DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

At least Jericho/Cody didn't do a one hour draw ? I was really concerned when they talked about judges and all that.

I can enjoy a good trash fight and all that every once in a while, but like I just hope they don't make a habit of making all of Moxley's big matches a gimmick match or some variation of a No DQ/Street fight. 

I mean I love Moxley, but I also want him to have a long career too. 

Irony: people losing their minds over how dangerous the main event was when frankly factoring in crazy head/neck bumps it was probably safer than most of Omega's matches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Irony: people losing their minds over how dangerous the main event was when frankly factoring in crazy head/neck bumps it was probably safer than most of Omega's matches.

There were probably more dangerous spots on tonight's New Japan show than there was in the main event of Full Gear.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

It's only a matter of time before Marty, Kenny, and the Young Bucks Too Sweet one another over Cody's battered body.

If I'm Marty I wouldn't be coming in to re-join the rest of the Elite. What kind of friends leave another friend high and dry in Sinclair's ROH? I'd be out for vengeance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's not like Kenny and Mox did it for $20 and a hot dog either.   Yes,  to me that matters.  Context matters.  This was a big blow off to a blood feud that's been simmering since May between two main event level guys that are being paid handsomely in a big national wrestling promotion.  

So anyone who tries to come at it with "backyard wrestling"..    no,  I disagree completely. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If I'm Marty I wouldn't be coming in to re-join the rest of the Elite. What kind of friends leave another friend high and dry in Sinclair's ROH? I'd be out for vengeance.

The kind that understand Marty’s contract didn’t end at the same time as theirs?

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Any word how longer the Plague Doctor's in ROH purgatory? Will he join AEW or go WWE?

Oh and for the record,  IF Hell in a Cell between The Fiend and Seth Rollins would have been booked like this or anything that resembled a blood feud instead of the weird red lighting and the dumb fuck finish I would have praised that as I usually do.  Sasha vs. Becky blew those two out of the water that night. 

Yes, I've seen the Rollins/Bray comparison by some of these dopes so I thought it'd be worth mentioning. 

• Like 2

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh and for the record,  IF Hell in a Cell between The Fiend and Seth Rollins would have been booked like this or anything that resembled a blood feud instead of the weird red lighting and the dumb fuck finish I would have praised that as I usually do.  Sasha vs. Becky blew those two out of the water that night. 

Yes, I've seen the Rollins/Bray comparison by some of these dopes so I thought it'd be worth mentioning. 

Becky Lynch/Sasha Banks inside Hell in a Cell is one of the best since WWE went PG in 2008 and the match getting an annual PPV since 2009 which makes it more impressive.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Any word how longer the Plague Doctor's in ROH purgatory? Will he join AEW or go WWE?

I think he's a free man at the end of the month. Him closing out the Thanksgiving Eve edition of Dynamite would be awesome. I really don't see him going to the 'E. He's a main player right away if he goes to AEW and gets to work with his friends or goes to a bloated WWE/NXT roster with a gimmick those in charge most likely wouldn't get. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

But do they have a recap of the most recent Jimmy Snuka-Metal Maniac match from the Cherry Hill VFW a few nights ago (I know Snuka is dead, Maniac worked his corpse and still did the job)?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Lost in the big topics of conversation off this show is going to be how good the finish was for PAC-Page.

Considering how ambivalent I was about Page before TV started, I'm thrilled at how quickly he's become one of my favourite babyfaces.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5

I didn't really care for Omega/Mox (not so much because of the content but because it was too long and too much. How do either of them ever lose a regular match from a regular move in a regular ring?)

I don't know why Shawn Spears is on ppv.

The opening tag was really good.

Pac/Page took awhile to pick up, but had an amazing finishing stretch.

Tag titles were fine. Quen's SSP is the best looking move in wrestling right now.

Sakura/Riho was excellent.

Then there's the title match. Holy fuck. I don't know how it happened, but Cody Rhodes has become the best in-ring storyteller in the world. It's not always the best executed match, or the most exciting, but every big show he's on (and not working Shawn Spears) and given time, he delivers the emotional highpoint of the night. Jericho is great in this role, MJF is perfect (his smug little grin after getting that drink thrown on him! I just want to slap the shit out of him), but Cody... I wanted him to win so badly, deep down in my soul. Nobody else does that to me these days. What a fucking match.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 5

Fuck the haters and babies that are crying about Omega vs. Moxley. That shit fucking ruled. I'm also squeamish when it comes to some stuff in wrestling, but that match was probably safer than a bunch of other Omega matches. People acting like this shit is fucking terrible while at the same time chomping at the bit to see Shibata wrestle again or loving Shibata's matches to begin with. That dude was literally killing himself and people want to cry because of barbed wire or gimmicked glass. 

If you want to complain about the length, then fine. You could have trimmed about 10 minutes off of it. But those two fucking guys delivered what they promised. 

Loved most of the show and I'll be honest, I dozed off during the tag titles match. Oh, and I don't get why Spears and Janella deserved to be on the PPV.

I'm fine with MJF turning heel based on how they did it. It worked and I'm sold.

$50 well spent.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's not like Kenny and Mox did it for $20 and a hot dog either.   Yes,  to me that matters.  Context matters.  This was a big blow off to a blood feud that's been simmering since May between two main event level guys that are being paid handsomely in a big national wrestling promotion.  

So anyone who tries to come at it with "backyard wrestling"..    no,  I disagree completely. 

Facts, and even when WWE does the type of matches it usually to fill up a gimmick PPV more so than just to blow off a feud and alot of times it doesn't mean anything in the end or the execution comes of extra cartoonish and overly produced to where it takes you out the match even though the guys are killing each other. I'm not a death match guy but I'm all for doing matches like this if the feud calls for it

• Like 3