DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/30/19 Judge(s) Dredd

LoneWolf&Subs

OK, now having seen that Ric Flair Starrcade 1993 video, I can see what AEW was going for with the limo vignette. But I think that one sort of led into it better because you see Ric Flair at home and hugging his family goodbye. 

That sort of made it more cinema verite-ish for me. I think if they saved something like that for Full Gear, and sort of show a video of Cody with his family a bit, sort of like a UFC event vlog it would've worked a little better.

Edited by TheVileOne

I’m just going to say this Brandi angle has the signs of being quite horrible. Doubly so if the intent is to get her over as a wrestler.

That sort of made it more cinema verite-ish for me. I think if they saved something like that for Full Gear, and sort of show a video of Cody with his family a bit, sort of like a UFC event vlog it would've worked a little better

I agree they could’ve done that on the PPV. Maybe even done it with both wrestlers at the same time Cody & Tony have a heart to heart in one limo reminiscing about the past. Then in the other limo you have Jericho with Jenn Streger trying to hit on her by mixing drinks, and just being an overall creep. Oh, and you can have Jericho tell the driver to stop at a Outback Steakhouse. It’d be a great way of showing the opposites.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I'm just happy that segment wasn't horrible.  It was long and meandered, but it wasn't not entertaining.  It's hard to compare to Flair.  He could make almost anything watchable.  Thanks forposting this fun vid:

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The Brandi video didn't bother me so much.  I heard Meltzer compare it to that horrible Impact angle (which I only saw clips of as I fast forwarded), but I think this will play out a lot different.  I didn't have to suspend my disbelief - it's a music video not 'reality'.  I see this like a band making a somewhat corny gothy music video.  That said, I get the wariness over this kind of thing, but my hope is Brandi is recognizing her short comings as an actual wrestler while realizing her true talents as a fantastic manager.  And that it leads to managing Awesome Kong on a run at Riho.  I'm also curious to see if Jamie Hayter reemerges, and that there was some reason that Brandi would attack her.    

More importantly, so happy to see Shida back.  That knee off the chair was maybe the hot spot of Wednesday night.  I also thought Shanna looked a ton better than most of the division, so kudos to her on the new 3 year deal.  Please send Allie, Penelope Ford, and Sadie Gibbs to a developmental center immediately.  Nyla and Britt too.    

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Brandi video didn't bother me so much.  I heard Meltzer compare it to that horrible Impact angle (which I only saw clips of as I fast forwarded), but I think this will play out a lot different. 

Hell, those segments are the only Impact segments I've given a shit about in years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Hell, those segments are the only Impact segments I've given a shit about in years.

I was about to say! When I heard Dave complain about the angle and compare it to the one from Impact I thought, "that's like a stand out angle from Impact and it was entertaining."

I thought Dave's criticisms as a whole were pretty weak and what Dave wants from AEW is NJPW-esque, but I don't think he understands that won't sell that well in the US. Plus, not everything is going to be perfect. As long as the good outweighs the bad then I'm good.

2 hours ago, FakeWorker said:

Allie's been wrestling for fourteen years. She ain't getting any better.

I know next to nothing about her, but that's kinda shocking.  I thought she was at most a couple years in.  Knowing that I'd have to agree with you.

As for that Impact angle - obviously to each their own.  This angle would be hard to argue with if it happened in Lucha Underground or some promotion where there was no 'reality', but moving from that segment to something based in 'reality', as Impact did, is a bit much to ask of the audience.  On the other hand, an odd Brandi music video vignette doesn't ask me to suspend my disbelief passed the 'reality' of the show.  Especially considering it was placed during a Halloween episode.  Again, hope this leads to Brandi being a manager of the Awesomest Kong.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know this would just end up in Terry unretiring again. Think of the man's health, please...

Funk needs to have one more match against Ric Flair, the never before seen double casket lumberjack match. The lumberjacks are Joey Ryan's cavalcade of cocksmen from ALL IN. Unfortunately for Flair and Funk, they're outnumbered and eventually succumb to the cock. They're both wheeled away in the caskets, never to be seen or heard from again until Ric Flair shows up at the next Saudi Blood Money show to face Hulk Hogan because most of the WWE roster has refused to go back.

First AEW show I didn’t enjoy.  

-Proud and Powerful (Which is a terrible name btw, reminds me of one of those cringe texts list where a guy bragged  about being a bad boy and him and his friends call themselves ‘The Mischief Kings’) beating up RNR was like one of those awful WWE segments where the bad guys beat up some old wrestlers and NO one comes out to help them until way too late I’m sure there will be some BTE segment where they show the Bucks were far away by why did none of the other faces come out before the power bomb?

-That Rick and Morty match was like one of those WWE KFC or Sonic segments. Bad, pointless “corporate synergy”.   If the goal is to be a WWE alternative, dont repeat them at their cringiest.  I like R&M but this sucked.  

-Tony/Cody stuff took too long, didn’t really do anything to build up the match and was clunkily paced, leaving th crowd restless .  

-The Omega thing was awful and left the bulk of the fans confused.  

-The Librarian character is pretty lame but the whole point of him is for a face to get over by beating him up.  Using him for Moxley is pointless when he’s one of the most over guy on the show.  Moxley coming out and cutting essentially the same promo he cut in the “behind closed doors” segment was pretty pointless.  

-I’ll be honest, I skipped most of the contract signing.  The beat down was good.  

-Main was okay but felt short and a little anticlimactic considering some of the stuff these guys were kicking out of in their the earlier matches.  

Whereas the first few AEW shows felt really good and different, this one felt like a mediocre Smackdown.  Disappointing.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 2:49 PM, Oyaji said:

I love zany horror shit in wrestling so I don't even think this is a criticism, but that Brandi vignette looked like it was straight out of a bad early 2000s UPN teen show. 

FTFY.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I agree Proud and Powerful sounds like Dove's new line of feminine hygiene products working an empowerment gimmick like they've done in the past.

I don't mind the name and I think it plays to the Brown Pride thing. LAX is definitely a better name though.

• Like 2