DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/30/19 Judge(s) Dredd

LoneWolf&Subs

Glad to see Hikaru Shida arrive to TV, she looked great as expected. Hadn't seen Shanna in a few years but she looked awesome here, nice surprise. Cody and Jericho are both such great characters, love the contract signing. Fun six mans, Omega's intro ruled. Great fired up promo from Moxley. Surprised to see SCU win the titles but good for them and a sense of unpredictability looking back at the tournament. I half expected a DQ finish to set up a rematch at the PPV but this was good.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I half-watched and eventually slept through most of this so need to it watch it again, but:

This had a lot of weird shit in it. The video game thing completely baffled me. The looooong segment of Tony and Cody just talking. Rick and Morty cosplay, Street Fighter cosplay (yes I know it is Halloween). I kind of felt like a confused old person, maybe I needed that nap.

That Tony and Cody segment was weird and did go on too long. 

I was fine with the Halloween show and if they want to make that a theme for like future shows. Like make it so there's a bit of wackiness for a Halloween event. 

I will admit pacing was not quite as good this week. I still think the booking team is trying to figure out how space out the promos and the matches so it's more of an in-ring product. 

• Like 1

If they're gonna cosplay WCW on Halloween we need blood too (honestly I have been hankering for this since day one). Ricky Morton was right there to get busted up and contribute to the cause, but we get a powerbomb onto some foam mats, no fair. 

Okay it wouldn't really be WCW but it would be Southern at least

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, I sure wish they didn't get so many digs in at WWE during the contact signing... /s

An ellipses followed by an "/s" is overkill. No need to unload with both barrels, friendo!

I'm pleased they kept in their lane tonight. But in both men's last live promos, they each took time to take a knock at the other company. So they can take the hit, because both men are prone to that "too cool for school" cheap shot nonsense. 

I'm sorry that you're so wound up that someone dared to have a chuckle at their expense, but don't you dare call me a WUM. Your being WU'd is on you, pal! 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Sad 1

I like that they brought out the Rock N' Rolls to get killed because over IN THE OTHER COMPANY...    they would have squashed an up and coming talent and nothing would have come from it.  

This was another good show.  Couple segments I didn't love but the contract signing was outstanding fucking work between all involved and I love that Hager is using the nut shot as a game ender now.  

Women's match was pretty damn good this week and the tag titles match was great despite me personally wanting the Lucha Bros. to win. 

Other thoughts:

• Adam Page came off well tonight. Still the best theme in the company, so he's got automatic goodwill just for that. And unless I missed something checking my phone, did we not see a single SSP? Progress?! He wrestled big, and Guevara made him look big. With that hot opening match crowd, this is probably the closest he's come to looking like that top guy they're grooming him to be.
  • I'm not super excited to see Jericho wrestle at this point, but they talked me into it. Jericho is still operating among the best with his verbiage. Very strong segment. The limo dent was way too obviously fake, but the assault was good.
  • The Cody making his way to the arena stuff was good, but the segment in the back of the limo ran was too long and felt aimless.
  • Moxley is the man. If you're not coming motivated against him at this point, he's going to eat you alive.
  • Cosplay does nothing for me. I don't get the video game stuff. Kenny, you're a star. Consider coming to the ring dressed as yourself. 
  • Angelico and Evans continue to be great, and I wish they got more to do.
  • Ortiz and Santana are very good and very clearly the uncrowned tag champs. 

Strong show overall, but not their best. But I'm pretty invested in the top three singles matches at Full Gear, so they've probably got my money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

The one thing that bugged me as first was AEW going to ANOTHER lights out match for Kenny vs Moxley. This is their 3rd one now. It just seems very excessive.

But then Moxley cut that promo and I felt fine with everything.

I see that as their way of having the match go last, because everyone thinks it’s the real main event (although the build of Cody vs Jericho has made it a lot more interesting. Also agree, liked the opening segment but not the limo ride). Cody vs Jericho is the main event and then Kenny vs Moxley is the real main event. I think it’s a good way to explain it. 

I love Lucha bros but that’s a cool outcome. This way young bucks can enter the title scene because they shouldn’t have another match with Lucha bros for a while. And they can go singles. 

Really fun show. Great women’s match. I couldn’t hear the Brandi segment because I was  dealing with my little one, but it looked cool. I’ll rewatch that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I see that as their way of having the match go last, because everyone thinks it’s the real main event (although the build of Cody vs Jericho has made it a lot more interesting. Also agree, liked the opening segment but not the limo ride). Cody vs Jericho is the main event and then Kenny vs Moxley is the real main event. I think it’s a good way to explain it. 

I love Lucha bros but that’s a cool outcome. This way young bucks can enter the title scene because they shouldn’t have another match with Lucha bros for a while. And they can go singles. 

Really fun show. Great women’s match. I couldn’t hear the Brandi segment because I was  dealing with my little one, but it looked cool. I’ll rewatch that. 

They can't keep doing that though. Also, in no world should Kenny vs Moxley go on after Cody vs Jericho. Cody is easily the biggest face in the company and Jericho is the biggest heel. That's more important than whatever feud Kenny and Moxley have. 

I do wonder if before Moxley's interview they changed the "lights out" stipulation because they had Moxley going on about how the match is unsanctioned. I also noticed that earlier in the night the match graphic said it was a lights out match, but then later in the night the match graphic didn't show "lights out" any more.

BTW, all the props in the world for the smoke and mirrors with the car dent. On first viewing, it really looks like Dustin's head is what dents the car. On replay, you can tell it's the knee from Hager that dents the car, but then the dude has the frame of mind to block the shot only showing a quick glance at the dent until he rams Dustin's head into the car and then you really see the dent. That was very well done.

AEW really has the little things nailed down. Now they just need to figure out a show format so that less matches go on during commercial breaks or so the main event keeps being left with little time. They used up so much time earlier in the night that we didn't even get to see the entrances for SCU and the Lucha Bros. By the time the bell rang it was 9:46 or 9:47. They barely had 12 minutes to get that match in and they should have had 20. Maybe they try to work something out in the future where they front load some commercials to then air the main event uninterrupted. Raw and SmackDown have done that on occasion and I always appreciated that, but it happens so seldom that I wonder if that's just too much of a hassle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Adam Page came off well tonight. Still the best theme in the company, so he's got automatic goodwill just for that. And unless I missed something checking my phone, did we not see a single SSP? Progress?! He wrestled big, and Guevara made him look big. With that hot opening match crowd, this is probably the closest he's come to looking like that top guy they're grooming him to be.

I don’t know what they did since the first episode, but Sammy actually looked polished in the ring last night. That was a real surprise in how real good it turned out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they're gonna cosplay WCW on Halloween we need blood too (honestly I have been hankering for this since day one). Ricky Morton was right there to get busted up and contribute to the cause, but we get a powerbomb onto some foam mats, no fair

Okay it wouldn't really be WCW but it would be Southern at least

Never forget, that WCW did it first.

tumblr_o33u17QR4A1sdqajoo1_400.gifv

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dirty J. said:

The Hager beatdown was brutal. Knee the people!

Question to the people who’ve played Undertale? Did that character who was “Talking” in Kenny’s entrance video always look like New Japan’s Lion’s Mark logo in Undertale?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Pacing was off a bit, but this was still a pretty good show.  I will admit that I was more NXT than AEW last night in the Picture in Picture battle.

Jericho is such a slimy, chicken shit, arrogant late 1970's throwback main event title holder.  I fucking love him.  That's how you sell the importance of being champion.

I love the Luchas so I am a bit bummed that SCU are the tag champs.  That match really did cement SCU in as the crew to beat, though.  Frankie Kazarian is still relevant in the near 2020's.  Whodathunkit? 

Good to SCU them put themselves in the AEW history books, but the belts will be going TAFKA LAX's way real soon and then the feud between them and the Bucks will kick into high gear.

Moxley and Eddie Kingston have obviously been exchanging e-mails.  Jon has appeared to have adopted Eddie's no bullshit gimmick and is just murdering dudes that don't come to the ring prepared for battle..  I'm glad he's returning to his crazy ass Dean Ambrose FCW roots.

I am not sure which move almost mad me shit myself more:  Kenny's OWA on North American soil or Hikaru's chair assisted knee strike.  WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE~?

It is like the Monday Night Wars all over again, only it's HUMP DAY~!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To me, it always sounded like they were calling Zbyszko "The Crusher", which has a better ring to it than "The Cruncher".

"If I can be serious for a minute"  Going back and watching 91 WCW I found that Larry didn't really slam the door, it was Arn all along!  Larry just held Barry's arm in place.  So in all actuality Arn should have been the Cruncher. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To me, it always sounded like they were calling Zbyszko "The Crusher", which has a better ring to it than "The Cruncher".

They gave Larry that nickname during the time in the Enforcers tag team gimmick when Larry's Brainbuster finsher aka The Cruncher was a protected death move and an automatic trip to the hospital.

I am a Brainbuster mark so I cannot hate on Larry's nickname being The Cruncher.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

They gave Larry that nickname during the time in the Enforcers tag team gimmick when Larry's Brainbuster finsher aka The Cruncher was a protected death move and an automatic trip to the hospital.

I am a Brainbuster mark so I cannot hate on Larry's nickname being The Cruncher.

I didn’t care for Larry prior to that run, but he did finally come into his own by making him a shadow of Arn, rather than his weird karate Bruno thing he did in AWA, and JCP. I wish more guys did what he did. That being guys who don’t look youthful, and dressing appropriately. Sami Callihan could benefit from something like that.

• Like 2

As always, random-ass stuff, good and bad...in no particular order and not trying to mention stuff already mentioned.

• The Moxley/Khan behind closed doors vignette was lame and it was rendered unnecessary by Moxley covering the exact same ground (  1) the match is unsanctioned and 2) that pisses me off because I won't have an official win over Omega) that Moxley covered in his promo later.  I do like Tony Khan only existing as a voice like Dr Claw, though
  • I actually like the Inner Circle members not coming out or interfering in other members' matches too much.  That's some lame ass NWO shit and it'll make it more impactful when it does happen
  • I don't care about another possible Golden Lovers reunion.  I want a Men of Low Moral Fiber reunion
  • Still digging the shit out of the Okada zoom out for the big hug.  Can someone please explain Cassidy's gimmick?  I can never figure out if he's supposed to be hung over or just lazy
  • I dug Excalibur putting over SCU as guys he wrestled 15 years ago who are somehow faster/better now
  • Ortiz only screamed THE BEST into the camera twice tonight, so maybe someone took my "half a valium" suggestion to heart
  • DVDVR friends, can we stop trying to make "WUM" happen when "troll" is right there?
  • Ross dialed back the bitterness a smidge tonight but he's seriously got to shit the fuck up about double teaming.  Cool double teams and spots are the house style.  Calling out something that goes directly what has already been established as "this is what we do here" is just so counterproductive.  There is no reason for the character of Jim Ross, AEW announcer, to be doing this.  Again, Ross and Schiavone are night and day.  Schiavone seems to enjoy it for what it is instead of shitting on it because it's not the one specific style he grew up with
  • Rey Fenix is fucking amazing
  • I loved the out of nowhere finish for the main
  • I was all set to bitch them out for starting the main with 17 minutes left in the show until they announced that they'd have an overrun on social media if necessary.  Schivone's gleeful "the hard drives are spinning!" was the best.

Edited by Technico Support