DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/30/19 Judge(s) Dredd

LoneWolf&Subs

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Still digging the shit out of the Okada zoom out for the big hug.  Can someone please explain Cassidy's gimmick?  I can never figure out if he's supposed to be hung over or just lazy

He’s like so cool, he’s ice cold. He’s like that story that people used to tell about Scott Hall walking into the gym, doing one rep, and leaving. Then all the boys would be astonished that he had the great physique he had. The best comparison I’ve always come up with is take the Fonz, Ryan Gosling in Drive, and Jughead Jones, then mix them together to get Orange Cassidy. I’m not saying he should be the top guy, but you show somebody a picture of him, and the response would be “Is that handsome guy their world champ?”. Guy has a star, but sadly the size of a BUSHI.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

Another very fun, solid show!

• I thought Page/Guevarra was great, better than I thought it would be tbh. Neither guy pulled any of their more aggravating spots and the finish was well done. 
  • Shanna/Shida was great too. Shida especially seems well suited for that platform. I don't know if they have to run all joshi wrestlers in their women's division for a bit until they fill out the rest but I'm not opposed to it.
  • SCU/Lucha Bros felt rushed and as such they missed a few things and the ending was flat. I'd be into a rematch at the PPV though, there's a better match waiting to happen.
  • The contract signing and the Mox promo were good stuff too but Jericho is on another level right now. "Calm down, hillbillies" made me laugh even though it shouldn't. The parking lot beat down ruled too, that car dent was indeed well done.

Looking forward to Full Gear although oddly not so much to Omega/Moxley. As soon as they made it unsanctioned I was less invested but it should still be good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The best comparison I’ve always come up with is take the Fonz, Ryan Gosling in Drive, and Jughead Jones, then mix them together to get Orange Cassidy.

Now I want to see Orange Cassidy fuck up like 18 hamburgers and a chocolate malted on BTE. Or alternatively, have it turn out that he is a time traveler from the 29th century sent back to make sure that the history we know is kept in line by whatever actions he takes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

Who do we think the 2019 equivalent of Eddie haskel, Patti Mullen and Jason hervey will be as judges?

I’m not too up to date on a lot of TV. So for Hervey I’d with kid who plays Young Sheldon. For Haskel I’d go with Tom F’N Selleck. WWE’s fans will have no choice but to tune with that one. Finally for Patti Mullen you have to go with two time AVN winner Angela White.

• Haha 1

Another strong effort resulting in excellence executed.  Highlighted by the likes of Page and Guevarra, Santana, Ortiz,, Shida, Luchas-SCU, Orange Cassidy, and the Elite-H2/Sabian six man!  Also, these AEW crowds are not only recepetive, but there to truly help make the show.  Like the Charleston crowd, I really wanted to see the Luchas crowned.  That said, Kazarian and Scorpio Sky are a fantastic tandem and worthy champions.  One small complaint for the ridiculous Omega snap of the fingers pratfall.  It only took me entirely out the match for a minute tho, and then back to the stellar action.  The Cody-Tony limo ride meandered, but I did not dislike what I was watching.  Peter Avalon speaks some pretty lame trash, but he's a nice target.  I like seeing Moxley fired up and able to say what's on his mind.  Not crazy about the choice to 'unsanction' the match, but whatever, small detail, I have no doubt Moxley-Omega will deliver.

Jericho and Cody are on fire.  This may be the first time I've paid per view since the second One Night Stand. 

What's up with the Ibushi reference?  I liked that strange video.  Am I to believe that the Golden Lovers could reunite in an AEW ring?  Brandi video was also strange.  I hope Brandi takes to the role of mostly manager/wrestler (90-10).  She's a fantastic second and solid promo. Her tremendous talent is somewhat overlooked when she steps into the ring.  

I'm with Godfrey...

9 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Shanna/Shida was great too. Shida especially seems well suited for that platform. I don't know if they have to run all joshi wrestlers in their women's division for a bit until they fill out the rest but I'm not opposed to it.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I say this every week but what an awesome show. Crowd was loud and the show flew by.

The matches were all good. I enjoyed Shanna vs Shida, The Best Friends 6 way and The Tag Finals the most.

Ricky Morton taking a fucking powerbomb through the stage.

The Rick and Morty stuff was cool. I thought it was cool that Rick and Morty were on the Turnbuckle Pads. The costumes were cool and having Rick and Morton over the pa was the best way to do it. But I would have loved if Rick Steiner had a promo with the cartoons on a screen and challenging them to a fight in the middle of the ring.

Just here to say that the striking was top notch tonight, especially in the first two matches (and especially the chair-assisted knee strike) and that Omega is the clear heel in the feud with Mox based on his unabashed Undertale fandom.

(I mostly kid on that last one.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly

I think the Ibushi thing was simply Omega having some fun and acknowledging his history and his golden lover. I mean Ibushi and Omega have this connection that transcends existence. It transcends dimensions. Of course Omega would pay tribute to him. It also wouldn't surprise if Omega put it in there to deliberately get fans talking about it and ask why it's there. 

Omega does creative little gaming-esque things for his character from time to time. He does creative, outside the box stuff but through his gamer, anime fanboy lens. It's done with that unconventional Japanese style you don't typically see in western storytelling.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

The Rick and Morty stuff was cool. I thought it was cool that Rick and Morty were on the Turnbuckle Pads. The costumes were cool and having Rick and Morton over the pa was the best way to do it. But I would have loved if Rick Steiner had a promo with the cartoons on a screen and challenging them to a fight in the middle of the ring.

I loved Morty telling them to be careful after the intro. "Don't hit your head or anything!"

I'd never watched it before but gave it a shot and I'm digging it. So, mission accomplished.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

I loved Morty telling them to be careful after the intro. "Don't hit your head or anything!"

I'd never watched it before but gave it a shot and I'm digging it. So, mission accomplished.

Rick and Morty is hilarious. I really should watch it more than I do.

• Like 2

I doubt that Jericho/Cody will go to the judges...but it's great twist for the first PPV world title defence and I'm assuming that there will be judges for all PPV world title matches moving forward.

So who will play the "Terry Funk as a judge role" down the line? Dustin? Is there anyone not in the company now that could play that part and be a credible challenger?

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I doubt that Jericho/Cody will go to the judges...but it's great twist for the first PPV world title defence and I'm assuming that there will be judges for all PPV world title matches moving forward.

Who says they have to go to a time limit draw? Make it so that they go to the judges if there's a count-out, DQ or some other fuck finish. Say an accidental foul. Treat it like Jericho can't risk getting himself DQ'd or counted out if he thinks he might be trailing on the cards, so to speak.

I think Meltzer is right in that this is their old school way of saying "there will be a winner to this match." Just because they announced judges for it doesn't mean it's going to be a 60 minute broadway.

I will post it here since it fits with the discussion but do note that the PPV now has its own thread

They have announced there will be three judges for the Chris Jericho vs. Cody main event that will decide the winner if they go the time limit. If the idea is real sports, judges make sense. But they’ve already done two time limit draws and a few title matches with no judges. It would be one thing if they did a 60 minute match, and then came back with judges, as that would be logical progression booking. Because now, it would open up the question why here and why not always, unless the idea is to have judges for all title matches going forward. In addition, Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega will be a lights out match. Besides meaning no DQ, that also means it goes on last. The idea is the show is over after Jericho vs. Cody, and then the lights are dimmed to tell people to go home. But they don’t and then the two guys settle their differences after the show unsanctioned

From the WON that was just posted

I will say that if we don't get a Funk as judge piledriving Flair at some point then I'll be disappointed.

But for now, I think MJF throws in the towel for Cody ala what Cody almost did to Kenny.

Edited by Craig H