DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear - 11/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

The first AEW PPV of the TV era is a couple of weeks away.  The card so far:

FOR THE AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Chris Jericho (c) vs. Cody

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Riho (c) vs. Emi Sakura

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP -- SCU (c) vs. Lucha Bros vs. Private Party

UNSANCTIONED MATCH (result will not count towards win/loss record) - Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega

Santana & Ortiz vs. The Young Bucks

Adam Page vs. PAC

Bea Priestley vs. Britt Baker

*Shawn Spears vs. Joey Janela

*Dustin Rhodes vs. Jake Hager

--

* - Probable

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Would like too see MJF vs Sammy G

I would like to see if the other reason we haven’t seen MJF(Other than his injury) is because he’s gone under additional training like Sammy did. But regardless I don’t know if those two can mesh since both are total heels. It’d be a Shawn Vs. Martel situation.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

It will be real interesting to see the ppv numbers after having 6 weeks of prime time tv to promote it. Double or nothing did 112k, and all out did ~100k. So does this do like 200k? Or will it be like 130k which would have to be a disappointment? 

42 minutes ago, matt925 said:

It will be real interesting to see the ppv numbers after having 6 weeks of prime time tv to promote it. Double or nothing did 112k, and all out did ~100k. So does this do like 200k? Or will it be like 130k which would have to be a disappointment? 

Just my opinion, but I don't think we'll see a huge increase in PPV buys. It's not something the average viewer has had to think about since the Network started (or if their non-WWE fans, even longer) and some might have trouble getting over the additional cost. I'd say 150k is good, 200 is great. I have absolutely nothing to base this on.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 10:08 AM, Craig H said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a rematch between SCU and the Lucha Bros. and maybe Riho vs Sakura. Probably a 6 man tag of some sort.

For a company that is priding itself on being ant-WWE, running SCU/Lucha again a week and a half after the tournament ended would be the most WWE thing possible for them to do.  

I feel like a 4 way or something with SCU on commentary to establish a contender would make a lot more sense and still get them on the show.  

8 minutes ago, CSC said:

For a company that is priding itself on being ant-WWE, running SCU/Lucha again a week and a half after the tournament ended would be the most WWE thing possible for them to do.  

I feel like a 4 way or something with SCU on commentary to establish a contender would make a lot more sense and still get them on the show.  

The most WWE thing would be re-running the match this week. If they did a re-match at the PPV you can make the argument that Lucha Bros. got robbed and the re-match would be split up by a show in between. Plus, the other "WWE" thing to do would be to do a match on a PPV and then immediately run it back on the very next night on Raw.

16 hours ago, CSC said:

Well, they’re doing this on Dynamite instead. But it’ll be a three way between Hybrid 2, Dark Order and Private Party. So I guess that could set up a potential challenger to SCU for Full Gear - but you’ve gotta imagine the Lucha Bros are due a rematch because of the circumstances of SCU’s win last week.

Edited by Casey

I'll take a rematch.  The most WWE thing they could do, if we're being LIKE serious, would be to bury any talent receiving strong reaction that isn't in their plans.  And then to have Cody or one of the EVPs 'shoot' about said person not having 'It'.   

On 11/1/2019 at 1:01 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’d be a Shawn Vs. Martel situation.

I saw that not too long ago and was ridiculously entertained by it all.  So I would definitely be down for that.

We're going to the show and as excited as we are for it I just hope it doesn't go 3 1/2+ hours like the past shows.

Cody's amazing promo last night pretty much telegraphed the finish of the main event, IIRC.. 

I kinda figured he'd win the belt at Full Gear, but I did not expect him to take an "If I don't win, I won't challenge anymore," stance.  It's impossible for them to book a loss for Cody now, screwjob or otherwise.

Sad, because Jericho is a great heel champ.  I haven't laughed this much in years..  You can always count on Chris to remind you that comedy has a legit place in pro wrestling.

I'm stoked for TAFKA LAX vs. the Bucks, but I am digging the stip on the Moxley vs. Omega match.  Now Mox can beat the living shit out of Kenny and Kenny's win-loss record can still be preserved.   A smart way to make sure you protect both guys.

Plus, the gimmick of unsanctioned matches needs to be used more often.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I don’t think it’s a guaranteed Cody is winning it honestly. I mean this build is making him want me to see him win it. Usually this is the stip that says it’s happening. But they could legit go thru with him losing, and the stip becomes permanent. It still doesn’t stop him from going for whatever the potential secondary title is.

What could happen is, that Cody wins, but he wins by judge’s decision. Cody accepts the win, but he won’t accept winning the belt like that, and vacates the belt. I like the idea of a naïve face doing that. Thing is I’m in a small minority. So you can’t do it under any circumstance. Fans would prefer Cody losing it clean, than doing something like that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t think it’s a guaranteed Cody is winning it honestly. I mean this build is making him want me to see him win it. But they could legit go thru with him losing, and the stip becomes permanent. It still doesn’t stop him from going for whatever the potential secondary title is.

I don't see them booking a loss for Cody under those kind of stips on the first PPV that really feels like a big deal.  You may as well have booked him in a Loser Leaves Town match.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's why someone needs to turn on Cody, and cost him the match. ?

Besides, it's not like that's written in stone (or, uh, on paper). It's a personal declaration from Cody. 

That’s right, the contract was signed last week with a real lawyer present. They can’t just write up those papers with 3 days to go.

Regardless, doing that would make him less of a face in my eyes, if he went back on his word.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Regardless, doing that would make him less of a face in my eyes, if he went back on his word.

That's why he'd be an honorable face and stay true to his word. Behind the scenes, I'm sure Cody wants to be that guy that doesn't make himself the champion of a company he helped found.

But when Cody turns heel eventually... yeah, time to break that word.

• Like 1

Which is why he's going to lose. The champ can then hide from him because of it until Cody turns heel. Then Cody can break his word and win the title via all of the shenanigans. 

Edit: yeah what he said. 

Edited by Oyaji

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's why he'd be an honorable face and stay true to his word. Behind the scenes, I'm sure Cody wants to be that guy that doesn't make himself the champion of a company he helped found.

I also think that Cody would rather not follow the tradition of the money mark also being the champion, but you can't follow a promo like that with a loss and you certainly can't send the crowd home unhappy on what will probably be your watershed PPV.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think at this point Cody would rather Matt Jackson gouge his eye out with his deer antlers, than to turn heel.

This too.   I think that Cody is at that stage in his career where he's thinking about legacy and lineage and probably wants to work face like his dad did for as long as he can.

Which is weird because Dusty was a natural face even when he tried to work heel and Cody is a natural heel even when he tries to work face.

Edited by J.T.

Maybe eventually when the fans turn on Cody years later. Then mayyyyyyybe he can stop dyeing his hair, and paint stubble on his face to become a heel. But right now Cody is just too good at his role as the only real babyface in wrestling today. That’s fucking unbelievable honestly when you think about it. The closest is Tim Storm, who’s currently on the fence, but I have a feeling I know where that story is going, and Tim will be firmly a face in the future.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1