DVDVR Message Board

The Outer Worlds thread

SirSmUgly

I put down the game for a day, and forgot that the corporate secrets were for the navkey back on the Groundbreaker. Gave both research documents back to that asshole, but got some coin out of it, and gave the schematics up (but got some coin for it as well), went back to Gladys, and.... disappointed her, and I also still can't afford to just outright buy the navkey. Tried going back to Roseway and killing both of the guys I gave everything to, hoping it would be on their bodies... no such luck. Good thing I saved right before I blew the first guy's head off.

So, I go back to the Groundbreaker. I see online that you can break into her safe if you crouch to the left and look behind the safe... that's a no go, because my lockpick skill or whatever is -5 shy of the requirement! Fuck. So, I go loot the hell out of the Rest 'n Go (in that room behind the cashier) and sell all of that loot plus a lot of the stuff I had in my inventory. BARELY had enough to afford the navkey, but I've got it now. All my sidequests and companion missions are done for the moment (or all occur on Monarch), so I'm putting it down until Monday night due to me working weekends.

--

Yeah, this game is like Fallout 3/New Vegas, but in space. And I love it. Don't get me wrong, I loved Fallout 4 too, but this is a lot better. Also, am I the only one that's counting this as head canon for New Vegas? One of the endings for F:NV with Mr. House was him wanting to launch ships into space to find new worlds or whatever... And the beginning of this game is only like 5 years after New Vegas...

Even if it's not true, and it isn't, it's some fun head canon. I mean, Moon Man would fit right into the world of Fallout.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I started playing this when I am not trying to take Xavier to the promised land. It hasn’t grabbed me yet, but I am not very far in it. 

The frame rate stutters mightily when you turn the camera or begin to move. Maybe it’s because I moved the right stick sensitivity way down from the default or something. 

The quests so far seem really manufactured in that evil corporation / graduate student lecturing way. I get it’s the current zeitgeist, but I hope the entire game has a little more nuance. 

On the positive front, it seems like a finished, polished game and that is a rare thing these days, unfortunately. 

I also love all the Fallout-esque signage around that makes it seem like a real world. 

I'm playing my character like a total dick. I normally play these games completely good, but I figured I would do it differently this time. So with that said, I tried throwing the main scientist dude you're working for under the bus as soon as I could, but it didn't matter. The other character I was talked to was like, "I really can't do anything with that information." I really came close to killing that character with my hammer...

I didn't though. Not yet anyway.

So a word of warning for you all:

Parvatti's quest glitched out for me and auto failed saying she died even though she is very much alive and still on the ship (not to mention selectable as a follower). Supposedly what causes this is talking to an NPC while your follower is climbing a ladder. Something about doing that gets your companion stuck in a loop climbing during your conversation with the NPC, then when you finish they "die". So make sure your followers have both feet on the ground before you get all chatty with the townsfolk. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dtazom/epilogue_companion_glitch/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/111229-parvati-was-killed-glitch-quest-that-gives-cattle-on-the-ship-causes/page/2/

I also ran into my first bug; when you're doing Felix's companion quest, you can talk to him between the first major action that you need to take to facilitate the quest and the second major action that you need to facilitate. If you do, the quest gets resolved as "Botched" and you can't complete it properly. Don't talk to Felix, even though it seems natural to do so, after you've completed the first major action in the quest until after you've done the full quest. 

• 2 months later...

The Nintendo Switch port of The Outer Worlds has been delayed.  Virtuos, the Chinese gaming company in charge of the port, is experiencing issues with the development team thanks to the coronavirus.

• 8 months later...

I started playing this since it's been on Game Pass for a long time, and it's...a game? It's threading an interesting needle through the likes of KOTOR, Fallout, Borderlands, and even a little bit of Bioshock (the latter two more aesthetically than in terms of play), but it's a game that distinctly feels like it's less than the sum of its parts, where all the others were more. I haven't gone too far - just got Nyoka - but I'm probably better off having played it this way rather than getting it for sale on Prime Day. 

I really liked Outer Worlds but I was pretty disappointed with how short it was. I loved all the companion characters, which is more than I can say about Fallout 3/New Vegas/4. This also might be because of my political leanings, but I loved how it was pro-worker (or you could choose that path anyway) and very anti-capitalist, etc etc. One of the few games where I will revisit it eventually to get the platinum trophy (and the length of the game definitely helps with that choice).

I bought it a few weeks ago and knocked it out, I think it was maybe like $20 or something, I can't remember. I'm not mad that I spent money on it at all. I guess with Xbox owning Bethesda Studios now is something I wouldn't have to worry about for Xbox/Game Pass, but I remember not liking that service a great deal since games aren't ALWAYS on there, they leave the service eventually in most cases (right?). I imagine it's the same with PS Now, which I also tried and wasn't thrilled with, but for different reasons (streaming games is NOT my ideal way of playing a game, especially with a data cap).

Y'all played the first DLC, Panic on Gorgon? It's really fun stuff. I bought the Season Pass when I heard there'd be two DLCs, and it was the first one of those that I've ever bought.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:08 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Obsidian does what Bethesdon't!

Here's a GB Quick Look if you need to be sold on the game, but watch out for any spoilers. 

Right now, I'm out here requisitioning shit from corporate mooks. Good times!

@Death From Abovepointed this out to me awhile ago and I see that no one has still noticed.

The Outer WORLDS thread starting with a video for Outer WILDS is gonna make me laugh forever

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh! I ended up buying the expansion pass a few weeks ago and I'm at the point where you choose who to side with in the Peril on Gorgon DLC. I'm at the last mission for the main storyline too but I figured I'd wait until I finished the DLC before finishing that off.

Some of the extra stuff from the first DLC was nice (getting an upgraded version of the assault rifle and hunting rifle) but not a major upgrade. I'm getting like 5,000 damage on sneak attacks now. If I don't finish it this weekend I might hold off until this downloads.

• 8 months later...

Just started playing this last week. Just go to Monarch and it's pretty fun so far. Combat seems really easy, however, my companions get knocked out really easily. I give them good armor and even take the perk to give them +5 armor stats yet they always seem to get downed quickly in a fight. Kind of annoying but otherwise I'm having a good time with the game.

Check their settings, I usually set them to be less aggressive since they always charge in and get knocked out.

Also check out the weapons you're giving them, certain characters are better with different types of weapons.

Parvati for life.

15 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Check their settings, I usually set them to be less aggressive since they always charge in and get knocked out.

Also check out the weapons you're giving them, certain characters are better with different types of weapons.

Parvati for life.

Yeah the weapons thing was throwing me off. I'd equip myself with something and the damage would be super high. Then I'd give it to a companion and it would drop for them. Took me a second to catch on to that. I'll use the tip about combat style too. I just leave it at "Mixed" for everyone but good idea to switch it up depending on the companion. I didn't think that mattered all that much but it probably does.