DVDVR Message Board

SDL on FS1 - 10/25/2019

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, nofuture said:

So weird for how bad all the Shorty G stuff is, he's definitely getting better and better reactions each week.

This is my entire issue with this. He's getting better reactions. Like was brought up, guy gets more tv time, more reactions. Gable is also a charismatic son of a bitch who can wrestle his ass off. And the IDEA of the shorty bullshit is a good one that people can get behind. That it doesn't matter what people say about you. It doesn't matter what people perceive as a flaw in you. Embrace who you are. Be you and don't let people get you down. Holy shit, it's a Be a Star gimmick.

Now that we got that out of the way:WHY THE HELL DOES THIS GROWN MAN CALL HIMSELF SHORTY G. Why the hell is he wearing that outfit? Kassius Ohno looks at him and says "Bro, you look stupid". If we absolutely HAVE to talk about how "short" he is(I'll be damned if he's not the same height as Ali in that picture), why can't he just be Chad Gable? It's not like that's not an easy name to chant! What fucking person is going to wweshop and saying "By golly, I want to purchase that new Shorty G shirt".

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

What fucking person is going to wweshop and saying "By golly, I want to purchase that new Shorty G shirt".

Probably kids who get picked on, since his whole inspirational message was geared towards him. Or just kids in general.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Probably kids who get picked on, since his whole inspirational message was geared towards him. Or just kids in general.

But i thought all the kids were watching AEW?

Shorty G is a stupid name sure but so is Big E. He made it work and Gable is so good I think he can too. Just needs to drop that Dawkins circa 2013 outfit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Bayley needs to demand to speak to The Manager more

I approve of her gradual progression towards what I assume is going to be Sensational Sherri levels of eyeshadow

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

This is my entire issue with this. He's getting better reactions. Like was brought up, guy gets more tv time, more reactions. Gable is also a charismatic son of a bitch who can wrestle his ass off. And the IDEA of the shorty bullshit is a good one that people can get behind. That it doesn't matter what people say about you. It doesn't matter what people perceive as a flaw in you. Embrace who you are. Be you and don't let people get you down. Holy shit, it's a Be a Star gimmick.

On the other hand, the guy's a stud athlete and former Olympian. He ain't Marko Stunt.

Gable in Sports Illustrated: “Vince finally realized, after me coming into his office over and over, listening to vignettes I created at home and reading pitches I wrote, that I’m not going away. I hated splitting up with Jason Jordan. He was my best friend in the world and we were having great matches. That was the point where I could have rolled over and died or waited for them to come up with something for me, but I didn’t do that—I came up with a new idea and pitched it every week. They didn’t necessarily run with a lot of those ideas, but it showed them they’ve got a guy who is hungry and ready to make an impact.”

Unless he had the worst pitches of all time, this is sad.

Edit: here's the link: https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/10/25/wwe-chad-gable-shorty-g-name-change

Edited by Godfrey

Everybody is giving "creative" crap for this Shorty G stuff, but have there been any reports saying who's idea all this is? Michael Hayes? Bruce Pritchard? Or maybe Chad Gable came up with it, including the horrible outfit, and he just has bad, cheesy taste. Not making excuses for the bad idea, but it has happened before where everybody crapped on a bad idea or bad booking or a bad gimmick name and it came out later that the talent was the one who came up with it. 

I suppose it's like the 'Fire Russo' meme, which was often chanted at bad creative that was apparently not directly from Russo - but somehow, someway, there always seemed to be a lot of that kind of stuff when Russo was around.

It may well be that Gable desperately pitched this, but leadership is about creating an environment were good ideas get actioned and bad ideas don't - therefore they have a level of accountability regardless of where the idea originally came from.

I wonder how often guys have been Stockholm Syndromed into thinking things like this came from them:

Ten years from now in shoot interview: Actually that was my idea. The way I remember it is I went to Vince and said Hey, Vince, you know what would really help me get over? If we took my single most glaringly obvious athletic weakness and make it the only thing anyone will every see or say about me for the rest of my career! And Vince was like "I like it!"

"There's no way that actually happened."

"That's the way i remember it."

Brodus Clay pops in: Yeah, I also had the idea to be a dinosaur who dances and couldn't fight! [dances away]

Edited by piranesi

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Isn’t Vince the same fucker who wanted to push PAC as his Mighty Mouse? To assume that Vince, and creative came up this with it is fan speculation, but it isn’t far off from the realities of creative.

Shit, this may be the Mighty Mouse gimmick finally coming to fruition. An undersized hero for the kids? That's Shorty G all over.

That opening segment was a blast. Rambling Flair and Hogan is gold. Thought Shorty & Ali came off like bigger deals here as part of Hulk's team. Laughed at Hogan's mocking of the opponents while announcing the six man "Not ichiban young boy Nakamura!" the Lesnar attack was also a highlight. Best stuff on SD in weeks.

• Like 1

Skipped this in favor of Shudder on Friday, but had the common sense to DVR it and watch while eating breakfast this morning.  Thank God for FF so that I could blast through the commercials.

Show was not the complete drizzling shits so I guess that's a win.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:28 PM, The Natural said:

Shorty G's outfit looks like a kit from lost property when you forgot to bring your own for PE.

Yeah, I was thinking he was the misshapen clone of Letterman from the Electric Company and a lost New Breed member.