DVDVR Message Board

Deadwood

Halfaloaf

Agreed with the other guys on the dialogue. It's been years since I watched the show but I instantly thought here that it felt overdone in an artificial and showy way. That's not a complaint, just that I felt it drew attention to itself this time around.

There was a strange feeling for me when Doc and Al first meet. It felt a little Westworld like in that I got the impression that these characters hadn't existed for the past 13 years, that they had just been rolled out of storage to interact with each other again. Apart from being greyer, wrinklier, Trixie being pregnant and Sophia grown up it didn't feel like their world moved on much in the intervening years.

I didn't love the movie. I loved being back in that world, but it didn't feel like it resolved much. In fact, the ending just snuck up on me when I could've sworn there was probably half an hour left.

2 hours ago, Swiftian said:

Apart from being greyer, wrinklier, Trixie being pregnant and Sophia grown up it didn't feel like their world moved on much in the intervening years.

A railway, electricity, the Bullocks' kids, brick on buildings that didn't have brick in the series... Time had marched on in a lot of ways. 

Though you're spot on about the film not resolving much. Maybe some day people will realize the series ending was perfectly adequate. And that's not a knock on the movie. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Rewatching the movie, it really does feel like season 3 redux. Timothy Olyphant said the original plan years ago was to do 2 movies to wrap everything up. I think that would have been a better way to go out. Doing this movie and bringing Hearst back into it just felt too much like season 3 and unless they were going to go full Inglorious Bastards and write their own history, then any ending involving Hearst was going to feel flat.

If you think about it, all this movie added to officially close things out was:

Spoiler

Al dying, Seth finding some sort of peace, Jane finding her own peace, Trixie getting the bar, and those are probably the biggest ones I can think of.

It was still really good, but it felt like as much of a series finale as the season 3 finale.