DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 20: Maia vs. Askren (10/26/2019) - Kallang, Singapore (Singapore Indoor Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

EFmYp7wXkAAQmIL.jpeg?1569725651

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 20: Maia vs. Askren 
October 25, 2019
Kallang, Singapore (Singapore Indoor Stadium)

Demian Maia (170.5) vs. Ben Askren (171) - Maia, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:54)
Michael Johnson (156) vs. Stevie Ray (156) - Ray, DEC (majority)
Frank Camacho (155.5) vs. Beneil Dariush (156) - Dariush, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:02)
Ciryl Gané (239) vs. Don’Tale Mayes (250) - Gané, SUB (heel hook), R3 (4:46)   
Muslim Salikhov (171) vs. Laureano Staropoli (171) - Salikhov, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Randa Markos (115) vs. Ashley Yoder (115) - Markos, DEC (split)
Alex White (155) vs. Rafael Fiziev (155) - Fiziev, DEC (unanimous)
Enrique Barzola (146) vs. Movsar Evloev (146) - Evloev, DEC (unanimous)
Sergey Pavlovich (253) vs. Maurice Greene (250) - Pavlovich, TKO (punches), R1 (2:11)
Loma Lookboonmee (114) vs. Aleksandra Albu (116) - Lookboonmee, DEC (split)
Raphael Pessoa Nunes (264) vs. Jeff Hughes (254) - Nunes, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Ciryl Gané
Performance of the Night: Beneil Dariush
Fight of the Night: Demian Maia vs. Ben Askren

Attendance: 7,155

Cancelled Fights:
Greg Hardy vs. Jarjis Danho - Danho Removed From Bout 
Xiaonan Yan vs. Ashley Yoder - Injury to Yan (Foot) 
Ian Heinisch vs. Brad Tavares - Bout Nixed 
Julia Avila vs. Karol Rosa - Injury to Rosa (Knee) 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic

I'm surprised Loma Lookboonmee is getting a shot in the UFC. She's an atomweight with less than two years experience in pro MMA. Plus, I would say at this point she basically is mostly all muay thai. This is more a ONE signing than a UFC signing. I guess the UFC is trying to do something different.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

When I think of fighters taking big damage in two back to back fights, Ben Askren is up there. Robbie Lawler fucking slams Funky and hits him with punches, I thought he was briefly out from them. Ben Askren is then rendered stiff by Jorge Masvidal's running knee with nasty punches while KTFO in the UFC's fastest ever KO.

Edited by The Natural

Goid, I hope that Maia shows up surly and Ben comes to the ring with a chip on his shoulder looking to redeem himself from the Masvidal R1 KO loss. 

Being a classic Jiujutsu guy, I am totally stoked for what on paper looks to be a fucking epic chess match on the ground.   Both guys are totally capable of slapping on some slick subs and the guy fighting from the bottom may turn out to be the more dangerous man in the cage.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Goid, I hope that Maia shows up surly and Ben comes to the ring with a chip on his shoulder looking to redeem himself from the Masvidal R1 KO loss. 

Being a classic Jiujutsu guy, I am totally stoked for what on paper looks to be a fucking epic chess match on the ground.   Both guys are totally capable of slapping on some slick subs and the guy fighting from the bottom may turn out to be the more dangerous man in the cage.

I think Askren might be a little bit more cautious. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a repeat of Jon Fitch vs. Maia some years back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Askren might be a little bit more cautious. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a repeat of Jon Fitch vs. Maia some years back.

Which, if memory serves, was a fun fight based solely on Maia giving Fitch a strong dose of his own medicine.

• Like 2

Not sure how one judge scored that for Albu. Possibly ignoring effective striking and grappling, and just giving points based on who is advancing?

Lookboonmee looked really good in the fight though. Might have been a favourable style match up, hard to tell based on one fight. But she might be one to watch for the future, super skilled and young.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not sure how one judge scored that for Albu. Possibly ignoring effective striking and grappling, and just giving points based on who is advancing?

Lookboonmee looked really good in the fight though. Might have been a favourable style match up, hard to tell based on one fight. But she might be one to watch for the future, super skilled and young.

This on now, our time? Will try to see some.

Edited by The Natural

50 minutes ago, The Natural said:

This on now, our time? Will try to see some.

Yeah, they're in Singapore and it's late afternoon/ early evening there now. I'm like an hour behind though, watching Rando Markos and Ashley Yoder with their unusual tactics and positioning.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, they're in Singapore and it's late afternoon/ early evening there now. I'm like an hour behind though, watching Rando Markos and Ashley Yoder with their unusual tactics and positioning.

Thank you. Nice to have a UFC at a good time over here than the usual early hours in the morning.

Edited by The Natural

This broadcast goes weird every time they go to a tale of the tape. It's like they're cutting in a tale of the tape from another broadcast, with an Air Asia sponsorship and no analysis.

Haven't got there yet. I'm at Ciryl Gane vs Don'Tell Mayes, which is nightmare inducing.

Edited by AxB
Ciryl not Cyril. French spelling, not English.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

Haven't got there yet. I'm at Ciryl Gane vs Don'Tell Mayes, which is nightmare inducing.

I'll put in spoilers:

Demian Maia with the rear naked choke win to Ben Askren in the third round. Demian Maia's a wizard on the mat with his Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.