DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I think MJF turning is really the right move, because Cody can make him legit, which he needs right now.

Think about that amazing Cody promo and how that put the heat on Jericho to beat him. Then take all that heat Jericho(who doesn't need it) could have gotten and put it on the most interesting homegrown star in that company. To me that's the smartest move they've made so far.

Some people may say it's too early but I think it's time to make this guy a star now.

• Like 4

That was a damn fine wrestling show, worth every bit of $50. I don't know how it didn't live up to expectations, it's what we usually get every Wednesday night but just longer. Everything connected, the crowd was hot, and some of those matches were crazy good.

MJF turning is only too early if you haven't been following the story since the beginning. They've been teasing this since before Double Or Nothing, if I recall correctly. It's about time they pay it off. The man tried to kill Cody's dog for fucks sake.

Omega/Moxley was gross and I loved it. Weird that the elevated DDT onto the wood was the finish when 10 minutes earlier or whatever they just went through a barbed wire spiderweb but whatever. Awesome match, but I love trainwrecks like that.

Young Bucks/PnP was the best match of the night, though.

• Like 2

I loved the last two matches,  particularly Cody vs. Jericho and bringing back the throwing of the towel with MJF.   I thought the full blown turn was early though.  They could have slow burned it for another month or two because they had the story right there for "he was just saving his good friend" and they could have revealed the evil plot at a later date.  

Either way I loved it though and MJF got a great fuck you heel reaction from the crowd.  

Moxley and Omega was fucking sick... in a good way but a coupe ideas were a little out there too.  It was a great spectacle but I am GOOD on seeing "Lights Out" matches for a while. I don't think they should do something like that again for a long time.  

Everything else was good.  I'm not underwhelmed it was a great show but I have to say the Baltimore crowd was not that great. It was probably the weakest AEW crowd they've had unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Just now, Oyaji said:

WNBB, you did not enjoy the 3 way tag match?

No, but I blame that on my squirrel attention span. I'd already seen an hour of good wrestling, and the next three matches seemed like forgone conclusions so I mentally checked out. Everyone worked their usual fine match, but it didn't grab me. At that point, I was waiting for the main events. 

Speaking of the match order, I liked them putting all three title matches at the end of the "official" show. I'll be curious to see if that becomes a thing. Knowing my feelings about every match on the card, I'd have done the tag title bout first. 

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

I think MJF turning is really the right move, because Cody can make him legit, which he needs right now.

Think about that amazing Cody promo and how that put the heat on Jericho to beat him. Then take all that heat Jericho(who doesn't need it) could have gotten and put it on the most interesting homegrown star in that company. To me that's the smartest move they've made so far.

Some people may say it's too early but I think it's time to make this guy a star now.

I kept telling myself post-match that this will be the thing that cements their friendship for a year and then just after we all stop thinking about the turn he hits it. I mean, I get it. It's fine and Mjeff is ready for this huge elevation unlike that shitbird Spears, but I feel like they could've done more to maximize the betrayal. This stipulation felt like an unearned, unnecessary part of a white hot match to basically set up the next Cody feud. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

That sound you might hear is whiny bitches tagging Cornette right now

As if they weren't tagging him with some of the ref spots in the first match. Even JR seemed like he was ready to explode when the ref refused to acknowledge the foot tag. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

It is funny that Moxley vs Janela did basically the same thing only about 20 minutes less and nobody was crying about how awful it was and ruining the business and other whininess.   But I guess if Mr 6 stars does it then we all need to go to church on Sunday .  Get the fuck out of here.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

That was a damn fine wrestling show, worth every bit of $50. I don't know how it didn't live up to expectations, it's what we usually get every Wednesday night but just longer. Everything connected, the crowd was hot, and some of those matches were crazy good.

MJF turning is only too early if you haven't been following the story since the beginning. They've been teasing this since before Double Or Nothing, if I recall correctly. It's about time they pay it off. The man tried to kill Cody's dog for fucks sake.

Omega/Moxley was gross and I loved it. Weird that the elevated DDT onto the wood was the finish when 10 minutes earlier or whatever they just went through a barbed wire spiderweb but whatever. Awesome match, but I love trainwrecks like that.

Young Bucks/PnP was the best match of the night, though.

I have and the part with Pharaoh and then Brandi knowing how evil MJeff actually is then Cody just did the Rocky speech... All of that kind of sucked. It was like they realized that we should wait for TV to do this and just retconned a guy trying to kill the best dog. So they kind of hit a reset button and I thought they'd make the connection even deeper between the two. 

Spears/Janela wasn't bad but it was painfully boring. Seeing Emi get heck of emotional added a nice element but the crowd wasn't into much of that match. The ending sequence was killer even if not executed flawlessly tho. I dunno. I expected a MOTY level contest from this and it didn't really deliver that and then I don't love the big answer they gave us with the end of the Cody match. It's fine.

• Like 1

Just now, hammerva said:

It is funny that Moxley vs Janela did basically the same thing only about 20 minutes less and nobody was crying about how awful it was and ruining the business and other whininess.   But I guess if Mr 6 stars does it then we all need to go to church on Sunday .  Get the fuck out of here.   

I don't know what you're referring to honestly, but in any event - this match was considerably more fucked up than Moxley/Janela or Omega/Janela. Some of these spots were nasty (even the ones that didn't quite work, like the mousetraps).

Jon Moxley and Kenny Omega put themselves through it in that match with bared wire wrapped round a bat, a broom, broken glass, barbed wire net, mousetrap board and a ring with no canvas. Respect. Omega took more than I expected.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Preshow match was not good at all

I'm a fan of the Young Bucks sprint clusterfuck matches when they're done right, but this was a case of them cutting down their schtick and showing they're capable of putting on a more straightforward match when they want. Great opener

Page/Pac was a nice match. 

Didn't care about Spears/Janella. I like Joey but no matter how they try to rehab Spears, everything about him reeks of jobber and I couldn't get into the match.

The three way tag match was a lot of fun. I agree with Private Party still being a bit green but they hung in here really well. 

The women's title match didn't interest me that much and I had some work stuff going on at the time so I didn't give it that much attention.

Not a whole lot of title matches in recent memory got the quality buildup and speculation that Cody/Jericho had. Everything about this was laid out great with the finish being exceptionally well done. I also think they could have sat on the MJF heel turn a bit longer, but I'm already looking forward to the promos.

After the world title match I completely forgot about Omega/Moxley and turned it off. Is it worth checking out?

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I kept telling myself post-match that this will be the thing that cements their friendship for a year and then just after we all stop thinking about the turn he hits it. I mean, I get it. It's fine and Mjeff is ready for this huge elevation unlike that shitbird Spears, but I feel like they could've done more to maximize the betrayal. This stipulation felt like an unearned, unnecessary part of a white hot match to basically set up the next Cody feud. 

They could have done more, but then it's like how much more could they have done with MJF basically just playing a "guy who will eventually turn." That kind of story kind of holds him up from progressing too. And it really has been going on for a while, just not on TV. I personally enjoyed the bad guy in some situations but best buddy in other story, but I'm willing to transition my disdain for ending it onto MJF instead of the company for booking it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

After the world title match I completely forgot about Omega/Moxley and turned it off. Is it worth checking out?

Depends... how do you feel about deathmatches? Because this is probably as close as you'll ever get to seeing one from a wrestling promotion with a national TV deal.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Depends... how do you feel about deathmatches? Because this is probably as close as you'll ever get to seeing one from a wrestling promotion with a national TV deal.

I watch GCW and CZW semi-regularly and can dig a good deathmatch. I take it this was actually decent and not the sanitized WWE Hardcore title sort?