DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

One final comment - No more lights out or unsanctioned matches for a long time. Sure, do a no dq match every now and then, but they've done this lights out match too many times now. Plus, there needs to be a good enough reason to do it and I seriously doubt they come up with anything like this for awhile.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Facts, and even when WWE does the type of matches it usually to fill up a gimmick PPV more so than just to blow off a feud and alot of times it doesn't mean anything in the end or the execution comes of extra cartoonish and overly produced to where it takes you out the match even though the guys are killing each other. I'm not a death match guy but I'm all for doing matches like this if the feud calls for it

That's it, when the time's right. Less is more.

I'm fairly certain a lot of the stuff in Moxley/Omega was gimmicked. There would've been a shit ton more blood otherwise.

But that could've easily been 15 minutes shorter and been a hell of a lot better. Or it could've told a story of any sort. It was pretty much just kinda boring.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

Precisely. These guys spent weeks promising barbed wire carnage and violence and that’s exactly what the paying punter expected. The hell are you complaining about?

Cody and Aldis are the best storytellers in the game right now. The stip telegraphed the finish but creates the chase and more possibilities going forward in an interesting and embellishing fashion.

This company is delivering on all promise and value for buck. 

• Like 4

After MJF turned I was like, really, not one of you fucks is going to throw garbage into the ring? Really?!

And then that Stu Grayson looking dude just completely nailed MJF and it was like the cherry on top of the sundae. Thank you sir for doing what was needed. Sorry that you got kicked out.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think he's a free man at the end of the month. Him closing out the Thanksgiving Eve edition of Dynamite would be awesome. I really don't see him going to the 'E. He's a main player right away if he goes to AEW and gets to work with his friends or goes to a bloated WWE/NXT roster with a gimmick those in charge most likely wouldn't get. It would seem to be a no-brainer for me, but what do I know?

In all honesty, not just with Scurll, but right now at this moment, why would anyone want to sign with WWE? Not to hate on WWE at all. There is already more talent there then they have room for. There's talent there that are just sitting on the shelf for petty reasons or just because the people holding the pencil have no idea where to slot you so that the senior citizen running the show will look at what you are doing and say "God damn, that's good shit!" Even if you do make TV, you might have to watch your wife make out with another dude and tell the world how much you suck or something else dumb. Sure, you could hold out hope you go to NXT and maybe not look stupid but even they have more talent then they know what to do with.

Say what you will about AEW, but they managed to make fucking Jack Swagger interesting in the span of a few weeks. And by all accounts everyone is getting PAID. If you have the chance, why wouldn't you go to AEW?

And the best part is, all of us wrestling nerds get to reap the rewards of all this. What a time to be alive, my friends

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm fairly certain a lot of the stuff in Moxley/Omega was gimmicked. There would've been a shit ton more blood otherwise.

Our that could've easily been 15 minutes shorter and been a hell of a lot better. Or it could've told a story of any sort. It was pretty much just kinda boring.

It did tell a story of two men willing to escalate the violence level. Kenny was playing Mox's game though so he was never going to win. He was also showing shades of the "we're just getting started" character he inexplicably just dropped out of nowhere (well there was that one shot of him remorseful after the coffee table spot in the back). So there was storytelling and it was exactly what the feud was building to but as a match the layout and pacing felt off, too slow and plodding. I have yet to listen to WOR but you shouldn't be surprised that Dave didn't like it. His whole thing leading up to the match was, "I really hope they don't just use weapons for the sake of it and it becomes a weapons based match instead of a hate filled brawl that happens to have weapons" (paraphrased obviously). It certainly become a weapons-based match. 

If that dude who pelted MJeff with the beverage wasn't a plant I don't even know anymore. Great arm though. Was also shocked that nobody thew anything up to that point. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Dave and Bryan desperately want this to be NJPW-lite. Both of these guys have reviewed wrestling for so long and impressively they don't get it. A big purpose for this match was to build buzz for the company. "Dude, did you hear about that crazy shit in AEW? I heard someone got suplexed onto mouse traps! What the fuck! I gotta watch Wednesday to see what this is all about."

Like, Dave and Bryan both thought the glass was real. REAL GLASS. And yet neither wrestler was bleeding buckets. For fucks sake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Also had another interesting thought: Omega could tell Mox you beat me in an ultraviolent streetfight, but you can't beat me in a straight wrestling match that counts.

Yup. I don’t think this was a blowoff match. I like that they’re being creative with this feud. The blowoff will be a straight-up Wrestling Match. They’ll be able to play up that their records matter while reversing our interpretation of how a feud is built.

• Like 2

Man, maybe I'm out of touch, but I thought the match wasn't violent enough. I mean I enjoyed it, but it still felt kinda safe and practiced for that style. Like complaining that a magician sawing a woman in half is too dangerous.

I thought Kenny doing a top rope move on the exposed wood was the most dangerous spot of the match.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Man, maybe I'm out of touch, but I thought the match wasn't violent enough. I mean I enjoyed it, but it still felt kinda safe and practiced for that style. Like complaining that a magician sawing a woman in half is too dangerous.

I thought Kenny doing a top rope move on the exposed wood was the most dangerous spot of the match.

I think I after with you. There was a lot of smoke and mirrors to what they did. The bump onto the mouse traps was nothing. You're just setting off a bunch of traps, but nothing is getting pinched in them. Someone here said they would have liked to see someone's fingers getting snapped in a trap and that would have been more violent than what they did.

Thumb tacks would have been more violent than fake broken glass.

More bumps through tables or off of ladders would have been more violent than the barbed wire stuff.

However, I liked the story they were telling and the main takeaway to get word of mouth going was that they did moves onto mouse traps, glass, and barbed wire. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

I'm not a deathmatch guy and I thought the same. There were a few moments that made me squirm but it mostly didn't seem that bad. The glass was definitely working glass and even the barbed wire net didn't come off as all that dangerous. Still a fun match but twice as long as it needed to be. As a smoke and mirrors gimmick match, it blows WWE's cartoon blow offs away.

• Like 1

What is the consensus on Cody's cut? As someone mentioned, it wasn't your typical blade job looking cut. But then Dave is attributing the bruises from the belt whipping to that ramp spot. Man, Dave and Bryan seem out of it in this review. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the show, maybe not as much as I expected though. I thought the crowd sounded pretty flat all night, which took me out a little bit. I also agree with others who have said that should be the last of the lights out matches for a while. 

The style of Cody v Jericho was totally different to the rest of the show, it stood out - in a good way. Hard way or otherwise, i liked a bit of blood in the title match. Looked real gnarly. 

I do think Mox v Omega went a bit long, but they delivered on their promise. Where do Kenny and Moxley go now? Are they title contenders? Who is number one contender now? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What is the consensus on Cody's cut? As someone mentioned, it wasn't your typical blade job looking cut. But then Dave is attributing the bruises from the belt whipping to that ramp spot. Man, Dave and Bryan seem out of it in this review. 

I'm not sure about Cody's cut. The shape of it was fucked but it wasn't split over the sharp edge of the brow either, and it wasn't like he hit the edge of something on the ramp.

It all happened really quickly and in the open, so he may have just got funky with cut in a rush.

• Like 1

David Starr tells a story of a CZW guy whose rate of pay for Death Matches is lower than his rate for regular wrestling. The logic being that in Death Matches you take one or two big bumps, but it's mostly surface damage your body is taking. Whereas in regular wrestling you take lots of bumps, and every one is doing structural damage to your body that you'll never properly recover from.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, just drew said:

Yep. Imagine thinking Seth Rollins is the guy to build around, rather than Mox. I’m not sure there’s an active wrestler on the planet who’s a more compelling combination of worker/talker than jon Moxley, and wwe was content to let him be Seth’s backup. 

This really reminds me of the early idea of letting Moxley becoming the new Roddy Piper who is unhinged and brawls all the time. It never happened but, now more than ever, you can see it would have worked in a different company with a different vision. 

• Like 4

Overall, I had another great night watching wrestling with Full Gear. The opening tag was my match of the night. I thought they would go way overboard on spots but they worked a solid tag match with great limb selling and some great double teams and it worked so well. The ending seemed a little abrupt after some of the epics with too many kickouts at 2.9999 but it got PnP over huge and served as a good change of pace. The tag title three way was okay but the loose spottiness in that is a far cry from how well Bucks/PnP put that together. Too bad it got overshadowed.

I dug the emotion in the women's title match but Riho was always going over. I'm into a Riho/Kong feud, it's like Kong/Gail Kim but an even smaller opponent. If Kong is healthy and wants to work, I'd get the title on her. Riho can always build to another title shot later on and Kong is more dynamic of a champion for TV and that's what the women need.

Cody/Jericho was good but I'd listened to you guys pie in the sky about the MJF/Cody friendship for so long that the turn now seems to soon even though it was my original prediction (although I thought MJF would join the Inner Circle sits it fits his persona so well). The match itself was pretty much what I thought it would be. The final Lion Tamer was sick. If I had any nit pick it's that Jericho was so locked in with the submission that MJF was justified in throwing in the towel so they could've drawn that out a little more and have Max turn because Cody didn't appreciate that he was saving his career. As it is, it looks like he threw in the towel to screw Cody (even though he looked beat as it was) so I hope there's a good reason behind that. But, guys, the promos are going to rule so hard.

• Like 1