hebner out of position?? At least twice Joey had to shoo him away. I don’t normally notice the ref but this was glaring. 

Welcome aboard. Earl Hebner's one of my least favourite refs, he's prone to errors.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already about the show. But I do want to admit that I was wrong about Cody Rhodes. Before AEW was a thing, dude always struck me as a guy who you could count on to hold your secondary championship, maybe main event a low level PPV but nothing above that. But he has honestly been one of the best parts of AEW since it started. Yes, all the EVPs have some schitzophrenic booking amongst themselves, but I'll be damned if Cody doesn't suck me in every time. The match vs Jericho was my favorite of the night, and dude is just killing it as the best babyface the company has. As much as we are all rightfully looking forward to MJF's total rat bastard promo that we know is coming, I'm looking forward to Cody's response even more and I never thought there would EVER be a day I would say that. Respect to you, Mr Rhodes

• Like 6

A couple of more thoughts I just remembered:

- Loved so much the staredown between Malenko and Jericho and the announcers acknowledging their rivarly from 21 years ago. Was expecting some sort of "Stinko" remark from Jericho.

- Loved Kenny's Cactus Jack homage piledriver on top of the trash can.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Loved so much the staredown between Malenko and Jericho and the announcers acknowledging their rivarly from 21 years ago. Was expecting some sort of "Stinko" remark from Jericho.

I’m very disappointed that Jericho doesn’t remember his Malenko put downs. “Stinko” is one, the other one I remember was “Mr. Roboto”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

AEW: "This is an unsanctioned, lights out match. We will not be held responsible for either of your actions."
Also AEW: "And hey, enjoy this barbed wire trampoline we built for y'all to use! Just don't hold us responsible, wink wink!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Finally caught most of the show (Had to skip Janela/Spears due to time constraints) and I was really, really happy with it. Cody and Moxley are probably the best babyfaces in the US right now if not the world. I'm entering unabashed fanboy territory here, but theyve really found a tone and presentation that just really speaks to what I personally enjoy about wresting. I know thats very broad and abstract praise, but it's true. Maybe because im about the same age as the EVPs but most of what AEW does is just so completely aligned with my sensibilities its hard not to gush about it. Great show and legit cant wait for Wednesday because if i were a betting man there is definitely an unreal MJF money promo on the way

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

AEW: "This is an unsanctioned, lights out match. We will not be held responsible for either of your actions."
Also AEW: "And hey, enjoy this barbed wire trampoline we built for y'all to use! Just don't hold us responsible, wink wink!"

I’m not that bothered by that kind of irresponsibility, but I am upset about the lack of care under the AEW ring. They have only been around half a year, and the ring is already infested with rodents to the point they’ve littered the bottom of the ring with mouse traps!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's one of those Wrestling logic things. You can stash something under the ring before the show, but nobody has ever gone to stash something, found someone else's previously hidden stash, and removed it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's one of those Wrestling logic things. You can stash something under the ring before the show, but nobody has ever gone to stash something, found someone else's previously hidden stash, and removed it.

By that same logic, maybe they didn't remove it because they wanted to use it on the person that originally stashed it?

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

Imagine if it happened in the wrong match, Janella be all "I was just looking for a chair but a mouse trap table is even better!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Imagine if it happened in the wrong match, Janella be all "I was just looking for a chair but a mouse trap table is even better!"

Imagine if someone tried a twin magic spot on the undercard of a show with a death match main event, so the 'fresh' twin shows up covered in blood and thumbtacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Do not let me be misunderstood - I am from Baltimore, and I live in Baltimore City proper because it's where I want to be. My section was what I described it as - I literally sat behind a loud fat guy who's jeans kept falling down, exposing most of his ass. Rowdy county folk, I didn't have bad words with anyone, but their rowdiness didn't translate to a better crowd sound than DC.

Ah, I see.  I thankfully didn't experience a full moon but did have two guys (one in front and one behind us) making remarks.  It wasn't anything too ridiculous and we just laughed it off.  But I think I should look for section 229 going forward when getting tickets as the view we had was just incredible.  As for crowd sound it was different from DC but I loved it all the same.

As for the show I loved it.  Without treading well-worn territory here I will say that the lights out match was king-sized stuff and I loved every bit of it.  Heck, I'm not ashamed to say I even was jumping in my seat at one point like a kid on Christmas.  Even if it was a smoke-and-mirrors thing with some of the stuff it all just ruled so hard.  Sure, you can shave off 10 minutes but the fact that we got stuff like this on a national stage is awesome.  I was almost expecting some light tubes but maybe it's for the best that wasn't part of it.  At first Dave's ranting about it was going into Debbie Downer territory but the more I heard the more I just got annoyed at them both.  They may have a point that not everybody's going to love it but why ruin it for them like that?  Sometimes just saying "It's not for me" and not much else is perfectly okay.

Regarding the rest of the show the opener and Cody/Jericho were my favorite matches.  I think if you factor in the post-match with Ricky I may have liked the opener a tiny bit more.  The rest of the show ranged from good to pretty darn good.  I wasn't intending on watching it back since I was there live but may end up doing that after all.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Having already subscribed to FITE to watch Dynamite weekly, I bit the bullet and ordered my first ever wrestling PPV in Full Gear. Have watched all bar the Mox-Omega match and feel I got great value for money at €23. 

Without repeating what’s been said in the previous pages, the one small thing I noticed that bugged me was during the Spears-Joey match. How often was Earl Hebner out of position?? At least twice Joey had to shoo him away. I don’t normally notice the ref but this was glaring. 

Welcome aboard, lurker. Hope you're not going to go misbehavin'. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found Omega/Moxley on Youtube and even though that fucking file was 40 minutes long I didn't get bored the entire time, unlike all of Omega's six star NJPW "classics" that definitely shortened more careers than a barbed wire spider net. Also, the most painful looking thing in that entire match was Omega missing the Phoenix Splash, and that didn't even involve a gimmick. 

Maffew's gonna have a field day with "50 or 60 mousetraps". 

• Like 1

I'm just catching up on Full Gear -- haven't watched Omega - Moxley yet.  But I wanted to say:

MJF DID NOTHING WRONG.

Cody appeared to be in dire straits, that liontamer was all the way cinched in.  Cody had the gross laceration and the bruises on his ribs.  He threw in the towel to protect his friend.  After it was over, MJF apologized profusely, and Cody was acting like a total dick.  Crowd was chanting "you fucked up" at MJF and "Fuck him up Cody" while Cody was still acting like a dick.  We all know who MJF.  He's a disrespectful heel.  He's being rewarded for trying to save his friend with his friend acting like he did the worst thing ever and the crowd excoriating him.  What did we think MJF was going to do? 

Cody deserved it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1