DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Mox/Kenny would’ve been better if they’d skipped the garbage can stuff (as would every hardcore match ever) and the mouse trap gimmick.  Once we got to the blood and guts, the main event delivered.

Edited by EVA

Just now, EVA said:

Mox/Kenny would’ve been better if they’d skipped the garbage can stuff (as would every hardcore match ever) and the mouse trap gimmick.  Once we got to the blood and guts, the main event delivered.

The mouse trap gimmick could have worked if they had more on that board. Excalibur exaggerating by saying there were 50 or 60 on there when it was obviously closer to like 20 (and spread wayyy the fuck out) was my facepalm moment of the night.

I just keep thinking about how impressive it is that WWE let Jon Moxley slip through their fingers like they did. It's a real "WCW firing Steve Austin" kind of moment in time, to me anyway.

• Like 3

Just now, Casey said:

The mouse trap gimmick could have worked if they had more on that board. Excalibur exaggerating by saying there were 50 or 60 on there when it was obviously closer to like 20 (and spread wayyy the fuck out) was my facepalm moment of the night.

I just keep thinking about how impressive it is that WWE let Jon Moxley slip through their fingers like they did. It's a real "WCW firing Steve Austin" kind of moment in time, to me anyway.

Yep. Imagine thinking Seth Rollins is the guy to build around, rather than Mox. I’m not sure there’s an active wrestler on the planet who’s a more compelling combination of worker/talker than jon Moxley, and wwe was content to let him be Seth’s backup. 

• Like 1

The mouse trap thing reminded of those times in BJW where they’ll introduce a unique weapon into the mix that they are so sure it’ll work, but in practice it kinda falls apart because it doesn’t cause the damage you expect. The perfect outcome could’ve been the mouse trap getting stuck on Kenny’s ass or something. Even if they had more I don’t think it would’ve mattered. Getting your ginger, or nose stuck in them would’ve been the only way the fans would react to it more loudly. *Sigh* You live, and you learn. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Very good show.  It was gonna be hard to meet expectations, but everybody worked to do so and they came close.  

Haha - to the haters of the Moxley-Omega Main.  That was sickening at points and cringe worthy, but all in tremendous fun.  

I really didn't like the 'won't ever challenge for the world title' stip going in, and I dislike it even more now.  Ugh, I don't want it but there's an inevitable reneg happening there.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't a trade off - Cody drops the EVP title to be only a wrestler, so, hurray, he can challenge for the title.  The MJF thing seemed too predictable to happen (I believe you're correct @Peck).  I don't hate it, but it was a bit disappointing.  It being plainly obvious to everyone but Cody that MJF would turn makes him look like a bit of an idiot.  Tho, I do like where we go from here with MJF-Cody. 

I agree with the badboy that they opened strong and lulled in the middle.  Bucks-Santana/Ortiz (Proud-n-Powerful, really?) was excellent.  God bless Richard Morton.  I liked Page-Pac even more.  They really gelled tonight.  Page is getting better and better, and Pac is one of the absolute best going.  So good and so believable.  I think Pac should have went over, but I'm patient enough to see where they're going with this. 

Spears-Janella should have been on the Buy In, but that spike piledriver finish was amongst my favorite moments on this show.  I think Spears needs a tag partner.  Three way tag title match was fun, but the winner was inevitable.  I agree @DreamBroken on the Daniels dress-up.  Why go to all that trouble?  Just lights out and attack.  RIho-Emi was fine with a nice finish stretch.

Judging from some of the posts, the sound I was getting was quite different than most.  Other than the main event this crowd sounded dead.  That said, I watched the first 3/4 with volume thru a sonos soundbar, and the last match with headphones.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Just now, just drew said:

Yep. Imagine thinking Seth Rollins is the guy to build around, rather than Mox. I’m not sure there’s an active wrestler on the planet who’s a more compelling combination of worker/talker than jon Moxley, and wwe was content to let him be Seth’s backup. 

I didn't see it at the time, because WWE was presenting Moxley in such a way that it was hard to even imagine him as "the guy". But yeah, I agree now. And I say that as a Rollins mark (well, in-ring anyway).

• Like 2

I do think there’s probably a lot of “That’s not wrestling” posturing involved in the Mox/Kenny backlash, but I also think you have to appreciate that some people don’t have the constitution for that kind of stuff. I watched the show with a friend, and he was extremely squeamish about the whole thing.

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It being plainly obvious to everyone but Cody that MJF would turn makes him look like a bit of an idiot.

But I thought we liked and definitely wanted WCW nostalgia with AEW? Cody is the new Sting, and everyone will turn on him, and he'll be oblivious to it. Next up is Adam Page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loved seeing Muta with all the AEW swag.  I always assumed he was tied to NJPW.  I guess not.  Good choices of judges.  Also, when I saw Penelope Ford in that awful 4 way on Dark I thought 'she's got a great look and charisma, love to see her not as a wrestler but as a manager'.  So, thank you AEW.  Nice partnering for Kip Sabian.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I like that I feel concerned when I see blood in this promotion.  Prolly thanks to Dustin's Muta scale DoN blade job.  That Cody dive 'he hit his head' sell and blade job was glorious.  I was tense watching Omega and Moxley.  Moxley seemed to be bleeding from the neck at one point.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Or Elite Marty.  

This brings up something I've been meaning to ask: does ANYONE remember an episode of Being The Elite where they did the phone countdown thing for Marty? I can't remember which episode it was, or how it came to be (since he stopped appearing in BTE a while ago), but I know this happened. Then it was never mentioned again.