DVDVR Message Board

Deadwood

Halfaloaf

Garret Dillahunt and the Double Role of Doom deserves special mention as well. He's a goddamned wizard chameleon with how distinct he makes each. I know people that have watched the show and didn't realize it was the same guy.

I watched the series for the first time a couple years back, and just found this out about 2-3 days ago. Blew my mind. And I'm generally the "hey that actor played so and so in such and such" guy. Chameleon is spot on.

I wish I hadn't read an interview before watching that season where it's talked about him being cast for the role of the geologist (too lazy to look up the character's name). I would like to have found out if I'd have noticed. I'm not really one to scour credits, so I don't think I would have.

To say that Deadwood is the all time great cast show would be accurate. In fact, if you want to take a quick overview of the Golden Age of TV, a show's quality is basically determined by the number of actors from Deadwood and actors from The Shield* they have on board. So... Justified wins?

* Except bloody Dexter. I mean, Jim Beaver and Kenny Johnson were good in it, but it still wasn't good.

I noticed and it was pretty distracting. Just because I wouldn't have expected a show like that to try to sneak an actor back into the cast. He did a great job making both characters completely different, but I still had to make an effort to disconnect one from the other.

Every time I saw Wolcott I was thinking "Ok, this isn't Jack in a disguise...is it?"

I saw an interview with McShane a few years ago when he was promoting something or other and he was asked about it, his answer was pretty adamantly "Dead, dead, dead. Moved on, not interested." Obviously money changes everything, but he didn't really seem that keen on the idea of returning to it, even for a wrap up movie.

• 2 years later...

Apparently, there is a movie called Southern Comfort where Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine fight their way out of a Louisiana swamp (with FRED WARD & BRION JAMES!).

WHY DIDN'T YOU MOTHERFUCKERS TELL ME THIS WAS A REAL THING?!?!?!

Apparently, there is a movie called Southern Comfort where Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine fight their way out of a Louisiana swamp (with FRED WARD & BRION JAMES!).

WHY DIDN'T YOU MOTHERFUCKERS TELL ME THIS WAS A REAL THING?!?!?!

Shit, I thought that movie was sorta well known. It's a late night/ early morning early 90's TV classic. At least in my circle

To make things even better, it was directed by Walter Hill... aka the guy who directed the pilot episode of Deadwood. This one was right in between him doing The Long Riders and 48 Hours. I haven't seen it myself, but it's said to be pretty good.

It's all that and then some.

Carradine plays the big city wise ass to Boothe's hardened, absolutely no fucks given Texas loner. They just deliver every scene.

An added bonus: T.K. Carter has the most "stereotypical black guy dies early" on-screen death I've ever seen.

• 2 years later...

Surprised this thread wasn't revived when the film(s) were made official...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/deadwood-movie-is-finally-happening-at-hbo-1129743

Once they were announced I decided to rewatch the series and was very sad as season one and two were nowhere near as good as I remembered. Season three though... jesus! How the hell/why did they cancel it based off the back of that?! If one and two weren't as good as I remembered, three was twice as good.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Surprised this thread wasn't revived when the film(s) were made official...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/deadwood-movie-is-finally-happening-at-hbo-1129743

Once they were announced I decided to rewatch the series and was very sad as season one and two were nowhere near as good as I remembered. Season three though... jesus! How the hell/why did they cancel it based off the back of that?! If one and two weren't as good as I remembered, three was twice as good.

Time again to curse John From.Cincinnati?