DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling "Throwback Throwdown" Spoilers for 11/26/19

thanks to whoever suggested i check this out, it was a lot of fun and well worth a watch. 

my favorite bits:

Rhyno becoming Frank the Butcher from Southpaw

the first ever double axe handle

johnny swinger being johnny swinger

jazzy fitbody

the stuff i liked less:

tommy dreamer being tommy dreamer

Rough Riders- i like the look/feel of this group, and feel like would work today in 2019, but presenting it as a stable in 1983 and having women beat men just rang untrue for me

p.s., cyrus made some mention of "Cowboy" Colt McCoy having a grandson that played football or something like that. who was he referring to?

• Like 1

I'm about half way through this and they should've covered up the arena sign with an IPWF banner or some kind of sponsor sign.  Suggesting that an Atari game has a commentary track is the most ridiculous thing so far.

Also, it really needed some kind of establishing scene with the office guys freaking out over not being able to find the turkey suit and D'Amore jumps up and says he's got an idea and takes off running through the AXS halls until he barges into a production room and tosses a kid a VHS tape and tells him to play it and the kid just looks around at his controls all confused.  Then the regular Impact open starts and then you hear a click and whir sound and some tracking lines appear and a 11/26/83 date on the bottom of the screen and then the IPWF show starts.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think the thing that was funny was seeing all these massively tattooed up wrestlers playing a 1983 character.  Like I have a hard time believing that a bunch of surfers from California would be completely covered like the Crist brothers are.   The only wrestler with a tattoo in the early 80's were the baddest and usually biggest of the business and they only had one or two not and entire back or arm covered in them.   but nothing you can do on that.  Just the way things are now

I loved Sexton constantly screaming THEY PUT THE FLAG ON THE COWBOY knowing that maybe 80% of the Impact crowd doesn't get that reference.  but it was a great Watts call back

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

• DreamBroken changed the title to Impact Wrestling "Throwback Throwdown" Spoilers for 11/26/19