DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I get that they are going for the lights out thing with Omega and Moxley, but its a bad idea at this point.  Cody v Jericho is the hottest thing in the company and should be the main event slot.  You're either going to blow the crowd up with Cody winning or piss them off if he doesn't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Dude wise, yes.  Cody is the closest thing to a pure babyface in AEW.

If we're talking everybody, then Riho is so sweet that it's bad for your teeth.

That’s very true, but she needs a fued to test it. That’s probably the only good potential thing about the Brandi storyline. It’ll give her, and the division a real villain.

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I get that they are going for the lights out thing with Omega and Moxley, but its a bad idea at this point.  Cody v Jericho is the hottest thing in the company and should be the main event slot.  You're either going to blow the crowd up with Cody winning or piss them off if he doesn't.

What if it happens during “Intermission”? Then you don’t have to put it on last.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why they are bothering to be honest, they've certainly done enough Hardcore/Falls Count Anywhere/Whatever You Want to Call It matches on the show.

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Good thing Cody losing to Jericho won't be going on last then?

Mox beating the living daylights out of Omega would most certainly send me home happy,  Not sure about everyone else.

The build for this feels more like a respect match than a grudge match, though.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 4:58 AM, The Natural said:

You can see the case for a Chris Jericho or Cody Rhodes win for the AEW World Championship. Nice to have intrigue like that. Jericho's doing great work as Le Champion and Cody's face act is hot. Interesting seeing the end result.

one of my favorite things about AEW so far is simply that it is new and different and, thus, I don't know what their calculus is for these sorts of situations.

now, I think that's also the internal pressure on themselves, since this is their first PPV/supercard since getting the weekly television spot.  In many ways, both good and ill, Full Gear will be AEW teaching us what kind of wrestling company they are and what their promotional/booking philosophy is.

We know, or at least feel like we know, what WWE's approach to long term storytelling is, after decades of one particular person's specific artistic vision.  In one corner, a charismatic and famous veteran heel who has a certain level of mainstream, outside-the-wrestling-bubble celebrity and all the potential new interest he can generate for your show.  In the other corner, a top babyface who's as close to red hot as you've got AND is committed to staying with your wrestling company for the duration (because he's part-owner).

Does the heel need the belt more to draw mainstream attention and draw the lapsed wrestling fan?  Or perhaps more importantly for a new company, finally start teaching the American audience that "Wrestling" =/= "WWE"?  Or can he be just as effective in this role without the belt?

Is the top face so over without the belt [and credible as a "savior of American wrestling for people sick of WWE and starved for the alternative?"] that having him win the belt is redundant?  Or does he and the company need the denouement of him going over in order to keep him red hot going into a future where AEW necessarily stops having the novelty factor of being new/different/alternative/etc. and its existence becomes normal and mundane and the audience honeymoon phase ends?  And in this particular case, does the owner of the company putting the belt on himself send the bad message that this is just TNA all over again?  Or is that not a concern because the audience accepts Cody as a face in a way that Jarrett as heel never was/never could be?

what kind of company is AEW going to be and what do they want to tell us they are in their first TV-promoted supercard?

And that's the fun thing, at least this first time.  We don't know how AEW thinks is best to handle this scenario. 

"WWE logic" has clearly chosen mainstream heel star (Brock Lesnar) over presumptive top babyface, repeatedly, in the closest analogue to this scenario

But we don't know what "AEW logic" is, yet.  Nor do we know how being brand new (vs. WWE being old and having all the momentum of effectively being a Generic Trademark w.r.t. American Pro Wrestling) affects their calculus. And that's kinda fun.

[the other thing I like about AEW is the pure nostalgia-gasm of hearing Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross call wrestling again, and their ring/stage appears consciously "brighter" than even Smackdown but especially Raw.  And one of those things that's hard to notice or even describe until you see it, but AEW's cameras seem to be in different positions?  I feel like I'm seeing "WCW camera angles" again, especially during intros, if that makes any sense.]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I don't see them booking a loss for Cody under those kind of stips on the first PPV that really feels like a big deal.  You may as well have booked him in a Loser Leaves Town match.

Cody loses, after a few months of frustration over not being able to challenge despite his win-loss record, he turns heel when he awards AEW’s TV Championship to himself in its debut.

They can do Jericho/Rhodes in the middle of the card and do a run-in heavy Dusty finish with Cody winning and then reverse the decision later before the YB/PnP to help build towards the Match Beyond.

Moxley's never going to be in title contention if all his matches are unsanctioned.

3 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Moxley's never going to be in title contention if all his matches are unsanctioned.

I'd expect that will eventually be the angle.  "I have the best record, give me championship bout" vs "yeah but Unsanctioned Wins don't count, talk a walk" seems like a natural modernization of the old "ducking the worthy challenger" storyline.  Or at least their narrative excuse for keeping Mox out of the title picture until they're ready to have him in it.

"Never" is a long time in wrestling, and rules are made to be broken at dramatically satisfying moments (this will also apply, after a long time, to Cody's "never challenge again" stipulation)

In the mean time you can work the marks encourage the fans to write letters emails to the championship committee and providing free market research to the company on when the fans actually WANT Cody or Moxley to win the belt and everyone can have fun participating in an old school territorial angle in the modern era and creating a mailing list for targeted advertising of AEW Merchandise

• Like 3

Whatever the order of the lineup is, it would be a mistake not to put Cody Vs. Jericho last. That’s the hottest match on this show. Omega Vs. Moxley will have all the props, I just don’t think they’ll get the emotional investment from the fans that they’ll get for the title match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Whatever the order of the lineup is, it would be a mistake to put Cody Vs. Jericho last. That’s the hottest match on this show. Omega Vs. Moxley will have all the props, I just don’t think they’ll get the emotional investment from the fans that they’ll get for the title match.

You can't do a Lights Out match 3rd from the top of the card.

I mean, you can. But it doesn't make any fucking sense.

If you are getting a new champion, then that should go last. Emotional-super-babyface-cry-hand-raise, credits. If you’re getting a screwy non-finish or cheating win, then it shouldn’t go last. Get the fans to boo the bad guys, have a fun back and forth, and end with giving the fans fun violent fun.

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Don’t mind us. We’re just gonna shut the lights off real quick and all turn around. We’ll be back in twenty.

• Haha 2

Oh, also, I decided weeks ago that, as much as I'm enjoying the show, I'm not spending fifty bucks on the ppv.

Then I spent all day thinking about Cody's promo, and I ordered the fucking thing.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Casey said:

What if the lights “malfunction”? Voilà, Lights Out Match. The Athletic State rule book doesn’t say anything about when a match can be unsanctioned after the lights go out. Wasn’t half the Beware of Dog card thrown out because part of the PPV was competed in the dark? Same thing could very well happen here.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs